Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You sir, are in a pickle. This is the hardest decision you will ever make with your rig. And getting it wrong is a nightmare. Ive seen guys that knew what they were doing and still hate their trucks after new gears. Others love them.

If you only got 4 tires on craigslist, I say, just run 4.

You will not change a 37" tire on the side of the road. Go with that streamline tail with no tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    You sir, are in a pickle. This is the hardest decision you will ever make with your rig. And getting it wrong is a nightmare. Ive seen guys that knew what they were doing and still hate their trucks after new gears. Others love them.

If you only got 4 tires on craigslist, I say, just run 4.

You will not change a 37" tire on the side of the road. Go with that streamline tail with no tire.
    Haha, thanks for the supporting thoughts ;-) I think the 4.56 is the least "daring" of the two given that my current gearing is drivable. As for a spare tire... Well, I'll always run one. There is no way I will ever be stranded somewhere with my kids because I popped and wasn't prepared, it's just not an option.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

I just finished my Teraflex rear tire carrier install. I had installed the door bracket a while back to support the extra load of the 35" tire, but I hadn't installed the actual tire mount yet because I wanted to wait until I had the 37" tires first so I could get the adjustments right on it. One of the reasons I went with the Teraflex HD system is because it they did a great job with keeping the tire as close to the rear door as possible, and since it's mounted on the door, it operates just like factory solution to open up the rear door. Other solutions I found had the tire mounted pretty far from the back tail gate, which only made the Jeep that much longer, and many required a two step process to open up your tail gate.

In all, I'm thrilled with the solution. I had to take off one of my 37" tires from the hub so I could test fit everything since my spare is still the 35" tire. I didn't want to take it in to get the 37" tire yet until I had the Teraflex mount in place. Here's some pics to show just how close the tire is to the tailgate. They actually have you push the mount as far in as possible to get the tire to literally touch the bracket for added support.

[Don't mind the crazy straps hanging from the rafters. I did that to hold up the tire so I could take it on and off to make adjustments without having to lift it up each time.]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150307_13_16_20_Pro.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	1530

Name:	WP_20150307_13_16_41_Pro.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	1531

Name:	WP_20150307_13_16_34_Pro.jpg 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	1532

Name:	WP_20150307_13_17_03_Pro.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1533

Name:	WP_20150307_13_16_58_Pro.jpg 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	1534
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Let's see, other news. So I decided I'm going to order the MetalCloak control arms to get rid of my suspension squeeks. I was going to go to the $200 AV/Stock control arm route, but after I watched was videos on the MetalCloak solution, I just decided to go big and do it right the first time (well, second time, to get rid of these nasty Pro Comp piece of junk control arms.) I'm thinking of also putting in their dual rate springs, as they sound pretty nice and I can see that my 4" lift is just a little shy with the new 37" tires from a clearance perspective. I'm hoping the fully adjustable MetalCloak control arms though will help me with that so maybe I won't need the springs. I think I need to bring my rear axle back slightly so that my tire won't hit the pinch seem if it compresses up into the body. Right now, it looks like it will rub if I have any up travel, though I do believe the axle moves backwards during up travel so maybe not?

Also on deck is the new bumper. OEM bumper is rubbing slightly on hard turns. I may turn my OEM bumper into a stubby for a short while until I get a new bumper.

Should be a fun year of upgrades!

Looking good timmy, keep us posted on the tire carrier, i know there have been issues with it in the past.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
    Looking good timmy, keep us posted on the tire carrier, i know there have been issues with it in the past.
    Do tell. I haven't heard of any issues, so I'd like to know what to keep an eye out for.

The welds crack and brake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails attachment.jpg  
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

I think that had to do with the older design on the carrier part itself. It has been redesigned. I just installed the same carrier a couple weeks ago. My issue is that my tire can't sit up against the hinge like it specifies due to my JCR rear bumper. It doesn't have the notch for the tire to sit in like the OEM or other bumpers. I even pressed the studs into the 37" tire location even though I am running 35s, for now, so the tire sits at the highest location.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post
    I think that had to do with the older design on the carrier part itself. It has been redesigned. I just installed the same carrier a couple weeks ago. My issue is that my tire can't sit up against the hinge like it specifies due to my JCR rear bumper. It doesn't have the notch for the tire to sit in like the OEM or other bumpers. I even pressed the studs into the 37" tire location even though I am running 35s, for now, so the tire sits at the highest location.
    Ahh yes, I think you are right. I had been researching this today since ljvsnyder brought it to our attention. It does appear that early on Teraflex had an issue and has redesigned the bracket and weld a bit, of which I believe I have the new design. That being said, I'm going to keep a close on eye it. It's pretty easy to check whenever I'm putting groceries in the back ;-)

Bummer that you can't get your tire up close. I could have actually installed mine in the 35" slots and the tire would have literally rested on the back bumper perfectly. It went back and forth about which being better, resting on the bumper, or being pushed all the way to brackets in the 37" holes. I opted for the latter because I was worried that possibly the rear door would not latch correctly if the bracket drooped at all and thus had the tire hit sooner on the bumper.

Either way, thanks guys for the input!

BTW... Metalcloak control arms are on order! Can't wait to get rid of these stupid squeeks. Now I have to decide when I'm going to pull the trigger on the bumper because the slight rubbing is getting annoying. Right now, I'm a rolling sound machine when I come into the parking lots between the squeeks and the tire rub. I'm sure people are looking at me like "idiot, doesn't know how to put a Jeep together." They're probably right ;-)

Good to know it has been corrected.