Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pickles Tire Covo

Jeff, we all love you, but I want to see some larger tires or mud terrains on that beast.

Lol. Don't worry. Tires/wheels are next on the list. My current savings would allow me to purchase 1 wheel, so it will be a while. My wife and kids frequently remind me of the inadequate small size of my tires. They point out any Jeep or truck and say "they have bigger tires than you. why are your tires so small?"

I'll be getting "the combo" - 33x12.5 Duratracs with 15" wheels. I have 3.21 gears, so I'm a bit concerned that I'll want to re-gear as soon as I try driving with the new tires. It'll take a while to save up for a re-gear after the tires, though. I plan on going with 4.10 gears and TrueTrac LSD front and rear.

Jeff, that is some very unsafe driving. I like your style.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Lol. Don't worry. Tires/wheels are next on the list. My current savings would allow me to purchase 1 wheel, so it will be a while. My wife and kids frequently remind me of the inadequate small size of my tires. They point out any Jeep or truck and say "they have bigger tires than you. why are your tires so small?"

I'll be getting "the combo" - 33x12.5 Duratracs with 15" wheels. I have 3.21 gears, so I'm a bit concerned that I'll want to re-gear as soon as I try driving with the new tires. It'll take a while to save up for a re-gear after the tires, though. I plan on going with 4.10 gears and TrueTrac LSD front and rear.
    I'm not convinced you'll need/want to regear with 33s. I'll be interested to see if I"m correct.

Oh dear Lord, please don't take the time to "upgrade" to 33's, those are far too small. I have 35's on my Jeep right now with 3.21 gears, and it's not bad. If I had an SC/Turbo, it would be more than fine. I realize this is more of a daily driver for you, so MPG is important, but it just seems sacrilegious to move a Jeep off the OEM tires to a only a 33" tire. Right now I have my studded winter 35" Duractracs on, and I just measured them so I could re-program the speedo with my AEV ProCal, and they _measured_ at 33.75" tall. Tell me that isn't a rip-off. 35" tires only coming in at 33.75". I hate to think what the real size is of 33" Duratracs.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Oh dear Lord, please don't take the time to "upgrade" to 33's, those are far too small. I have 35's on my Jeep right now with 3.21 gears, and it's not bad. If I had an SC/Turbo, it would be more than fine. I realize this is more of a daily driver for you, so MPG is important, but it just seems sacrilegious to move a Jeep off the OEM tires to a only a 33" tire. Right now I have my studded winter 35" Duractracs on, and I just measured them so I could re-program the speedo with my AEV ProCal, and they _measured_ at 33.75" tall. Tell me that isn't a rip-off. 35" tires only coming in at 33.75". I hate to think what the real size is of 33" Duratracs.
    x2 anything short of 37s and you are wasting your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    A lot of trouble comes with 37s. I'd agree with the point that 35s are very do-able without many mods. They look right on a JK and wont' break the bank or the jeep. BUt its Jeff's bad decision to make...

Oh dear Lord, please don't take the time to "upgrade" to 33's, those are far too small.
    Do you guys know something more than me about how I plan to use my Jeep and what my personal preferences/priorities are?

I have 35's on my Jeep right now with 3.21 gears, and it's not bad.
    Auto, or manual trans? I have a manual, which requires numerically higher gears for equivalent performance to an automatic.

If I had an SC/Turbo, it would be more than fine.
    Since I have the turbo, there's really no extra power at lower rpms. I'm concerned about sluggishness when getting started with my manual transmission (no torque converter to perfectly "slip" and *multiply torque* without wearing any parts).

I realize this is more of a daily driver for you, so MPG is important, but it just seems sacrilegious to move a Jeep off the OEM tires to a only a 33" tire. Right now I have my studded winter 35" Duractracs on, and I just measured them so I could re-program the speedo with my AEV ProCal, and they _measured_ at 33.75" tall. Tell me that isn't a rip-off. 35" tires only coming in at 33.75". I hate to think what the real size is of 33" Duratracs.
    33" Duratracs measure about 31.75". I currently have the tiny base model Sport tires that measure at only 28.5". About 3.25" and 11.4% gain in tire diameter, and about 1.6" gain in ground clearance. That's a decent upgrade in ground clearance. It's an upgrade in rain/snow/off-road traction. It's a big upgrade in appearance. It's a reasonable/affordable upgrade to a lightweight tire/wheel combo that will have minimal effect on MPG and will not require any additional cost/effort on supporting mods (I already have a 2" budget boost for full articulation clearance). I don't want or need to get into larger tire sizes that require larger lifts, which require more expensive kits to do it correctly, putting more strain on various other stock components that should really be reinforced/upgraded, etc., etc.

The 11.4% gain in diameter will be felt as about a 10% loss in acceleration across the board for daily driving purposes, which is why I'm concerned about it feeling sluggish to me. It doesn't matter if you feel that 40" tires with 3.21 gears feels fine to you. It's the relative change in feel to me that matters.
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 02-11-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Do you guys know something more than me about how I plan to use my Jeep and what my personal preferences/priorities are?
    No. but i do have LOTS of experience watching guys go to 33s, then 35s. then 37s in the same year. Lot of unused tires in my neck of the woods. Its an expensive route.

In my book, its stock rubi 32s, or 37s.

In my book, its stock rubi 32s, or 37s.
    Why are stock 32" rubicon tires ok with you, but not 33" Duratracs?