Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightest possible 37'' Tire Combo

When going to 37s. There are two issues to consider when it comes to power loss.

The goal is to not to reduce the power gained by installing the RIPP Supercharger.

The tire choice was simple. The BFG KM2 is the lightest option when it comes to 37s. Its also the quietest option which was a concern when deciding on a 37" Mud Terrain Tire. The BFG KM2 weighs in at 68lbs. in the 37x1250r17 size.

The wheel HAD to be the lightest wheel we could find. It was the Weld Racing t58. It weighed in at less than 25 lbs.

Overall we went from the 305 Duratrac (34") to the 37" KM2 gainin only about 5lbs per wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duratrac.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	73 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duratrac 2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	74 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weld racing bfg 0.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	75 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weld Racing 3.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	76

I see the weight difference as 5lbs from the duratracs, what was the difference from stock if you know offhand?

I think stock wheels and tires are around 75lbs. Wheel is about 27-30 lbs, and the tire is around 47lbs.

I just had mounted 37 12.50 KM2s to a set of Centerline forged aluminum wheels. This thread has me wanting to measure my wheels and tires in comparison. I went with the KM2s after all the solid things i've read about them.

Get a weight on those forged centerlines, and lets compare weight. Both are 17x8.5 Same tires mounted.

Centerline vs. Weld........

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Get a weight on those forged centerlines, and lets compare weight. Both are 17x8.5 Same tires mounted.

Centerline vs. Weld........
    My spare is in my jeep at the moment - no rear carrier solution. The jeep is getting xpel wrapped. When it gets home, I'll throw the spare on the scale and see where we're at!

Name:	2014-02-28 09.30.02.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	365

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    My spare is in my jeep at the moment - no rear carrier solution. The jeep is getting xpel wrapped. When it gets home, I'll throw the spare on the scale and see where we're at!

Name:	2014-02-28 09.30.02.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	365
    How much do you think the powder coat weighs?

My money would be on the Welds in this case for no reason other than that the design has bigger holes than the centerlines.

When your talking about fractions of an oz. since both wheels are going to be very light, I think that the style will make the difference more than the powder coat.

Regardless. Welds....by a smidge

We'll have to see how that powdercoat stands up to a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    We'll have to see how that powdercoat stands up to a rock.
    I'm sure the Welds will be lighter, but by a relatively thin margin. This is a wholly uneducated guess, but fun to make. The powdercoat doesn't weigh MUCH..but it has some weight. Keep in mind its probably only 3-5 Mils thick. Thicker than paint, but not so thick as to add a ton of weight.

My crystal ball will tell me that both sets will be relatively light compared to any other wheel/tire combo considering the light weight of the KM2s.

Powder and metal both perform poorly vs. rocks. Powder can be touched up with a rock hit vice scratching with metal and the Weld black coating. BUT, metal can be polished. Give or take. I'll probably touch them up in between tire sets every couple years.