Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Just upgraded to 37" tires!

Woo hoo! Just upgraded to 37" tires. Found a set of almost new Toyo's at a good price that I just couldn't pass up on Craigslist.

My previous were Micky T Baja ATZ's. I also run DuraTrac studded in the winter. I must say, these 37" tires are smoother and quieter on the road than the Baja ATZ's, which is incredibly surprising to me given that they have much wider spaced lugs on them. The upgrade came sooner than I was expecting as I was planning on getting other things upgraded in preparation first, but I figured it would be drivable enough as it was. My only issue right now is that I am getting a touch of front bumper rub when I crank the wheel hard and hit a bump. I'm actually finding it rubbing in three different spots. I was planning on upgrading to an AEV bumper, so that just moved up on the list (it was my next upgrade anyway.) They are also rubbing slightly on the air deflector under the bumper, which I'll lose with the AEV bumper, so I don't really care. There is slight rub on the front inside fender down at the bottom by where the step is located, but it just needs a little more securing to get it tighter to the body and it should be good to go. I know if I get flexing this that the fender itself will rub, so down the road I'll probably switch out to flat fenders.

On the power side of things. I'm still running the 3.73 axle ratio (it's a manual trans.) It's not horrible, and in fact the change was less dramatic than I was expecting from the 35" tires. It is still 100% drivable in every day traffic. I'm just holding in a lower gear a little longer, so really, it's only 1st gear and 6th gear that are the biggest issues. I think I'm going to follow Ross's lead on this one and only upgrade to 4.56 gears. I think 4.10 gears would have been more than fine for the 35" tires, so 4.56 should be great for the 37". That being said, I'm looking forward to hearing from FerrariFast on this as I know he just got his Jeep with the same tire setup, but went with 4.88 gears (granted he got a supercharger as well!)

Looks wise... Well... When I bought the Jeep with the 35x12.50R20 tires on it and 4" lift, I always felt it looked a high-school-ish, like the Jeep was trying to jump off the tires. Now, it looks proper. Today my point was proven perfectly. I picked my daughter up from school and her boyfriend told her "the tires look too big on your dad's Jeep." And... point for dad. Only a high school student would make such an outlandish comment, and this is the same kid that thinks an AWD Subaru could go anywhere my Jeep could go.

As we all know, pics hardly do justice, but here you go...

Before with 35" Micky T Baja ATZ's on 20" XD Bully wheels
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140420_18_48_07_Pro.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	1524

After with 37" Toyo Open Country M/T's on 20" XD Bully wheels

Name:	WP_20150301_11_59_57_Pro.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	1525

Ps. If someone could send me a link to what type of gear I need to purchase, I'd be grateful. I've looked on northridge4x4 (they are in Seattle, just 4 hours from me so shipping is quick) but there are so many different gear options I'm not sure what all I would need for a 4.56 gear change.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Looks good, you should challenge the boyfriend with an off road adventure and he can drive the Subaru. Make sue you take plenty of recovery gear, you will be towing him a lot. From the looks of the 37's you may need to upgrade those fenders and chop the bumper.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

Just upgraded to 37" tires!

If your going to stay with 37s for a long time i recommend 4.88 gears

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    If your going to stay with 37s for a long time i recommend 4.88 gears
    I say the opposite. Autos need gears worse than manual trans. Think about what you are spending on the gear change, and think about a power mod. A supercharger would make a huge difference.

I say pay for everything else and drive for a while with the 37s and see how you feel.

I drove 37s with 4.10 for a long time. Then i thought 4.88 was too much when I changed. But we do a lot of highway driving in the northeast.

Nice upgrade. I love the toyos. The aev bumper will be heavy. Are you keeping stock flares?

PieFace (ross) will be here sooner or later that guy is the gear guru.

When you do get gears...Get Yukons. No matter what you may have read.....LOL

Ahhhhhh Gear talk!..... Seems like yesturday I was in the same spot, and got it wrong.

Now, take into account, that BB had a supercharger. So my experience is with a very light tire, (km2) Light wheel (Weld Racing at the time, PMtruck Wheels now)

So if your truck is a slug now with the toyos, and whatever wheels you have, You may want to consider 4.88. If its "livable" with 3.73, then I say go to 4.56.

What you are giving up with the 4.88 is the highway criusing gear. BB was SLOOOOOOOOW with 4.88s. I swore I ruined her. with 4.56s now, she is still not the rocket she was with 4.10 on the highway. But she is more responsive across the RPM band.

Gears are a leap. You want to be certain you get it right the first time. The expense for doing it twice is horrendus.

