Close

View Poll Results: Which Supercharger would you pick?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • RIPP

3 37.50%
  • Magnuson

2 25.00%
  • Sprintex

2 25.00%
  • Other

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which Supercharger would you go with?

I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a supercharger. I'm curious, for those with a supercharger, and for those without but have kept up on the various supercharger threads, which SC would you go with? No need to respond with a "I'd go with a turbo." I've decided I'm not interested in a turbo at all.

In case your answer depends on the type of rig it would go in, let's use mine since I'm the one asking. 2014 JKU, 6 Speed manual (no worries of transmission programming issues.) I will eventually be putting 37" tires on and I think I'll be doing same as FerriFast and go with 4.88 gearing. I will NOT be putting on ANY other engine upgrades. No air-intake changes, no exhaust changes, nothing, SC is it. My driving is mainly city driving, highway speeds to 55-60mph when going on adventures, and occasional Interstate (75mph) driving. This is my third vehicle for fun, not a required daily driver (though I do drive it every day.)

It seems that there are three SC's right now in contention, Ripp, Magnuson and Sprintex. Here is what I've gathered from each so far...

RIPP
    • Videos of owner show he seems to be passionate about making sure the SC and the tune solid. Has the mentality that "you take your family off-roading with you, you can't afford a failure or issue." Sounds like they've done the most amount of real-world testing of actual off-road trips.
    • I believe they are now including an oil catch can as part of their shipments? Must have been watching and learning from forum postings (and has actually posted on JL forums.)
    • Appears to produce the lowest amount of boost of the group, choosing reliability and drive-ability over outright performance.
    • High Elevation pully available that produces 11 PSI instead of 8 PSI @ sea level, they don't advertise this much because they chose reliability first.
    • SC does require maintenance, I believe at 100,000 miles.
    • Sweet looking SC intercooler, but requires some frame modifications to fit.
    • Indicates should take about 8 to 10 hours to install yourself.
    • Centrifugal style SC, which has "spool up" more like a turbo.

MAGNUSON
    • SC is the same one used by Audi (whom does massive R&D,) produces boost sooner and more linear.
    • AEV has chosen Magnuson SC for their resale, so it potentially will be most mass-installed since Chrysler dealer network is in deep with AEV. More installs = more support going in to product.
    • High Elevation pully available that produces 11 PSI instead of 8 PSI @ sea level. I believe JL tried to install this afterward and found it near impossible, so best to order with it originally?
    • SC intercooler not as cool looking, but does not require frame modifications?
    • SC never requires maintenance.
    • SC supposedly has bypass valve that turns off almost all SC drag when not on boost.
    • Indicates should take about 8 to 10 hours to install yourself.
    • I've heard lots of tuning complaints about Mag SC.
    • Roots style SC

SPRINTEX
    • I believe I read lowest price?
    • I believe I read highest boost?
    • I believe I read lowest stated install time?
    • Sounds like Sprintex support is really good, really fast?
    • Don't know much more about Sprintex, please fill in good/bads.
    • Twin Screw style SC.

[Thanks goes to Pickles for clarifying which manufacturer was which type of SC between cent, roots and twin screw.]
    Last edited by Timmy; 02-04-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

RIPP. these other guys are STILL playing catch up.

Also keep in mind that those are 3 different types of superchargers that develop different torque curve shapes.

RIPP - Centrifugal
    Sprintex - Twin Screw
    Magnuson - Roots

Here's a general comparison of how torque curve shapes differ:

"PD Blower" in that chart would be "Roots". Twin Screw is missing from that chart, but it is a compromise between Centrifugal and Roots.Twin Screw has some decent boost at lower rpm (but not as much as Roots), and increases boost through the rpm range.

If Sprintex has higher peak boost than Magnuson, then it's most likely only in the higher rpm range.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Also keep in mind that those are 3 different types of superchargers that develop different torque curve shapes.

RIPP - Centrifugal
    Sprintex - Twin Screw
    Magnuson - Roots

Here's a general comparison of how torque curve shapes differ:

"PD Blower" in that chart would be "Roots". Twin Screw is missing from that chart, but it is a compromise between Centrifugal and Roots.Twin Screw has some decent boost at lower rpm (but not as much as Roots), and increases boost through the rpm range.

If Sprintex has higher peak boost than Magnuson, then it's most likely only in the higher rpm range.
    pickles, who are you voting for here?

Sprintex is the black box of the group. No one really knows anything. Mags problems have been documented, but i think they are getting on track now with that thread about the tune getting corrected.

