Close

View Poll Results: Which Supercharger would you pick?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • RIPP

3 37.50%
  • Magnuson

2 25.00%
  • Sprintex

2 25.00%
  • Other

1 12.50%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The only supercharger experience I have is a quick drive in a 3.8 Sprintex Wrangler JKU with an automatic transmission. There were definitely times when I could feel bypass valve open/close as I adjusted the throttle and crossed that manifold pressure threshold, because there was a small sudden change in power delivery that could be reliably reproduced by modulating the throttle. I noticed this while cruising at freeway speeds in overdrive. I could imagine that the magnitude of the change in power delivery would be bigger if you were flirting with that threshold in 1st gear while trying to climb over something off road. Have any of you supercharger guys experienced anything like this?

One thing I like about the turbo is that boost is not an on/off thing. It's a continuum of boost that scales with engine load. Smoothly pressing the pedal gives you smoothly increasing boost. On the other hand, the roots and twin screw superchargers can actually give you near full boost at low rpms if you push the pedal down enough to close the bypass valve, but no matter how much you press the pedal, the turbo just can't give you much boost at low rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    ...I could feel bypass valve open/close as I adjusted the throttle... [snip, snip] Have any of you supercharger guys experienced anything like this?

One thing I like about the turbo is that boost is not an on/off thing.
    Well, for what it's worth, your experience is 100% opposite of mine. In a different application, I get tired of the turbo. I have driven turbo'd VW's and Audi's now for about 13 years, and every time I punch it across an intersection, I sit there and yell at the car "go you stupid fast car, go" and then when it hits 2500 RPM, it's like a kick in the butt. There is NOTHING linear about it. < 2500 RPM, no power, > 2500 RPM, full power. Granted, my Audi's are all chipped to higher boost, so the boost hitting is more dramatic then what Audi originally programmed in.

Now shift to my driving experience of Audi's with superchargers (the S4, A6, and A7.) There is NO on/off in the experience. The supercharger is dead quiet and fully smooth and linear in it's delivery. Happens to be the same SC that Magnuson is using.

Pickless, did you look through that PDF that I posted a link to in this thread? I think you would find the graphs at the bottom most interesting in the comparison of naturally aspirated vs. turbo vs. supercharger and why Eaton is showing an SC to be a better application for maximum MPG and maximum performance.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.