Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

New to forum, 2015 JKU with 3.5 AEV, Prodigy Stage 2

Hey guys

First time post here. I'm a new Jeep owner and was inspired by reading the threads here on the Prodigy to get one.

So far, here is what has been done.

3.5" AEV lift with Hellwig sway bar upgrade
    AMP power rail
    Alea Race leather install
    Dynamat floor pan and upgraded stereo
    Poison Spyder Mid width front and rear bumper with tire carrier (Line-X with UV top coat)
    20" Fuel Maverick / Toyo AT2 ( mall crawler jokes here they come)

Ill post pictures when I get the vehicle back, but I'm excited to see how the turbo is going to work out.

My installer is adjusting the tune a bit with the back and forth from Prodigy /Diablo. Word is that the Jeep is scorching fast from mid pedal on but bogging out of the hole. They are working on that tweak and will get it back to me. The prodigy guys have been patient and responsive to the installers as it appears to be a learning curve over doing superchargers.

Interested to hear how the other prodigy guys are enjoying as well
    Thanks
    BK

I'm interested to find out if your installer, Prodigy and Diablosport are able to work together to make some kind of break-through with the tuning. There still seem to be some issues with the tune in the 1500-2700 rpm range. Snarf, NOLAJeeper and I all seem to agree that we have similar issues. Driving style was being blamed as the cause for a while, but I think we were finally able to provide a combination of data logs and descriptions that proved it was not caused by driver input. Last I heard was that Prodigy acknowledged there was an issue, but they had not yet been able to reproduce the issue with a local vehicle, so there's not enough info for them to determine the cause yet. Here's hoping that your installer is a skilled tuner that speaks their language and can effectively communicate important details that can lead to a solution.

Overall, I've been thoroughly enjoying my turbo. The sounds never get old

My wife was recently able to witness me taking off quickly (full throttle through 1st and 2nd gear). She says it was hilarious and she couldn't stop laughing because of how much the jeep leaned back while accelerating, then rocked forward and back as I shifted to 2nd (manual trans). She said the front tires seemed to be on the brink of lifting off the ground. It's pretty amusing from inside the vehicle too.

Bkeef! Welcome to the forums! congrats on the Turbo! It is a lot of fun!! once you get the tuning dialed in you wont look back on the purchase. I had the same issue when i had my turbo installed. Out of the hole full throttle jeep would bog out and hesitate sputter and then eventually rocket out.. sent data logs to prodigy they worked with me for awhile adjusting the air fuel ratio via Itune1000 diablo data logging. Worked out most of the issues. ive had about 4 tunes from prodigy each tune better than the previous.. Most recent tune is by far the best tune as far as daily driving. Smother up shifting as well as downshifting.(i have the auto by the way). Check engine lights have not illuminated. Mind you i still believe that there could be improvements in some of the lower rpms however i feel that its very derivable and tunes have come a long way via dataloggs and emails vs having a custom tune from a reputable performance shop. Keep us posted on your experience. Useless pickles loves data logs as well.. show some pics if you have any.

Thanks guys. I have not had a chance to look at any data logs at all. Totally in the dark until I get the jeep back. I was copied on last email from installer to wes and would love to email this to someone that knows how to look at it. Dying to see what it's doing or supposed to be doing.

Data logs I am seeing are a .drg file.

The installer I am using has done a few Magnuson jeeps but this was his first Turbo. His description was at dead stop and full pedal it would bog down until about 3000 rpm and then it would take off like a rocket. They had him try to power brake it and also stop and floor it and accelerate. He did three passes

PM me or email me at bskeefer at gmail dot com. If one do you guys know how to interpret this thing let me know. The tuner is with the jeep at the shop.

Hoping I get it back tomorrow.
    Thanks
    BK
    Last edited by Bkeef; 01-15-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Details

The .drg files are the tune calibration files themselves. Can't do anything with those files unless you have the Diablosport CMR software, which costs thousands of dollars. Log files end with .log and can be viewed with the Diablosport DataViewer software (download from this page).

Some of the feeling of "bogging down", then taking off like a rocket around 3000 rpm could be attributed to the boost curve of the turbo:

There aren't huge gains below 3000 rpm, but it also shouldn't be "bogging down" compared to stock. Don't expect it to drive like a big V8. You have to get the rpms up above 2500 and give it some throttle to spool up the turbo and create the power. If you try to drive it like a big V8, or expect instant snappy throttle response like a big V8, you'll be disappointed. Adjust your driving style to take advantage of the way the turbo works, and you'll have a lot of fun. Smooth throttle transitions give better results than stomping on the throttle, and don't be afraid of the upper rpm range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkeef View Post
    He did three passes
    On a dyno? are you getting before/after dyno charts?

You guys need to under stand turbos produce boost under stress or high rpm the 3.6 is gutless naturally below 3k and bogging your experiencing is turbo lag very common on a turbo application with a long tube travel from tbe header to the time it reaches the turbo look at the ford 6.7 they minimize turbo lag with by reducing exhaust travel to the turbo to help it spool faster

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    On a dyno? are you getting before/after dyno charts?
    Ok sorry, no dyno. They just did controlled stop and goes with the Diablo hooked up per Prodigy.

I looked back the emails from my installer and he did have a couple of .log files along with then.drg. I'm on iPad so I can't post from here.
    Last edited by Bkeef; 01-16-2015 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Ipad

OK so looked at data logs that I had. Im clearly not the guy to relate to what it sends out. From what I can tell it was stop and go from 0-3500 RPM over and over a few times. I will update everyone as I hear back from my installer and Prodigy. Those guys have had the logs since yesterday so they we should hear back today

Thanks
    BK

Install a boost gauge and you wont have to worry about getting boost logs i did on my jk with a ripp then theyll be no mistakes of you over boost