I wanted to share with the members of JL some important insurance information should you ever find yourself in a position to file a claim.

The people who hit me and totaled my 2012 modified JK had Farmers Insurance, while I am insured through State Farm. Since the other party was at fault, it seemed natural to have Farmer's handle the claim for me. After the arrived at a price for Jeep itself, they began working on a price for the modifications that were done to it. They concluded that the mods where worth roughly .35 cents on the dollar, even though some of the mods, including the Poison Spyder steel front bumper was only installed 5 days prior to the accident. After consulting with my State Farm agent, we elected to file a claim against my own insurance to see what the difference might be. State Farm allowed nearly dollar for dollar for all of my mods which totaled up to nearly 18K. So we proceeding with the state farm claim, who will in turn subrogate my claim back to Farmers for reimbursement. At this point, I have been issued a check for $48,475.88 minus my $1000.00 deductible which I am told will take a few months to receive from Farmer's.
Bottom Line from this experience: Buy a high quality steel front bumper as it might just save your life (as the paramedic informed me mine did). Secondly, have your agent insure your jeep for replacement cost, especially if you have put big dollars into modifications. Keep all of your receipts no matter how insignificant they may seem at the time of purchase as they all add up. Finally, be persistent and document every email and phone call with the insurance people by writing done their name, time and date of call etc...

For what its worth,

FF