Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    I'm sure the Welds will be lighter, but by a relatively thin margin. This is a wholly uneducated guess, but fun to make. The powdercoat doesn't weigh MUCH..but it has some weight. Keep in mind its probably only 3-5 Mils thick. Thicker than paint, but not so thick as to add a ton of weight.

My crystal ball will tell me that both sets will be relatively light compared to any other wheel/tire combo considering the light weight of the KM2s.

Powder and metal both perform poorly vs. rocks. Powder can be touched up with a rock hit vice scratching with metal and the Weld black coating. BUT, metal can be polished. Give or take. I'll probably touch them up in between tire sets every couple years.
    with the 8.5" width, you may not hit rocks with them. The tire pushes out farther than the wheel in most cases.... They might be perfect when you strip the tires.

Well, The official weight is in, verified three times on a digital scale. My Centerline forged aluminum wheels and tires each weigh in at a hair over 105 pounds. That's significantly heavier than those weld wheels you have. Both are intended for the off road community and good use so I imagine both are intended to hold up. I wouldn't mind shedding 10 pounds of weight on each corner!

Im going to go in the garage right now and get to the bottom of this.

Ok here it is.

I weighted the tire on this bathroom scale. Looks like 100 exactly.

If you are just joining us, its a-

Weld Racing t58 17x8.5
    BFG Goodrich KM2 37x12.5r17

So they ended up being closer than we thought.

This is a dirty tire tho. Im not sure how many oz. of road grime or dirt are on it. But whatever. 100lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weld Weight.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	467

I'm more comfortable believing a 5ish pound difference than a 10 pound difference. 5 pounds is a lot to shave off of a wheel and keep it's strength.

keep in mind, as the wheels spin they get even heavier.

Objects spinning gain mass. This is the basis of orbit, and a reason why you should always sacrifice style for weight.

Well I think those Weld wheels have both the style and weight advantage. I suppose style is personal and I love my wheels, but I don't think anyone can argue those welds aren't great looking! And they are 5ish pounds lighter than my forged aluminum babies.

You guys seem bent on weight... And bent on 37s.

is weight a big deal with smaller tires? Or should i make my tire pick based on weight rather than tread?

The bigger you go on tires, the more serious weight becomes.

Smaller tires, it means less...but whatever you do to your new jeep, realize that everything ADDS weight. Very few mods make your truck lighter.

Every ounce drains your power. So yes, weight is the first thing i look at for tires. tread is second.

You will find, the manufacturers that make the lighter mud tires also make the best treads and spend the most research on development. BFG and Goodyear.