Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ahhh, the pain!!!! MetalCloak arms are 2 weeks out! I swear, I'm not sure I can possibly grease these dumb Pro Comp bushings enough to last for two weeks. This is gonna kill me!
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
    The welds crack and brake.
    Crap i need to check mine. Otherwise I love the teraflex carrier. I think its reall the only option leaving the ability to really customize the rear bumper. The other carrier i like, is AEV. Not their bumper tho, just the carrier, and cut it into whatever bumper you choose. PURELY because of their fuel carry option. I love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    It is a DD for me (though I have my other vehicle as needed, it's only a DD because it's fun to drive.) I really don't drive 75 Mph very often. I just ran to the airport yesterday, and shoot, the highway speeds are only 60-65mph. I'd pretty well have to drive to Idaho to get to 75mph speed limits. I do that on occasion, but not a ton.
    If your truck is a DD in any respect then lean toward the lower ratios. I have 4:10's and a supercharger (soon to be hemi). I drive mostly on the road and mostly at irresponsible speeds (this post will be in evidence at my trial). I love my setup. Most guys focused on being off road want/need something taller. I thought hard about 4:56s and would think that they will serve you well in most situations. At some point when I wake up from my drunken binge spending and am ready for my next "bender" I plan on upgrading to Dynatrac axles. At that time I'll probably go with 4:56s. Every time I do the math 4:88s and taller gears result in too high RPMs for my comfort everywhere but in the dirt (unless you've got 40" tires). Just my thoughts.

BTW - nice looking truck.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    The other carrier i like, is AEV.... PURELY because of their fuel carry option. I love that.
    You mean like this fuel carrier option for the Teraflex? (grin)
    Link to forum posting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e2ajavyb.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	1536

Or maybe this one?
    Link to forum posting

Name:	F9572F25-6C76-4E35-ACAA-A2FBF7BEA6BA-20115-00001DB8547DA70F_zps31c95ef2.jpg 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	1537
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by gbaumann View Post
    At that time I'll probably go with 4:56s. Every time I do the math 4:88s and taller gears result in too high RPMs for my comfort everywhere but in the dirt (unless you've got 40" tires). Just my thoughts.

BTW - nice looking truck.
    Thanks for the comments. I think you're right, 4.56's sound the best for now. Since I have manual, I can always downshift easily enough, but if you are in 6th gear on the highway and it has too high of RPM, well, there's nothing you can do about that. I'd rather 6th gear be a hair too short on the highway then too tall.

Thanks for the compliment. I get comments about it all the time when in town but really the only thing different about it than a standard Sahara is the lift and tires. That will change this year though as I get a new bumper, hood, front lights and 50" light bar and who knows, maybe some type of decal on it as well (like a big picture of South Park's Timmy on the hood, that would be funny, and the "Timm-ey" sound as the horn, ba haha.)

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    You mean like this fuel carrier option for the Teraflex? (grin)
    Link to forum posting

Name:	e2ajavyb.jpg 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	1536

Or maybe this one?
    Link to forum posting

Name:	F9572F25-6C76-4E35-ACAA-A2FBF7BEA6BA-20115-00001DB8547DA70F_zps31c95ef2.jpg 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	1537
    Thats cool! Is there a pic with the tire in place?

Just upgraded to 37" tires!

I just regeared from 3.21s on 35s with a manual to 4.10s and it is a perfect combo for my 2 door 2013 jk with a ripp super charger

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Thats cool! Is there a pic with the tire in place?
    Just did some snooping around on google images and found the following

That alone would make me want the terraflex setup.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

I've got to say the Subaru Rally WRX Impreza from the mid-1990's was pretty unstoppable in FIA Rally course. Obviously, the Rally car isn't designed for crawling over obstacles like a lifted Jeep is but then again you probably would be doing a 120-130mph on an unprepared surface like the Impreza can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTrBxVtQbe8

However, the best of both worlds-- Current 7 time Champs of the Dakar the KAMAZ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FcEuuakWPg

It can do a 130mph in the open and crawl over rocks too...

I do have to ask one question like the kid if you are doing mostly highway driving why get the 37's? If it is just for the looks okay. You'll need to get a pinion puller for the pinion gear. As for gears get the best ones you can afford. Make sure they have a lot of contact between the teeth when they mesh. That way you will distribute the torque across the complete surface of the tooth. That is important cheap gears tend to have less contact area and can easily damage the teeth under high torque loads.

Here is the truth about gearing a truck-- you really need more than just a change in differential gears. You really need to change the gearbox gears as well. But no one does that-- unless you are a rally racer. Because you need to change the torque rise between each ratio to really get the best performance for your vehicle. The charts for tires and differentials only give you an approximation of the normal performance of your vehicle with the stock stuff. Since I don't care about top speed too much-- I always go for mechanical advantage. I would pop- 10:1 differential gears into the truck if I thought it would give me the Earth moving performance I wanted in 3 feet of snow or mud. But that is me.