Close

Thread: Winches...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Knowing how to correctly use your winch is about 10 times more effective than having a bigger winch. Triple line pull would be excessive for most of us driving jeeps as we don't need that much pull. My 8000 Engo should be fine for all but the worst situations, where I'd have to be a bit more creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Knowing how to correctly use your winch is about 10 times more effective than having a bigger winch. Triple line pull would be excessive for most of us driving jeeps as we don't need that much pull. My 8000 Engo should be fine for all but the worst situations, where I'd have to be a bit more creative.
    No matter what the size of the winch is, you have to use it correctly. Or, you die!!!! Literally actually in many cases as a piece of high velocity wire rope or synthetic cord attempts to take your head off or remove other vital organs and appendages from your person. With that disclaimer out of the way. The reality is that many cases you just don't have the required anchoring point near enough to your Jeep (truck) to allow you to do a double or triple line pull if you purchase a smaller less capable winch. Now, of course these types of scenarios are usually only encountered by the ultra hardcore off-roaders. But, you know it could happen to any one. You can drive into an area with bog type terrain sink the vehicle to the frame and have your anchor point too far away for a successful double line pull. Or you could be stuck at the bottom of an incline and need to use a high degree of angle on the winch. This will as I described above reduce your pulling effort as well. So, you have many occasions where having double or even triple the size you think you need might actually be necessary for a successful single line recovery. And if a single line pull is your only hope of getting out-- you need to have a serious winch.

Remember, usually only use a winch when you are alone in the woods or trail.... So, it is always better to have a system that can reach as far as possible with as much effort as possible than to be stuck in an area with a winch too small and too weak to really get you unstuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEC7HhaAuLM

I've seen trails turn to this sort of condition when I drive over them. Also many a Jeep I've seen stuck in areas like this. You can easily find area with deep mud that you didn't account on. This is you are like me and prefer areas that are more expedition then prepared.