Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wow a quick response back.

It is going to be pretty hard to show a leak. The only way I could see it is if black soot along with condensation was coming out and staining the muffler. This might take a while to happen.
    You have the SJJ21R kit? Correct? ?
    I will send you out a replacement muffler.
    What is your "complete "full name, address and telephone number?

I offered to test it and they responded right back with the following.

That might work but I don't want you to go through all of that effort. If you say it is leaking there then I will replace it.

They are definitely a stand up company.

on another note not a long term test by no means but fuel report after a full week of normal driving and my average MPG is up by 1 MPG.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

That makes sense - if you can't feel exhaust coming out there, then you're set. If its really bothering you - mix up some JB weld and carefully fill in the small hole with a tool like a q-tip or even a tooth pick. Smoothe it out and BAM - mental peace.

You can feel the exhaust. They have mailed the new muffler and i get to keep this one. May just braze the hole and leave it on and save the new one in case i have any issues down the road.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
    You can feel the exhaust. They have mailed the new muffler and i get to keep this one. May just braze the hole and leave it on and save the new one in case i have any issues down the road.

Is it plated or actual stainless steel? Stainless can be hard to braze.

put the new one on, if you braze it the bad one and leave it on, drive for years, and then sell, you would never have had the correct one installed. I say put the new one on, braze the other, and leave it in the basement, just in case. But go with the best components from the door especially since others will use your opinion posted here to decide weather or not to go with the pypes unit.

the braze would be a cool video also.....

It is actual stainless steel. I have brazed stainless before, I hope my dad still has some sticks to use. I don't want to buy a box of sticks for 1 pin hole. I will try to video it, but my plan was to do it while installed. A lot will depend on how easy it is to get the current muffler off if I change it out. It took me several times to get the pipe in the correct position to avoid leaks. In my opinion the mid pipe needs redesigned, to get the all pieces to install you actually have to put everything in a bind to get it to line up. The last bend needs to be further back or possibly removed.

Follow up after nearly a month of use. Getting right at 1mpg better fuel mileage. The drone at speeds from 50-65 mph on long drives is a little much. At 70mph and above the wind noise over takes the exhaust drone. Things I would change, the location of the muffler, I would move it further forward away from the evap system. I would use a less straight through muffler to reduce drone. Now that RIPP has an exhaust coming out that seems to do that I can't wait to see reviews on their exhaust.

drone is not good. It will make you crazy. Not that pypes exhaust is bad for having drone. Pretty much they all do.

you put an exhaust on, you get drone.

For me the drone isn't a killer, the kids love the sound, just the wife and the niece who live with me hate it. The neighbors aren't to fond of it either, but I try to be respectful and not give it a lot of throttle within the neighborhood. I am really curious to here the new RIPP exhaust, it looks like it has a more muffled sound.

This is the response I received from them today.

"This doesn't appear to be a leak. The mufflers are welded on a mechanical spinning jig. What you can't see inside the muffler is the weld on the inside. So while it may appear to be a hole on the outside at the weld there is a weld on the inside 360°"

Photos of the leak.

You should put something on it like soapy water start up the engine-- if it bubbles it leaks! Take a video of it bubbling and send it off to the company. There response will be humorous to say the least.