Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winches...

And don't forget that winches are usually rated on the first wrap of cable on the drum. The more wraps on the drum when you start winching the lower the rated pulling force. Good post.
    Mod, ORE Magnum 44 sleeves and welded C's, RCVshafts, 4.56 gears, Riddler diff covers, JEReel 1350 driveshafts, Evap relocation kit, AEV rear diff skid, JPI transfer case skid, ORE oil pan armor, Advanced Adapters shift cable, RK 3.5 lift with King 2.5 res shocks with adjusters, MB Black Razor 17-8.5 wheels with 37 MTRK's, poison Spyder brawler sliders, in powder coat, PSC front with a Warn Zeon Platinum and PSC BFH rear bumper.PSC Tire carrier. Oh yeah a Cobra75 to squak on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    And don't forget that winches are usually rated on the first wrap of cable on the drum. The more wraps on the drum when you start winching the lower the rated pulling force. Good post.
    That is true. I've never liked the way most winch charts say One wrap- is that one wrap of cable off or on? Intuitively, I always think that is with one wrap off the drum and have to correct myself that it means that maximum pulling is done with one wrap on the drum.

This is another reason to always have a snatch block or two with you. You might need to use them to change your pulling force so you can secure yourself far enough away from the vehicle to use a single line pull of maximum strength. However, with most electric winches for these vehicles you never have much more than 120ft of wire or synthetic rope on the drum.

The Video of the same photo--
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSl4FkUGh8I

The stump is not exactly that big-- but the winch is probably only 8-9k lbs in pulling force.

The guy has a nice triple line pull set up. However, he forgot to put damper on the wire rope to keep it from snapping and destroying property and people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eycJ616L6DU