Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pypes HGC exhaust

Well I picked up a Pypes HGC exhaust for my 2013 JKU awhile back and finally got it installed today.

First, anytime you are working on anything make sure to have the right tools. I thought I had everything I needed and went to my Dad's barn. Better than working on it in my gravel driveway. Picked up a set of exhaust hanger tool, made getting the hangers loose really easy. I also got out the trusted WD 40 to lubricate everything. The rear muffler wasn't an issue, but the clamp on the mid pipe is pointed up and made it very difficult to get leverage on it. I ended up removing the transfer case skid to get a little more room.

The instructions were pretty limited, but how much do you need to know in taking an exhaust off and installing a new one. More than you would think. If Pypes reads this in my opinion they need to lengthen their mid pipe by about 2 inches to give more adjust ability in the final fitment. It took about 30 minutes to get it just right to avoid exhaust leaks.

Now for the initial impression. The sound is very throaty on start up and calms down a little after about a minute of idling. Acceleration is a lot louder than I would prefer with little throttle input. Once you get to a steady speed the sound is tolerable, a little more drone than expected. according to the decimeter on my phone the sound inside was 81DB at 60mph. Getting on the throttle is where it excels in sound, reminds me of going to Saturday night races.

Performance gains, I don't feel any seat of the pants increase in HP or power. After about 50 miles of 80% highway and 18% city and 2% idling, my fuel mileage appears to be improved to full on stock setting. Prior to tires and lift being installed I averaged 18MPG around here, and after the mods went down to 16.3MPG on average. After 50 miles I am showing 18.5MPG.

Sound Clips
    Interior at highway speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuKlfN91m_Q

Exterior heading out of the driveway, camera stopped working when I stopped, I will post a better video later.

Overall impression not bad for the price I paid, just over $200. The best part is this clears up a lot of space under the rear of the jeep, future plan would be for an OBA with the AFE skid OBA bracket.
    Last edited by ljvsnyder; 03-16-2015 at 08:39 AM.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.