Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Very high speed.

What is high speed? The drive shafts? or the shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    What is high speed? The drive shafts? or the shipping?
    Just a colloquialism. What I meant was that they're pretty frickin nice! Shipping was to be expected across the country covered in winter storms. I think 5 business days.

Since I already have the yokes and flanges installed, the remainder of the installation consists of four bolts at each side of the transfer case and some u-bolts around the u-bolt caps. You start at the transfer case bolts. Now these shafts are heavy as can be. When you have a lift, you can sort of rest the shaft on your shoulder or arm and fiddle with starting a bolt. I don't have a lift of course, so I thought I'd share a couple install tips for the person working alone, and for those without three arms.

Its a pain to hold the shaft up, while rotating it, while gingerly trying to start a bolt. I form a loop with some heavy zip ties, and slide the yoke side of the shaft through it before fiddling with the bolts at the transfer case. This takes about 30% of the weight out of your hand and keeps the shaft closer to level when you install the bolts. Seems silly but it works:

The 12mm 12-point bolts that go into the transfer case flange require a drop or two of red lock-tite. I recommend two things. On the first two bolts, just get the bolts a few threads into the flange. This simply hangs the driveshaft in place so you can rotate it and get to the others with the shaft very close to where it needs to be. So add your red drops to the remaining two bolts and get them tight. Then rotate the shaft removing the first two one at a time, add the lock-tite and reinstall to get tight. This works out well. Then tighten them each down as required.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16440719319_7984d9384b_z.jpg