Let's consider the great potential of the Jeep frame with a bevy of beautiful possibilities ranging from the inline to V designs that are common place designs. To the more obscure designs of the flat horizontal opposed to vertical opposed designs. Of course the opposed type engines are more problematic than the conversions of the larger inline or V type engines. But let's look at the history of the Jeep for a second.

The Progenitor of all Jeep Engines: The L-134 Go-Devil 4cylinder L- head type!!!
Displacement: 134CID
Horsepower: 60hp
Torque: 105 ft-lbs

This engine has more in common with the Ford Model T Engines... Meaning this is some seriously old technology!!!!

And this engine pretty much powered the Jeep with modest upgrade to the Hurricane F-type head engine (which isn't much of an upgrade if you ask me) to the Iron Duke I4 2.5L
90hp
120-130ft-lbs of torque
and overhead valves-- what a concept!

In the same year they also got the first of the V's

The Buick Designed V-6 3.7 L Dauntless ( or as many have called it the Gutless!)

About 170hp and 200ft-lbs of torque at best...

Then AMC enters the Scene with two modest engines:

I6-- 3.8L engine about 170hp and 240ft-lbs of torque... It soldiered on for along time in the Jeep chassis in various configurations that extend to a 4.6L engine and like most AMC products it was less than fantastic! Hell this stupid engine made it all the way to 2006...

Any engine found in a Gremlin is a bad choice!!!!

And then the V8--- Satan's little 8.. Again if you can find it an Gremlin or an Eagle-- it probably means it is of low quality!

Now, of course we all now the more modern engines in the Jeep arsenal. However, right now I ask you what do you prefer? Myself being a fan of Diesel Engines I find the 6 cylinder Inline format to be the most productive and well balanced format for this type of engine. For example we are talking 2100 to 2600rpm usually works out to balance the best and be the most efficient design for engines ranging from 6L to 18L in displacement ... It is just simple fact that for those rpm ranges and piston speeds and displacements love the inline configuration. Now, sure you can use a V-8 in those as well usually if you want higher piston speeds for the same displacement and a more compact configuration.

Right now I'm pretty keen on a Cummins V8-300 785CID engine. It is a nice compact design and the V8 creates some advantages for getting a big bore diesel engine up to 3000 rpm without excessive piston speeds for the engine. Then again I am also really in love with the Detroit Diesel 2-strokers in the V-12 and V-16 configurations-- because really can you ever get a enough displacement and turbos on an engine?

So, back to my point what is the quintessential engine for the Jeep? I think it is any type of inline Cylinder engine myself. Personally, for me that would be a Cummins B Series engine most likely the 4 cylinder engine but if you can squeeze the 6.7L I6 in it then I say go forth and do so. Why the Cummins? Well it is light weight relatively speaking and be built up to amazing Hp and Torque Levels! Not to mention it is pretty cheap to work on given the Cummins logistical facilities. If you can squeeze a V8 Hemi in it I bet you can put the Power Stroke 6L size models in as well if you like to. Or perhaps a big block 454-bored out to 505 (8.3) is more to your liking.

Then we have the oddballs Boxers! I really don't think anyone would put one into the vehicle. That being said it sure would be a sort oddball creation if one did.