Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Those hoods look like they'd be useful during the summer to get rid of some heat in the JK's engine bay. I'm switching to the metalcloak aluminium inner fender liners and metalcloak says they are good for up to a 30 degree heat reduction. I bet if you combined them with a hood like this (I like the color matched!) the air allowed in with the more open fender wells would vent up through the hood when idling and then in the front of the hood when moving.
    That is cool. For the most part the hood is closed except right over the intake. I would like to see those finder liners, Please post pics when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    That is cool. For the most part the hood is closed except right over the intake. I would like to see those finder liners, Please post pics when you can.
    Here is how they work. With the Metalcloak Overline fenders (overland as well), you remove the plastic liner and replace with some precision bent aluminum pieces shown here in red:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fender liners.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	355

I've powder coated mine matte textured black and they should be installed in about two weeks. I can get some better pics then. They seem like they'll keep the mud/muck out where needed while concurrently adding a ton of airflow.

Name:	20140207_190020.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	356

Here is how they work. With the Metalcloak Overline fenders (overland as well), you remove the plastic liner and replace with some precision bent aluminum pieces shown here in red:

Name:	fender liners.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	355

I've powder coated mine matte textured black and they should be installed in about two weeks. I can get some better pics then. They seem like they'll keep the mud/muck out where needed while concurrently adding a ton of airflow.

Name:	20140207_190020.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	356
    from the pic, it looks like theres a space where mud can splash thru. Do they overlap?

No, they don't overlap. They simply cover the open areas that lead to the engine bay and components. The places they leave "open" are where the mud/gunk/salt will hit other surfaces like the tub, frame, etc. Not as much protection as a giant plastic bowl of a stock fender liner but better for air movement, access, etc.

I think those inner fenders from Metal Cloak would be good for heat reduction, but im not sure about how much heat is going out of the channels of the RKsport hood.

The hood takes the air and forces it down to the intake, which is fantastic for cold air, but for helping hot air escape im not so sure. The perhaps at high speeds, the hood would force the hot air of the engine bay out thru the inner fenders, and at low speeds, the hot air may escape through the intake to the rear vents.

My meaning is, you can see the large vents in the rear of the hood. You'd think they were great for heat reduction, but they are not directly open to the engine bay. They are connected to channels that lead to the nose, and to the intake.

So the difference between this RKsport hood and Deola's Heat Expulsion hood is that one sucks air in on purpose, and the other spits it out on purpose?

IT seems like it would have the same effect while driving with the fender liners. While air is heading in and down to the intake, the hot air that it displaced would have more freedom to exit the engine bay.

I could see how, at idle and while not moving, the heat may not have a way to to up and out of the hood through the scoop. But still, that scoop isn't doing a damn thing to bring in air when you're not moving forward anyway. Right?

Name:	RKsport Jeep JK hood cf blister.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	428
    What are the vents to the left and right of the carbon fiber scoop for, if not to allow air in/out? Very curious. This hood looks amazing to me and I must get one for Jesse's girl eventually!

What are the vents to the left and right of the carbon fiber scoop for, if not to allow air in/out? Very curious. This hood looks amazing to me and I must get one for Jesse's girl eventually!
    The vents in th rear are channeled to the nose. So there is only a 6"x6" hole (my guess) over where the intake would be. The rest is sealed.

The vents in th rear are channeled to the nose. So there is only a 6"x6" hole (my guess) over where the intake would be. The rest is sealed.
    I think i really just need to see a picture of the underside of this hood. It would probably make a lot more sense to me.

OK so I found one:

Name:	FireShot.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	429

I wonder how the heck the ram air works with a snorkel that has a sealed air box?!?

Name:	jeephood.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	430