Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RK Sport Carbon Fiber Ram Air Hood

Something was missing....

I knew Black Betty was mean, 37s, supercharged, but I didnt get the "stop the presses" attention i thought she deserved.

Enter the RKsport Carbon Fiber Ram Air Hood.

1. Its their carbon fiber model, wich is good because you wouldnt paint it, and its marine carbon fiber so it wont yellow over time.

2. The look is very agressive. Makes the truck look like its snarling at you.

3. FUNCTION - this should probably number one. Its a ram air hood, so my RIPP supercharger breaths cold air while the channels inside the hood keep the air moving and water out of the engine bay.

Im very impressed with it so far. The packaging was the sprayed in foam, so it was locked in place, and the finish on the hood was fantastic.

The underside of the hood is fiberglass, so its very rigid, but not a whole lot lighter than the stock hood, about 8 lbs. Thats the cost of the excellent design.

Carbon Fiber hoods are really normally very light, but also flimsy. This is more of a carbon fiber shell top on top of the channel system thats made of fiberglass.

Packaging

Here's how it looks coming out of the box. Well packaged and held in place with spray foam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RKsport Jeep JK hood package.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	89

Here it is out of the box.

The resin is marine grade so it wont turn yellow. It really is very cool up close. Here it is unpacked.

Name:	RKsport Jeep JK hood 1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	90

I know what your thinking.... Sure the carbon fiber looks good on a black truck, but what about my Dozer? or Rescue green?

The RK sport people have other options, that are cheaper, and have exactly the same function. You can get an all fiberglass model, that you'd paint for almost half of what this full carbon fiber model costs, but then realize that your adding the cost of a paint job.

They also have a middle grade that has the outer area of the hood all fiberglass, and then blister in the center still carbon fiber. That'd be a cool look on any truck. - Body paint matched hood with a REAL carbon fiber power dome on it. Really cool.

Name:	RKsport Jeep JK hood cf blister.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	106

Here's how it looks on black betty.

Really mean looking.

Name:	RKsport jeep jk hood jeeplab.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	108

Hood looks awesome. I was wondering if your air filter will get wet when you are driving in the rain?

That garage floor looks awesome too. What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hood looks awesome. I was wondering if your air filter will get wet when you are driving in the rain?
    The air filter is protected by baffles inside the hood. So air goes in, and thru, but in order to get to the intake, it goes, over one half wall, and under another to keep water out, but let air flow in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    That garage floor looks awesome too. What is that?
    The floor is Pure Metallic Epoxy.

Its a military grade epoxy floor. Storm cloud base coat, with House of Smoke effects.

Very cool. and TOUGH.

Those hoods look like they'd be useful during the summer to get rid of some heat in the JK's engine bay. I'm switching to the metalcloak aluminium inner fender liners and metalcloak says they are good for up to a 30 degree heat reduction. I bet if you combined them with a hood like this (I like the color matched!) the air allowed in with the more open fender wells would vent up through the hood when idling and then in the front of the hood when moving.
    Last edited by JeepLab; 02-23-2014 at 06:26 PM.