Close

Thread: Winches...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    At Rausch Creek off-road park there are plenty of 4-5 foot deep mud/swamp/pit/bog areas that will swallow 44s. While it is a prepared area - you're not allowed to jeep alone. Entry requires a group of at least 2 vehicles for the same reasons you point out (not obvious to everyone). Again - there aren't many east coast areas where you can legally roam free across land where you'd encounter a stuck like the one in your video.

That being said - if you wheel alone, you prepare differently and take fewer risks. The mog in that video could/should have gone around that hole if it were alone. No winch required.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    At Rausch Creek off-road park there are plenty of 4-5 foot deep mud/swamp/pit/bog areas that will swallow 44s. While it is a prepared area - you're not allowed to jeep alone. Entry requires a group of at least 2 vehicles for the same reasons you point out (not obvious to everyone). Again - there aren't many east coast areas where you can legally roam free across land where you'd encounter a stuck like the one in your video.

That being said - if you wheel alone, you prepare differently and take fewer risks. The mog in that video could/should have gone around that hole if it were alone. No winch required.
    The Mog actually if you notice didn't need to be pulled or winched out. It made it through the mud pit under its own power. The tow strap had almost no tension on it. My guess is the first truck went through the obstacle then the anchor truck came through it and that is why you saw some tension on it-- as he moved the first truck up to anchor the second vehicle.

Too many cry babies get out and winch it. I'm a big fan of the expedition mode. And hence my desire to go to Alaska.

That being said my point with the Unimog was that you often will find serious mud pits. And often you have few places to anchor itself.
    Last edited by KaiserBill; 03-26-2015 at 11:38 AM.