Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Another Turbo Option from Prodigy Performance?

Prodigy is testing a different turbo with their kit. This one is a Precision instead of a Garrett.

Wicked acceleration with Precision Turbo. Still testing.
    So far 0-60 4.26 Seconds!
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/prodigyperf...type=1&theater

0-60 mph in 4.26 seconds! That's ridiculous!

Not sure yet whether this is part of Stage 3 (does it require the custom forged pistons they showed off a while ago?), or if it can directly swap in for the Garrett in the Stage 1/2 kits.

I did get confirmation that this Precision turbo spools up quicker and at lower rpms than the Garrett!

If this doesn't require forged pistons or any other internal engine mods, I'm going to have a hard time choosing between upgrading my turbo or buying tires/wheels!

I would skip the Prodigy Pretend Performance go with this instead:

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/p...dds_355_tt.pdf

Garrett is a household name. Ive never heard of the other ones. Does that factor in? or does the other have the same pedigree?

it smells like the garret got too expensive for prodigy, or these other guys offered them a deal. whats really going on here is my question.

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPmeOVER View Post
    Garrett is a household name. Ive never heard of the other ones. Does that factor in? or does the other have the same pedigree?

it smells like the garret got too expensive for prodigy, or these other guys offered them a deal. whats really going on here is my question.
    Garrett is expensive, but so are Precision Turbos. Precision turbos are a big-big name in the Diesel Engine Tractor Pulling world wide. Personally, I would use Turbonetics,

Precision is a big name in the after-market turbo world. Quick summary of what I read about them:

They started as a Garrett distributor. Then started making custom modifications to the turbos and reselling the modded Garretts (made their own compressor wheels, etc). When they got big into that and advertising that they made the turbos better, Garrett didn't like that and ended the distribution license. Precision then had to make the whole turbo, including parts of it that they had no prior experience with. They had reliability issues early on, but have improved since then and are now a respected turbo manufacturer.

You can't directly compare Garrett to Precision, because there aren't any turbos with the same exact specs from both companies. The result is that for a given engine, setup, power goals, etc., you may find that Garrett happens to have a combination of specs available that is more ideal for you than anything from Precision, or vice verse.

Based on the limited info so far (0-60 mph in 3.26s, spools quicker, spools at lower rpm, still being tested), it sure sounds to me like cost is not the primary driver for this.

Not sure yet whether this is part of Stage 3 (does it require the custom forged pistons
    !
    Pickles.. Keep you,posted. With luck I should be rolling late next week

BK

I got confirmation that this Precision turbo is a direct bolt-in replacement for the Garrett. It's actually more expensive than the Garrett. It will be an upcharge option for the turbo kit.

They haven't done a dyno comparison yet for a solid objective comparison, but it sounds promising.

I wonder if they'd do something like an exchange for existing Prodigy customers - that would be something right?

If it turns out to be as good as it sounds so far, they'll simply be finally delivering on the promise of "huge low end power" that they advertised in early marketing materials. Only seems fair to help us early adopters out who would have gladly paid a bit extra for the upgrade option if it had been available.

*****MODERATED****

Im trying to keep an open forum where all ideas are accepted. however, there is too much back and forth with things that are slightly off topic, and then the response to those posts. It bores me, and I'm certain others are bored by it also.

So, a message to all - Stick to the topic, and if someone posts something you don't like or feel is not relevent, don't respond to it. keep the thread moving as it should. I'll clean out the stuff thats off topic.

****Carry On!****