Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Truth be told, the Wrangler is very capable out of the box. I remember when I had new, factory TJ. I went off-roading with a bunch of guys that had lifted old school Chevy Blazer's, Ford Bronco's, built CJ's, etc. I remember there was one section of a the trail that was pretty steep and crazy and they were all having trouble getting up it. I came tooling up with my wife, dog in the back seat, and just navigated nice and slow up it no problem. When we got to the top, they were all amazed at how much easier I made it compared to them (they literally were taking running starts at it and bouncing all around.)

As for the upgrades... It is the upgrades that makes the Wrangler so fun. I would hate to see Wrangler after Wrangler on the streets that has a factory 4" lift and 35" tires, all decked out. Shoot, as it stands, I get a little irritated to see the stupid AEV built Wranglers sitting at the Jeep dealership, where they just shipped them off to Michigan to get the AEV treatment, bring them back and slap an extra $20k on to the price. When I see the people driving the dealer-made AEV Jeeps around town, I just sit there and think "loser." Not because their Jeep isn't good, but because they don't know why it is good, what it can do, why you put certain parts on, and why, for the love of all things on this planet, you DON'T NEED A DAMN SNORKLE if you buy an AEV off the lot because you are tooooo much of pansy to ever submerge your Jeep into 4 feet of water!

So, I guess to answer your question... I like the Wrangler just as it is. It's a great off-road vehicle right off the lot, and 90% of the people never take it off pavement. For those that do, you *get* to upgrade it however you like, so that every built Wrangler on the road starts to take on it's own personality. That doesn't mean Chrysler couldn't step it up and make it even more customizable, actually fix their damn electrical junk so it doesn't fail, etc. but for the most part, there really is no other vehicle like it on the market right now. What I would LOVE to see is if Toyota would ditch their stupid full-sized Landcruiser and go back to the old-school Landcruiser that was an actual competitor to the Wrangler, with removable top and a roll-bar. Then we'd actually have a competitor to Jeep to help push them harder. Can you honestly imagine Toyota building a Wrangler competitor today? The thing would be dependable beyond belief.

Can I ask a question how much offroading do you really do?