Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post
    You should never leave someone behind just because of their choice of equipment. Every persons budget is different. There's no reason to treat people as such. We are all trying to enjoy the same pastime. I also don't take lightly to people who tear sh** up and doesn't give a crap whether they do or not. It's people like you that give the rest of us a bad rap and the reason why many off road clubs have to continue the fight to keep ORV parks open. I can see why you had a short stay in that club.
    Brother, he'll never see your point. Do like Elsa and let it go. I've driven all kinds of large vehicles...I'd never want to own one or take one off road at an off road park. Booooo rrrriiiinnng. Ever seen a deuce and a half rock crawl? Nah. But Kaiser does his thing and has an opinion and that is what he's sticking too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Brother, he'll never see your point. Do like Elsa and let it go. I've driven all kinds of large vehicles...I'd never want to own one or take one off road at an off road park. Booooo rrrriiiinnng. Ever seen a deuce and a half rock crawl? Nah. But Kaiser does his thing and has an opinion and that is what he's sticking too.
    I've seen a Tatra T 813 rock crawl. I've rock crawled over stuff with my M35... I'm more into a Dresden Braslau Rally stuff or truck trial stuff.... Rock Crawling is boring to me. Give a raging river, an open field that will become a quagmire of mud 3 feet deep and I'm happy; Oh and give me a good 40 inch snow storm-- love snow. I like rock walls I usually drive over them no problem. With the new lockers in the truck the off camber stuff with it be great.

The smallest I would go is a Unimog u900 but I like the u1300 and u1500 series a lot. But really when in doubt I go bigger!

I just realized how much I'd like to see you and your rig on the next Alaska Offroad Warriors show. I have a feeling you and your rig would make for some very entertaining TV.

http://www.history.com/shows/alaska-...arriors/videos
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    I just realized how much I'd like to see you and your rig on the next Alaska Offroad Warriors show. I have a feeling you and your rig would make for some very entertaining TV.

http://www.history.com/shows/alaska-...arriors/videos

I just don't think that show is really a history show. I'm not a fan of it. But I would love to trek across Siberia in Winter. Too bad Putin is being a moron.

My take on KaiserBill -

The horned helmet says it all. Seems like a wrecking ball of a person, Will ruffle your feathers if you take him too seriously, I think snarf got caught in that trap.

"I leave guys in the woods" Probably not, I know these gruff fellas, They talk a big story about being hard on rookies, but then are canibalizing their own rigs to help a less experienced wheeler out of a jam.

Maybe he spoke out of turn about Yukon, but lets all get past it. It takes one bad experience with a product to hate it. And the internet is loaded with experts.

Don't screw with Horned Helmet and Cigar. I think that is necessary equipment.

Well, the reality is that I cannot go off road in the company of smaller trucks than myself. I'm too big and even when I don't mean to do damage to the trail I do. That's the reality. Think about it if you have 37 inch tires and I have 41.70 inch tires and I'm sinking into the mud 12-20 inches at points you don't have the clearance to follow in my tracks. You have maybe 8 inches of ground clearance with a 4" lift .which is the highest practical lift to operate with on the road. So that simply means that you are stuck in my ruts all day long and I'm stuck pulling you out. So basically, I really cannot go out with normal small trucks. I have to go so far behind people that it is boring for me. Which is sort of a bummer.

There are some logging roads that reaction out into the mountains where I go but I cannot film their because well it is not legal for me to go. But I do. In the Spring I give the Skidders a good run for their money when it comes to mud creation. Nor can I film in the quarry it is the town quarry!

As for pulling out trucks-- well that is easy but, I can damage vehicles very easily with the brute force of the truck. In low range this truck will just keep pulling until it rips off parts of the others' vehicle. And it would take 3 to 4 jeeps to extract myself from a mud pit. So, I just go places by myself. It makes it easier-- a little boring at times but easier because i don't have to worry about the other vehicles of smaller size traveling behind me.

You're right I really don't leave people behind- I just don't go out with others because it is way way too hard. But I wanted to see what sort of reaction I would get if I used the Top Gear Rules...

As for Yukon Products-- no, I don't like them at all. I've seen several failures of the gear sets in relatively easy driving applications. But, hey if people like them what do I care. I would as I said just get gears from a custom gear shop or a company like Ouverson. Then again I have basically no other choices for my 2.5 ton Rockwell Axles but Ouverson or custom gear shops. And the Rockwell Transfercase I can only have custom gears made for it because no one else works on it. The Drive Shafts I purchased custom only because of the size the shafts are short and DANA 1710's weren't available in my size. Otherwise I would have used them since they work fine up to the torque ratings I want. So, this was just easier and about the same price.

