Close

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    The 2012 Wranglers called for 5w30 on the oil fill cap and in the owners manual. Starting in 2013, they switched it to 5w20. I've heard of people asking about this and getting a response from Chrysler that either is fine. 5w20 is thinner than 5w30, so some people suggest the switch to thinner oil may have been to slightly improve efficiency.

Owners manual states that the oil capacity is exactly 6 qts. The turbo would slightly increase the oil capacity because the lower end of the turbo's oil drain hose is below the oil level in the oil pan, but it's not enough to worry about.

Sorry if this was discussed before, but anyone already installed a catch can with the prodigy set-up? Do I still use the valve that is currently fitted?

Also anyone getting oil in the small filter at the end of the make-up air hose the connects to the driver side manifold?

Quote Originally Posted by AGOM View Post
    Sorry if this was discussed before, but anyone already installed a catch can with the prodigy set-up? Do I still use the valve that is currently fitted?

Also anyone getting oil in the small filter at the end of the make-up air hose the connects to the driver side manifold?

I'm running a catch can, check one page earlier. I was getting oil from breather as well. I have a 2015 and I think the PCV system is a little different which may have been creating this issue. I think all new kits moving forward will use a catch can along with a vacuum line to intake perhaps.

Mine works pretty well. I have seen a couple of drops by the mesh filter but no spraying oil for sure.

BKeef, looking at your set-up for the Catch-Can - which is sweet by the way - i see that its fitted to the driver side, is it connected to the driver side hose, im confused, i thought the driver side was the Make up air side, so shouldnt the catch can be fitted to the passenger side hose where it will be filled with oil vapours comming out of the manifold? This is based on the pictures you posted, not beeing able to see the input to the catch can, and also seeing that the hose with the valve is still fitted to the intake manifold.
    Can someone clarify this for me.

So the catch can is mounted on a custom bracket my guy made. It's miunted on passenger side behind the computer board. The hose that normally has the breather is now connected into to the top of the catch can. Catch can has a braided fitting in the bottom the runs into a T fitting on the oil return line for the turbo going to the oil pan. It actually connects to the bulk head fitting on the pan. Hope that helps.

Not sure why im still having difficulty understanding this.
    What i assumed is that air commimg out from the passenger valve cover to intake manifold which comes with a valve on the prodigy set-up is the air we want to be clean, because its the hose that would be carrying the oil vapours.
    is your jk a right hand drive? Only asking because you mentioned that the bracket is on Passenger side behind computer, for me that would be driver side.

Quote Originally Posted by AGOM View Post
    Not sure why im still having difficulty understanding this.
    What i assumed is that air commimg out from the passenger valve cover to intake manifold which comes with a valve on the prodigy set-up is the air we want to be clean, because its the hose that would be carrying the oil vapours.
    is your jk a right hand drive? Only asking because you mentioned that the bracket is on Passenger side behind computer, for me that would be driver side.
    OK Im in US so we probably are opposite to you.

Sounds like we are flip flopped. Page 7 has a photo of the catch can in the motor on the driver side of my Jeep. I will try and mark it up with photo shop when I have a breather at the office
    B

Hope this helps

Yellow is catch can and line that feeds from back side of motor (oily air/vapor). Orange is intake (motor cover is off for reference), you can see brass check valve on it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeep cc.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	1477

Yes, Bkeef's catch can is on the breather (make-up air) hose, which is still venting to atmosphere. This was done just to avoid oil coming out of the breather, and has nothing to do with keeping oil vapors out of the intake.

An ideal system would have 2 catch cans and a completely closed system for the crankcase ventilation.

1) From the PCV valve (rear engine right/passenger side) -> catch can -> check valve -> intake manifold (AFTER turbo/supercharger, where boost may exist). A catch can here would remove oil from the air that is sucked in while cruising at light/moderate engine loads or idling. This should theoretically improve engine feel/performance during normal daily driving type situations.

2) From engine breather (rear engine left/driver side) -> catch can -> intake system (BEFORE turbo/supercharger, where boost will NEVER exist). A catch can here will remove oil from air that is pushed out of the crankcase by piston blow-by gasses when on boost, and should improve full throttle performance.

The current Prodigy setup simply avoids detrimental effects of oil vapors during full throttle boost by venting the crankcase breather to atmosphere. Good for performance, bad for the environment, and annoying to the nose on a warm day with the top down.

UslessPickles always to the rescue, thats exactly what i was confused about.
    BKeef we drive on the same side, what confused me was when you wrote " its mounted on passenger side behind computer board" so just a miss understanding.
    So BKeef's setup is different from what i was after although i have to say an environmentally consious one, which im also going to immitate, but my initial concern was the setup UslessPickles mentioned which will stop oily vapoures from making their way back to the intake.
    So anyone got the other setup done?