I think it's too early to make any decisions based on tune quality. Everyone is still working out some annoyances in their tunes. If RIPP has the best tune right now, it's probably most likely because they got to market first and have a head start on getting feedback and data logs from many customers. If tuning annoyances are an absolute deal breaker for you, I think the best decision would be to be patient and wait a while for more fine tuning from all the manufacturers, and get more feedback from owners of each kit with future refined tunes.

Based on boost/torque curve shapes alone, I like the twin screw style (Sprintex). Big gains throughout the RPM range, but biased toward the upper RPM range. Boost at low RPM is rougher on the engine than the same boost at higher RPM. Also, having big boost at low RPM would most likely tempt me to make use of that boost at low RPM, potentially lugging the engine (but letting the boost "push" through the lugging). Biasing the gains toward higher RPM rewards/encourages you to downshift and make use of RPMs to get power, which is gentler on the engine. This isn't as much of a concern if you have an auto trans, since it will automatically downshift as you press the throttle down more.

At the same time, though, an auto trans means that a kit biased toward high RPM power will give you the best results for street driving. Push the pedal down, transmission will downshift, and you'll be at higher RPMs making big power. You'll rarely be able to make use of any big low RPM boost with an auto trans (only when at low enough speeds that the transmission can't downshift because you're already in 1st gear at low RPM).

What I'd really like to see is a dyno chart comparing torque curves of ALL forced induction options on the Wrangler, from the same dyno

One detail I don't like about the Sprintex and Magnuson is that the IAT (intake air temp) sensor is BEFORE the supercharger, so it's not actually measuring the temp of the air entering the engine. After the temp is measured, the air gets heated up as it's compressed, then cooled back down some amount by the air-water heat exchanger. How can the tune accurately take into account the final air temp if it's not directly measured? I'd like to know more about how they deal with this.

You should also read through the install guides yourself to see exactly how involved each kit is.
    Magnuson: https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Ins...ion/200973.pdf
    Sprintex: http://www.sprintex.com.au/wp-conten...igned-off..pdf
    RIPP: Can't find it online with a quick search. Contact RIPP?

BTW - Those install guides are all MUCH more clear/detailed than the Prodigy install guide. The supercharger install guides are actually targeted at competent DIYers, where the Prodigy install guide is targeted at experienced install shops that are assumed to already have all the best-practices knowledge, easy access to look up torque specs, etc.One of the guides above gives details instructions on how to disconnect the fuel line, which would have saved me from breaking the clips if the Prodigy instructions included that detail

Magnuson and Sprintex install are more involved/complex than RIPP because of the air-water intercoolers.

I like that Magnuson and Sprintex both retain the stock air box, for max protection against water ingestion. This also means that snorkel kits are directly compatible with these superchargers.

It's really a tough decision that can only be made based on your personal priorities. For example, I actually like the torque curve of the Sprintex better than the turbo... but there's just something about turbos that made me want the turbo more. The overall subjective experience of driving a turbo vehicle won for me.

Basically, if there's one particular style of forced induction that you really like for no particular logical reason, go for it. The stock engine is already practical. We're beyond practicality now when adding forced induction, so pick what will make you smile every day, rather than what is objectively practical.

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to write that entire thing Pickles! I'm going to have to go back and re-read to digest it all when I have more time. I didn't realize that roots vs. twin screw were that big of a difference, but as I've started to do some research, I'm learning they are. I am finding interesting information that the Eaton SC that Mag uses is not technically a roots, but more of a roots/twin screw hybrid. I'll have to research into that more to confirm though, and to find out exactly what that means!
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Timmy. like JL, I did my own Mag install and would be happy to discuss how it went and what I would change in the instructions. I would count on a bit more than 8-10 hours. I had three mechanics, myself and two others, all of who have quite a bit of experience. No special skill needed but lots of careful torquing and lots of steps. With breaks for meals it took us about 12 hours including time to update vehicle software.

The good news is whatever you pick you'll have friends here to share their experience and help out.

I just remembered, one or more of these SC's requires a different oil filter setup, correct? Which one was it, and is a good or bad thing?

Here's another question... Which SC is the quietest in operation? Don't get me wrong, I understand no matter how you do it that seeking more horsepower will always result in more sound, but if I have the choice and all things being equal, I'd like the quietest SC I could get.

I partially ask because I was just watching youtube videos of the Sprintex installed on JK's, and the Sprintex seemed noticeably louder than than the Mag SC videos.

Wow, found an AWESOME document on the Eaton 1320 TVS SC that Magnuson uses. Pickles, that has your name all over it -> http://www.engine-expo.com/forum_200...rt_walling.pdf

The document helps to answer some of the questions on why the Magnuson youtube videos seem to indicate a quieter operation than the other SC videos I'm seeing.