Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
has anyone seen this new turbo up close?
Probably not many people. It appears that it's still a prototype. "keathb" on the wrangler forum has been silent for quite a while. He told me that they still have some things to iron out, and also need to set up for production. I remember it took quite a while for Prodigy to transition from final prototype to availability of production kits. I think it will be multiple months at minimum before this new turbo kit could possibly be available.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted1 View Post
Picture That!
I should revise my "close competition" statement to be "alternate approach competition". Based on Atlanta Jeeps' high stock dyno results, I predict that when directly comparing their turbo kit to Prodigy's, Atlanta's will make significantly less torque/power. But it will spool a bit earlier in the RPM range (than the Precision turbo), have a bit less turbo lag when pressing the throttle. Maybe... Atlanta does seem to have a smaller turbo (which should spool more quickly), but their pre-turbo exhaust pipes are much longer than Prodigy's, which is not good for turbo spooling.

Speaking of spooling, I asked for clarification on what exactly they mean by "spools at 1800 rpm". I have recently learned that this is an ambiguous statement. Some people use it to mean "reaches target/max boost starting at 1800 rpm" (objective) while others use it to mean "I really start feeling the turbo kick in at 1800 rpm" (subjective). When you subjectively "feel" the turbo "kick in", it's not making target/max boost yet. It's the quick ramp-up in boost/torque that you "feel".

Prodigy reports that you "feel" the Precision "kick in" at about 2000 rpm, meaning that target/max boost must be reached at some higher rpm (I'm hoping for about 2500 rpm; will test with data logs). If Atlanta's turbo actually reaches target/max boost at 1800 rpm, then it will spool significantly sooner/quicker than the Prodigy kit, and will be a compromise between max power vs low end torque/responsiveness that many Jeep owners might prefer. But if Atlanta is more subjectively describing that you "feel" the turbo "kick in" at 1800 rpm, then it will be very close to the Prodigy (with Precision turbo) in how soon/quickly it spools. If that's the case, then it probably won't be worthwhile to most people to get a turbo kit that spools only 200 rpm sooner at the cost of missing out on the awesome amount of torque/power that you could have from the Prodigy kit.