Close

View Poll Results: Which Supercharger would you pick?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • RIPP

3 37.50%
  • Magnuson

2 25.00%
  • Sprintex

2 25.00%
  • Other

1 12.50%

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which Supercharger would you go with?

I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a supercharger. I'm curious, for those with a supercharger, and for those without but have kept up on the various supercharger threads, which SC would you go with? No need to respond with a "I'd go with a turbo." I've decided I'm not interested in a turbo at all.

In case your answer depends on the type of rig it would go in, let's use mine since I'm the one asking. 2014 JKU, 6 Speed manual (no worries of transmission programming issues.) I will eventually be putting 37" tires on and I think I'll be doing same as FerriFast and go with 4.88 gearing. I will NOT be putting on ANY other engine upgrades. No air-intake changes, no exhaust changes, nothing, SC is it. My driving is mainly city driving, highway speeds to 55-60mph when going on adventures, and occasional Interstate (75mph) driving. This is my third vehicle for fun, not a required daily driver (though I do drive it every day.)

It seems that there are three SC's right now in contention, Ripp, Magnuson and Sprintex. Here is what I've gathered from each so far...

RIPP
    • Videos of owner show he seems to be passionate about making sure the SC and the tune solid. Has the mentality that "you take your family off-roading with you, you can't afford a failure or issue." Sounds like they've done the most amount of real-world testing of actual off-road trips.
    • I believe they are now including an oil catch can as part of their shipments? Must have been watching and learning from forum postings (and has actually posted on JL forums.)
    • Appears to produce the lowest amount of boost of the group, choosing reliability and drive-ability over outright performance.
    • High Elevation pully available that produces 11 PSI instead of 8 PSI @ sea level, they don't advertise this much because they chose reliability first.
    • SC does require maintenance, I believe at 100,000 miles.
    • Sweet looking SC intercooler, but requires some frame modifications to fit.
    • Indicates should take about 8 to 10 hours to install yourself.
    • Centrifugal style SC, which has "spool up" more like a turbo.

MAGNUSON
    • SC is the same one used by Audi (whom does massive R&D,) produces boost sooner and more linear.
    • AEV has chosen Magnuson SC for their resale, so it potentially will be most mass-installed since Chrysler dealer network is in deep with AEV. More installs = more support going in to product.
    • High Elevation pully available that produces 11 PSI instead of 8 PSI @ sea level. I believe JL tried to install this afterward and found it near impossible, so best to order with it originally?
    • SC intercooler not as cool looking, but does not require frame modifications?
    • SC never requires maintenance.
    • SC supposedly has bypass valve that turns off almost all SC drag when not on boost.
    • Indicates should take about 8 to 10 hours to install yourself.
    • I've heard lots of tuning complaints about Mag SC.
    • Roots style SC

SPRINTEX
    • I believe I read lowest price?
    • I believe I read highest boost?
    • I believe I read lowest stated install time?
    • Sounds like Sprintex support is really good, really fast?
    • Don't know much more about Sprintex, please fill in good/bads.
    • Twin Screw style SC.

[Thanks goes to Pickles for clarifying which manufacturer was which type of SC between cent, roots and twin screw.]
    Last edited by Timmy; 02-04-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.