Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    So you admit that the entire point of this thread was not at all to provide any practical information that is readily applicable to the Jeep Wrangler, but just to proclaim your love for diesel and show off your knowledge about how they can be heavily modified by engine building/tuning experts to produce massive power.
    Everyone's got their own cup of tea. Who cares if the kaiser is a dieselphile? Buying a new car to rip the engine out to gain 150 hp (and 400lbs) is crazy. Just because society accepts it dosent make in any less crazy.

Kaiser's ramblings are no crazier. Jeep guys love hemi's so we accept it. He loves diesels, I accept that too. ALSO if AEV offered a duramax or cummins conversion, it would probably outsell the hemi. The problem is you cant change the type of gas your car uses in some states. (i think)

Actually, yes it is. The $30k AEV conversion is the cost of a complete "turnkey" package of a professional installation using a kit of OEM-quality components designed to work together flawlessly, designed/developed/tested by a trusted/respected company (who employs some ex-Chrysler engineers) that produces many of the same kit, provides warranty/support for their conversion kit, and essentially promises (their reputation is at risk) that it will be reliable for years to come.

So you admit that the entire point of this thread was not at all to provide any practical information that is readily applicable to the Jeep Wrangler, but just to proclaim your love for diesel and show off your knowledge about how they can be heavily modified by engine building/tuning experts to produce massive power.
    As they say-- Dude, What Are You Smoking??? You're statements have nothing to do with my statement. A guy said I was crazy for my plan. I was merely stating that any time you sink 30-40K in a vehicle it is lost cause for getting your money back. It doesn't matter how reliable it is supposedly from the aftermarket producer you still need to sell some on the fact that your Vehicle is bees knees and to be honest home kits usually don't inspire great after market sales. That was my point. If you're going to sink $30-$40K in a vehicle you might as well make it a MONSTER!

You're in love with drawing false conclusions aren't you? The fact is that no matter who builds it and who puts in it problems can arise. And the fact is the manufacturer will fight you tooth and nail on most issues-- especially ones they can reasonably pass of as end user failures!

Actually, the point of my thread was simply this if you want get massive power from a small displacement engine on pump fuels with great reliability-- DIESEL is the way to go. All of which is actually applicable to the Wrangler type vehicle. I prefer bigger diesels, but the principles are all the same and that is true. So, that is why, I wouldn't necessarily care to build a JK with a 3.9 4BT engine that makes 440-500hp at the rear wheels with 700-900ft-lbs of torque for a daily driver- it is possible. Any time you start pushing 100+ HP liter you run the risk of reliability issues. But, if you can only fit comfortable a 3.9L engine in the slot-- well take what you are given and work with it.

Could you make a kit like Brusiers or AEV that is OEM compatible with super-high HP and Torque ratings-- hell, yeah they do it all the time. I could in theory start the Saleen of Diesel Jeep Conversions. I wouldn't because I'm just not that interested in doing that.

Just wanted to share the results of my improved derpity script. The beginning of your post especially turned out well

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserBill View Post
    As hodor say-- Derpity, Derpity Are You Derp??? You're derp have duuurp to do derp my derpity. A guy derpity I was derpity for my derpity. I was derpity derpity derpy any derpy you duuurp 30-40K in a derp it is derpy duuurp for derp derpy derp duuurp. It doesn't derpy how derpy it is derpity derp the derpity duuurp you derpity need to derpy duuurp on the derpy derpity derp Derpity is derpy duuurp and to be derpity derpity derp duuurp don't derpy derp duuurp derpity derp. Derpity was my derpy. If you're duuurp to derpy $30-$40K in a derp you derpity as derpity derp it a DUUURP!

You're in derpity duuurp derpy derpy derpity aren't you? The derpy is derpy no duuurp who derpity it and who derpity in it duuurp can duuurp. And the derpy is the derp will derpy you duuurp and derp on derpy derpity-- derpy duuurp derp can derpy derpity of as end derpy derpy!

Derpy, the derpy of my duuurp was derp derp if you want get duuurp derpy duuurp a derpity duuurp duuurp on duuurp derpy derpy derp derpity-- DUUURP is the way to go. All of derp is duuurp derpy to the Wrangler duuurp duuurp. I derpy derpity derpity, but the derp are all the derp and derp is derpity. So, derpy is why, I wouldn't duuurp duuurp to derpy a JK derpity a 3.9 4BT derp derpity derpy 440-500hp at the derpity derp derp 700-900ft-lbs of derpity for a derp derpity- it is derpity. Any derpity you duuurp derpity 100+ HP duuurp you run the derpity of duuurp derpy. But, if you can derpity fit derp a 3.9L derpy in the derpy-- duuurp derpity hodor you are duuurp and derp derpity it.

Could you derpy a kit derp Derpy or AEV derp is OEM derpity derpity duuurp-derpy HP and Duuurp duuurp-- hodor, hodor derpity do it all the duuurp. I could in derp derpity the Derpity of Derp Jeep Duuurp. I wouldn't derp I'd derp not derp derpity in duuurp derp.

Just wanted to share the results of my improved derpity script. The beginning of your post especially turned out well

The best part about a well designed diesel engine is that you cruise at about 50%. And I really well built diesel engine with a nice heavy construction will run on the pins all day long. Heavier is better in diesel design--because it lets you run it harder for longer periods of time. This is my one complaint with engines like the Duramax or Powerstroke-- they are too light in my opinion to really get the sort of reliability you want in a highly tuned engine. My self I would stick to the Cummins engines the ones built for commercial applications mostly. Yes, they are heavier, but a little extra weight is a bonus in reliability. That is why I like the old 2-stroke Detroit Diesels so much pound for pound they are at least 1.25 to almost 2 times as heavy as say a Cat or Cummins of the same displacement. Then you have the bonus that every other stroke is a power stroke. So that is a plus. But for a Jeep application-- I think the medium duty 4BT or 6BT (maybe even the new ISB 6.7) would be really awesome to play with. Especially if you set it up for Biodiesel.

The Greener Meaner Bio-Diesel Bandit Jeep...

So what do we actually know about the 2016 Wrangler diesel powerplant? Can it be made to have significantly moar power?

The question of how much more power you can get from it is a good question. I do know this they aren't putting it into the Wrangler yet. As of now it is only available in the Grand Cherokee. I know it is a V6 3.0 liter design with about 240hp and 420ft-lbs of torque. Now, as to how much power, you can tweak out of it with after market modifications is going to depend on several factors: the construction of the block and heads, the standard compression ratio, the common rail fuel injection system and the type of engine management programs they are using.

While, the new computerized systems are great for many things they make turning up power by the home turner more complicated. But, you could probably get safely 90-105hp per liter before really having to get into the internal components of the engine. That is just a guess, but I bet it is pretty close to the safe limits of this engine. It is already running at about 80hp per liter. The biggest limiting factor in this type of engine is going to be the strength of the block and heads.

They are using a variable geometry turbo unit- I'm guessing one. I would have used twin turbos. However, if Garrett ever figures out how to make their single unit Sequential Turbo charger work this might be the perfect application for it.