Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

SuperCharger to HEMI Transition?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    ^^That would be an AWESOME thread.

I would have to say tho, Ive pounded on the pentastar a LOT. I think it may surprise you when you try to blow it up.

PS. give me the when and where on the hemi. I want to come see that. Or we could go completely nuts and put a supercharged LS7 in it.. How deep are your pockets?
    Installed Magnuson's new tune this morning (if you're keeping track its date code is 11-1-2014 so if your tune file ends in a date code prior to that you may want to update). It's a bit shaky b/t 2,500 - 3,500 rpm. Surging. Not sure what they are going for with this tune but it smoothed out after warming up. Stay tuned (terrible pun).

Hit the rev limiter twice this a.m. trying to let the auto trans to upshift on its own. It's amazing, I'll be screaming right along and then whamo!, the RPMs drop and moms in minivans are passing me going uphill on Interstate 287 North (for the Jersey guys).

I spoke with my shop (I was happy to put the S/C in myself but I'm not putting the hemi in). They said it's a complete body-off conversion that takes about two weeks. Still pictures are no problem. They will send them as they go. They have a couple of Go Pro cameras set up in their bays and will try to work with me on time-lapse. I told them that I'd like to cover the conversion on JL and they said they would be glad to work with me on it. Now I need your advice on how that's done.

My pockets aren't endless but it was a good year. I looked at some of Arrington's supercharged hemi options. It's another $8-10k and AEV is complaining about supplying the conversion kit if I'm going for a custom engine. I'll save an LS project for a camaro or corvette. I plan on recovering as much of the conversion cost out of what I have as I can. I have extra stuff like a billet technology catch can (the one that got lost in the mail arrived and I never sent it back for a refund). I have all of my original Sahara parts (bumpers, wheels/tires, springs, etc). I figure I'd throw them all out on ebay or somewhere and get what I can for them. Same for the pentastar I suppose. I really want to tear it down and see how it's stood up to forced induction. Not sure what's going to happen to the Magnuson S/C. Probably sell it.

Look, I'd leave the pentastar on an engine stand if Prodigy or others are really going to offer new pistons or other internals. Happy to build a bulletproof 450bhp pentastar and be jealous of how much less it weighs than the hemi.

Hey bud! moved your post, I thought it was a good thing others might want to read on its own. Here's my question,

"Hit the rev limiter twice this a.m. trying to let the auto trans to upshift on its own. It's amazing, I'll be screaming right along and then whamo!, the RPMs drop and moms in minivans are passing me going uphill on Interstate 287 North (for the Jersey guys)."

(I was 287 north today)

When you say you hit the rev limiter, your saying that you floor it, the SC sings, and the Jeep is a rocket....But it dosent shift? And you lose the speed you built?

I was staring at the same line about the mini vans also when the thread was moved. I was confused about the same thing JL quotes.

how the hell are mini vans passing you?

When you say you hit the rev limiter, your saying that you floor it, the SC sings, and the Jeep is a rocket....But it dosent shift? And you lose the speed you built?
    That's exactly what happens. Say I'm in 2nd gear with the pedal all the way to the floor. The truck doesn't shift, RPMs go to 6,500 (perhaps higher - it's hard to tell) and after several seconds the computer or something else takes over and just cuts the power off. RPMs drop fast even thought my foot hasn't moved. I go from being pushed back in my seat to being flung toward the windshield. I assume it's the rev limiter or some other safety device taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    I was staring at the same line about the mini vans also when the thread was moved. I was confused about the same thing JL quotes.

how the hell are mini vans passing you?
    When the computer takes over it cuts off fuel or does something to cause a rapid drop in RPMs. The transmission doesn't upshift so there you are on the highway in 3rd gear (sometimes 2nd) and all of the sudden I slow down. It takes a few seconds to recover. I have to lift my foot off the accelerator, let RPMs drop, let the engine come back under my control, let the transmission down shift and then start to accelerate again. If I'm going up hill everyone passes me.

I'll try to film it on my phone (safely) and try to figure out how to post a video.

Sorry, I meant let the transmission upshift.

Here's a video I made this morning. Notice that when I go to speed up transmission downshifts as expected. Then during acceleration the transmission makes an unwanted second downshift. RPMs spike and something - either torque management or rev limiter - takes over and stops acceleration.

I'd love to have the groups collective thoughts on what's going on. Is it torque management or rev limit? Is the the fact that the downshift and RPM spike happen so quickly?

If you go to youtube you can see the tach. http://youtu.be/awmhNJTBY8g

Quote Originally Posted by gbaumann View Post
    If you go to youtube you can see the tach. http://youtu.be/awmhNJTBY8g
    Thank you for the video, unmistakable. What does the SC company say?

Thank you for the video, unmistakable. What does the SC company say?
    They say they are working on it but no progress yet. Diablosport can't crack the the transmission control module.