I like to talk about all trucks- Jeeps, Maz, Kraz, Unimogs, Urals, Tatras, Oshkoshs, Walters, FWD's, Fauns' , Deutzs, and so on. I don't believe in focusing on just one vehicle or type so on I believe in learning about them all seeing what features on each truck are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    My take on KaiserBill -

The horned helmet says it all. Seems like a wrecking ball of a person, Will ruffle your feathers if you take him too seriously, I think snarf got caught in that trap.
    Understanding intent on a forum is like playing poker on the internet. It just doesn't work right. Fortunately it would take a lot more than a bit of trolling to ruffle me. Doesn't mean I won't poke back if I think the opinion is ill-informed. I just think that (like you said) Kaiser is a different kind of off-roader and is outspoken. Trying to tell him publicly about the tread-lightly mantra and the negative effects of trashing the trails, will all fall on deaf-ears. Its just not his style.

That being said - he's in to the trial truck style of wheeling - which seems popular in most former soviet and eastern european countries (which I've surmised from the language in the plethora of youtube videos). Sweet. Unfortunately, there aren't many (any?) places near me where people do that kind of wheeling. I saw a deuce and half up in Rausch Creek driving through a mud hole and making a 9 point u turn.

Kaiser - seriously - what do you do if you get a flat tire with that thing or pop a bead? Do you use a bottle jack under the axle to lift it up (even small ones are rated at 20 tons) Do you just drive on the other tires to safety or a shop? Can it be done by a single person? I've seen a stryker tire changed by one person, but it took some serious effort and some staging.

What kind of mileage do you get? I get between 16 and 17 with my turbo. My carb'd v8 CJs got maybe 8-10mpg. I can't fathom what a trial truck my burn through..

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Understanding intent on a forum is like playing poker on the internet. It just doesn't work right. Fortunately it would take a lot more than a bit of trolling to ruffle me. Doesn't mean I won't poke back if I think the opinion is ill-informed. I just think that (like you said) Kaiser is a different kind of off-roader and is outspoken. Trying to tell him publicly about the tread-lightly mantra and the negative effects of trashing the trails, will all fall on deaf-ears. Its just not his style.

That being said - he's in to the trial truck style of wheeling - which seems popular in most former soviet and eastern european countries (which I've surmised from the language in the plethora of youtube videos). Sweet. Unfortunately, there aren't many (any?) places near me where people do that kind of wheeling. I saw a deuce and half up in Rausch Creek driving through a mud hole and making a 9 point u turn.

Kaiser - seriously - what do you do if you get a flat tire with that thing or pop a bead? Do you use a bottle jack under the axle to lift it up (even small ones are rated at 20 tons) Do you just drive on the other tires to safety or a shop? Can it be done by a single person? I've seen a stryker tire changed by one person, but it took some serious effort and some staging.

What kind of mileage do you get? I get between 16 and 17 with my turbo. My carb'd v8 CJs got maybe 8-10mpg. I can't fathom what a trial truck my burn through..

Tread lightly-- I am treading lightly as 18500lbs of truck will do. I mean come on. The bigger the truck the less ecofriendly it is.

Tires: Well they aren't hard to get off the front with a proper heavy duty breaker bar and 2 ft pipe. The only problem is to remember Right Side of the truck has right hand threads and the left side has left hand threads on the tires. I use a couple of 20ton jacks and bring a serious amount of cribbage. The duals are more annoying but they can be done in the field. It is best to get to a flat spot and then repair the tires. As for the loss of a bead- not big issue since the tire is tube type-- yeah baby 1940's tech. But trying to reseat the bead in the split rims will probably get you killed in the field. It is best to put the spare on and fix in the shop with the tire cage-- that is unless you like being dead or maimed. Again 40's tech at its best!

Fuel consumption on the high is about 10mpg cruising at 50mph at 2400rpm if you do a 900 mile trip. Around town you get about 6mpg. The Trail Trucks maybe get 2-4mpg-- did you see how much black smoke-they had the injector pumps turned up very high.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserBill View Post
    Tread lightly-- I am treading lightly as 18500lbs of truck will do. I mean come on. The bigger the truck the less ecofriendly it is.
    Funny, when that phrase started to become popular for off-roading, I just don't think they envisioned it being used on military vehicles. You could say the same thing about grenades and dynamite. "Blow-up lightly!" "Well, I try to blow-up as lightly as possible, but let's be real, it's 5 sticks of dynamite and there's only so much I can do to be eco-friendly with 5 sticks."
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

The truth is that if you drive off-road you will do damage to the environment. I personally, try to keep the damage to areas where its overall impact is reduced. Like blowing up 5-sticks of dynamite in a quarry and not in a pristine river bed.