Well, I packed the engine up in a van-- and brought it to a dynameter place a few towns over and we tested it out on a real engine dyno. So, the power was tested properly. I built the flow bench myself using instructions I found in an old copy of Popular Mechanics from the late 1970's. Remember Microfiche in the public library and then I took out every book I could on engine and turbo design. Plus, I grew up with Engineers and Tool and Die Makers! I was only kid in I knew of in school that had a working metal shop in his garage and could use a mill and lathe at age 14. So, I got help from my grandfather and older brother but, I basically made the engine...

Obviously, my tools were not top of the line when it came to flow bench work. But, the point of the story is that when in doubt make your engine flow more air! An engine is just a big air-pump with a series of explosions inside of it. The more effectively it pumps air in and mixes it with fuel the more power you get! Forced Induction like anything else in engine design is about pushing more air into the engine. The more air you flow at any given manifold pressure be it 14.7psi or 200psi will determine how much horsepower you really gain.

There is a reason why a NRE racing engine of 427cid can make a 1000hp on 7-8psi of manifold pressure has to do with way it handles air flow.

On a side note about your math-- 3.6L of air might be what engine's total capacity is-- but that is only theoretical you're VVT engines usually never get more than 92-95% Volumetric Efficiency in naturally aspirated form and that usually at higher rpm-- at low rpms it drops a bit so you might be down to 89-90% maximum efficiency from idle to 3000rpm... Which means that it is a lot easier to push more air into cylinder with less pressure than at 95% efficiency where you need more pressure to see higher hp gains.