Close

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    The exhaust bolts came out without any issues at all. Turned like butter. I spun them out with my hands. The catalytic converters practically fell out... Everything else so far has been Hell. Nothing seems to line up at the front end. Everything loosely installed and my Turbo sitting so far back the supplied silicone hose won't reach around the front for the intercooler. And now I have to remove my winch from my bumper to drill holes for the intercooler. Once we realized that, we just quit for the day. It's1a.m. and I need a shower.... Tomorrow.....

Definitely need to get the turbo and exhaust all tightened up into position before attempting to connect the intercooler hoses. Hopefully a fresh start today with a clear mind will cause it all to make sense

Just noticed the box the turbo came in has a barcode sticker with the following: "5862 SP CEA-1 JB W/ TH5862A"

That's good confirmation that it has the "CEA" wheels. The "JB" is for "Journal Bearing" (i.e., not ball bearing). Not sure what the "TH5862A" means. I'd guess that the "TH" is for "Turbine Housing", and "5862A" means "housing style A for the 5862 turbo"?

Maybe if the weather is good enough this week for me to ride my motorcycle to work several days in a row, I can do the install spread across multiple evenings and get it all done before the weekend

so can you tell the difference with the new turbo?

is the tune better?

Im waiting on a positive review.

I haven't installed the new turbo yet (hopefully on Sunday), and MatthewLee never had the Garrett, so he won't be able to compare. Still waiting to hear if he finished the install, then maybe he'll be able to comment on driveability in general.

Hey guys. I finished the install. At first I was having a lot of issues that turned out to be that the map sensor was not plugged in correctly. The pigtail they send will go on either way since its not originally designed together but does work. There's a blue plastic sleeve inside the plug that is keyed but mine was flipped. Not sure how that happened but I believe when my buddy test fit it and realized it was tight he went to try the plug the other way and the blue sleeve stayed on the other plug. It then went on the wrong way easily.

After diagnosing and coming through that issue it ran pretty good. I have smoke coming from somewhere in the engine bay though. Then I now get an "engine oil pressure control circuit performance/stuck off" trouble code in. So I believe I have a leak underneath the intake manifold where the oil supply line for the Turbo was installed. I'm waiting to hear back from Dan to pull it off and check.

I'll give more updates as I make progress. I want to give a solid review on Performance so I'm waiting until I get all the bugs worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewLee View Post
    So I believe I have a leak underneath the intake manifold where the oil supply line for the Turbo was installed.
    Bummer. At least it will probably be much easier/quicker to remove the intake manifold the second time, now that you're aware of all the little things that need to be disconnected.

As horrible as it sounds, I really hope your problem is a simple leak at one of those connections. It will be a pain to remove the intake manifold, but at least it will be an easy positive ID of the source of the problem, and should be easily solved by re-tightening the problem connection and/or re-applying new thread seal tape (make sure you wrap in the correct direction).

Okay, so a little update. First off, I'd like to apologize for my slow posting. A more than full time job and hobby don't jive right now.

I decided to get under the Jeep to find the oil first. Easy find. It's the spot with all the black oil burned onto the exhaust lol It was just behind the oil pan. The catch can drain was leaking and blowing back onto the exhaust cross pipe. Which explains why I only saw it going down the road and not sitting still. While sitting still it just dripped on the ground.

I tightened my connections up everywhere and topped her off with oil and bam. Problem solved. No more lights.

I can't tell you how relieved I am. The whole time I was telling myself this wasn't going to fix the problem but since it wasn't right I'd go ahead and fix it now. I couldn't be happier.

The Jeep runs great and pulls strong. I am still talking back and forth with prodigy trying to find out if it's running too rich. I get some backfire after letting off heavy throttle. My "Desired FAR" is .07XX, I understand that's not a wide band reading but rather what the computer is trying to get the Jeep to achieve based on it's available readings. Does that seem right?

I got my Precision turbo installed today.

I also installed a replacement exhaust pipe (original had a cracked weld). I had a hell of a time getting that new pipe tightened up against the engine head without leaking. First time I started the engine, there was a loud/obvious exhaust leak. Spent a lot of time re-tightening the bolts, tightening each one a bit at a time to try to evenly tighten the whole mounting flange. The obvious exhaust leak sound is gone, but I'm still paranoid of having an exhaust leak. Data logging didn't help my paranoia either, because its showing that I only hitting about 7.5 psi boost now (was hitting 8.2-8.4 psi with the Garrett).

So I've driven a bit with the Precision, but I'm going to withhold sharing any thoughts about it until I figure out if I still have an exhaust leak somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewLee View Post
    My "Desired FAR" is .07XX
    That number doesn't make any sense. Did you type it correctly? I just looked at a data log (old log, from when I had the Garrett installed), and I see values as low as about 10.27 at full throttle, high rpms.

Dang... I posted a reply this morning but I guess it didn't go through.

Pickles, did you replace your head flange gaskets? And were they in 2 pieces when you removed them? They are a 2 piece gasket that is press formed together in the middle. Mine were separated when I removed them so I replaced them. They are only 5 bucks from the dealer. I was worried about leaks too.

In regards to the FAR, yes. Definitely .07XX No fat fingering there. The 1/1 runs close to zero like it should. It's +/- 10. The 2/1 seems to be a little slower to level out but not much. But for some reason the long term reads 12,6XX% under throttle and then jumps to -100 % during coat down when I let off the gas and goes back to 12,6XX % at idle...

None of this really makes sense to me.