I think the 4.88 v 4.56 is a matter of how much you intend to take her off road. My jeep is for weekends, bad weather, and whenever I feel like it. The only time I'm above 70 with her any more is on the way to drive her off road in PA. That being ssaid, I'm perfectly comfortable with my 4.88s at 70mph. I don't feel the RPMs are too high and crusing is a breeze. The low-end crawling benefits of 4.88s with the MT are great. Very low crawl ratio.

If I had the turbo before the gears...I may have gone 4.56, its hard to say. I'm with ross that if you DD your vehicle and spend a lot of time on the highway at 75mph then 4.56 may be the better choice. Gears are a leap...you really just have to read enough about them to make a decision you are comfortable with. Either way, I think the only mistake would be to spend the money on something like 4.10s. You'd be happy 4.56 or 4.88.

Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
    Looks good, you should challenge the boyfriend with an off road adventure and he can drive the Subaru. Make sue you take plenty of recovery gear, you will be towing him a lot. From the looks of the 37's you may need to upgrade those fenders and chop the bumper.
    Oh believe me, if he actually OWNED a vehicle, I would. Really nice kid, but honestly, he was riding with us and made a comment that Subaru's were made in German. I told him "I hate to burst your bubble, but Subaru's aren't German. You know what a Rice Burner is right?" Well, you can imagine the rest of the story.

Yep, fenders and bumpers on the list. I've actually been prepping for 37" tires for a while, and I was going to do fender and bumpers before the 37" tires, but the opportunity came up so I jumped on it. I can't really go banging around off-road right now because I know I'll rub on the fender. When I back up and turn sharp, the bumper rubs. So... I'm going to get the new bumper here pretty quick to at least take care of that.

Fortunately I already have the Teraflex rear tire carrier, so at least I don't have to upgrade that, but I do need to go get a new 37" Toyo mounted on my spare as it is still holding my 35" Baja's. Why in the world people only buy and sell 4 tires at a time on craigslist is beyond me. A complete set to me is 5 tires. Oh well, saved enough money by buying on CL to save on the cost of a new spare ;-)
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    So if your truck is a slug now with the toyos, and whatever wheels you have, You may want to consider 4.88. If its "livable" with 3.73, then I say go to 4.56.
    Yep, what you just said is exactly the way I feel. It is livable with 3.73 right now. If I absolutely had to, I could drive her with 3.73 until the day I got rid of her and enjoy it a ton. I really think 4.56 is going to be the right gearing for me.

So... Can you guys give me an idea, exactly what do I need to purchase? Are we talking two of these for $238 a piece or is it something more? I have a local shop just 20 seconds from my house that could probably do the install for me.

Name:	wmd44gear.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	1527

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    I think the 4.88 v 4.56 is a matter of how much you intend to take her off road. My jeep is for weekends, bad weather, and whenever I feel like it. The only time I'm above 70 with her any more is on the way to drive her off road in PA. That being ssaid, I'm perfectly comfortable with my 4.88s at 70mph. I don't feel the RPMs are too high and crusing is a breeze. The low-end crawling benefits of 4.88s with the MT are great. Very low crawl ratio.

If I had the turbo before the gears...I may have gone 4.56, its hard to say. I'm with ross that if you DD your vehicle and spend a lot of time on the highway at 75mph then 4.56 may be the better choice. Gears are a leap...you really just have to read enough about them to make a decision you are comfortable with. Either way, I think the only mistake would be to spend the money on something like 4.10s. You'd be happy 4.56 or 4.88.
    Well dang, now you have me questioning if I should go to 4.88. Since I don't have a Rubicon, I will say the low-gear range on the Jeep has never felt low enough to me. When I had my 35" tires and I would go off road with the kids to some places, I just never felt like I was able to crawl as slow as I really wanted to (it wasn't horrible, I just liked a bit more crawl-ability to it.)

It is a DD for me (though I have my other vehicle as needed, it's only a DD because it's fun to drive.) I really don't drive 75 Mph very often. I just ran to the airport yesterday, and shoot, the highway speeds are only 60-65mph. I'd pretty well have to drive to Idaho to get to 75mph speed limits. I do that on occasion, but not a ton.

Here's my percentage driving (if it helps anyone to help me pick the right gearing.)
    40% - 0mph-40mph
    40% - 40mph-60mph
    10% - 60mph-80mph (my sedan makes up any other highway driving as needed if it is for business, etc.)
    10% - Off-Road (hopefully this number will increase as I learn the area a bit more.)

I do plan on putting a supercharger in, but unfortunately other things keep getting in the way of finances for this. I'd love to say it will go in this year, but every time I say that, it seems to just always be out of my grasp slightly.