Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Takin the PLUNGE!!

I've been saving forever, and my JKUR 12 is about to get a shot in the arm.

So JL guys, tell me wich power mod is the best?

I know thats a question that requires some background.

I like to wheel, but dont get out there as much as I'd like. My jeep is manual trans, I know thats a favorite around here. its my daily driver, but im not one of those guy counting the mileage.

So give it to me. All power mods represented here, im talkin go you to baumann, Love your hemi? let me know!

I do love the Hemi! It runs flawlessly. I'm making changes, of course, because that's what we do around here and I'll start a thread on what's coming up. So, here's what I'll say about power mods. Power mods appear to lose power over time. After living with the 6.4L every day I find myself saying, "eh. . . I could use another 200hp." Of course, I haven't driven a stock JKU since I made the change and I suspect that a dose of "reality" would re-charge my power mod instantly.

As for a recommendation, if I had a manual trans I'd go for the RIPP and set it up just like BB. Strip off every piece of truck that isn't purposeful and use as much carbon fiber and aluminum as possible to get the weight down.

Quote Originally Posted by gbaumann View Post
    I do love the Hemi! It runs flawlessly. I'm making changes, of course, because that's what we do around here and I'll start a thread on what's coming up. So, here's what I'll say about power mods. Power mods appear to lose power over time. After living with the 6.4L every day I find myself saying, "eh. . . I could use another 200hp." Of course, I haven't driven a stock JKU since I made the change and I suspect that a dose of "reality" would re-charge my power mod instantly.

As for a recommendation, if I had a manual trans I'd go for the RIPP and set it up just like BB. Strip off every piece of truck that isn't purposeful and use as much carbon fiber and aluminum as possible to get the weight down.
    ^^x2 on the weight reduction. As far as power mod, You would not be disappointed with RIPP and a manual trans. The same could be said for the magnuson once the final tune came out. It was also excellent with the manual trans. I havent driven Jesse's Girl since the turbo was put in, but that day, it was a rocket also.

I think it comes down to your drive style. like a little lower end? but still want the power modulated by the gas pedal? go magnuson, if you like more power further up the rpm band, that just keeps going? Ripp. Strong power line that is less under control, then the prodigy turbo.

If you are intstalling yourself, how easy the installs are might be of note. RIPP and MAG are pretty easy, Prodigy, with the pipes getting routed around is more time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    I think it comes down to your drive style. like a little lower end? but still want the power modulated by the gas pedal? go magnuson, if you like more power further up the rpm band, that just keeps going? Ripp. Strong power line that is less under control, then the prodigy turbo.
    Based on that, how would you expand on it - if you were to write a more specific description of the driver for say..

RIPP
    Magnuson
    Edelbrock
    Prodigy.

I'm looking at these myself. I like the idea of RIPP with a high altitude pulley - the numbers are good, it's not exhaust dependent, and the graph starts off great. But I'm always so drawn back to prodigy because their pushing a significant amount of power more than the superchargers, but the lag time worries me and building boost.

Then again, my rig is primarily a trail rig. River crossings, steep climbs, and mud.

Quote Originally Posted by HahaJK View Post
    Based on that, how would you expand on it - if you were to write a more specific description of the driver for say..

RIPP
    Magnuson
    Edelbrock
    Prodigy.

I'm looking at these myself. I like the idea of RIPP with a high altitude pulley - the numbers are good, it's not exhaust dependent, and the graph starts off great. But I'm always so drawn back to prodigy because their pushing a significant amount of power more than the superchargers, but the lag time worries me and building boost.

Then again, my rig is primarily a trail rig. River crossings, steep climbs, and mud.

If your truck is pimarily a triail rig ^^, Id say go with the one of the SC's. The turbo shines on the highway. and it does SHINE. But in the rocks, i'd personally prefer a supercharger to turbo.

That being said, Of the Superchargers, You have to decide based on preference.

RIPP will crank out more power in acute wheeling situations. Meaning if you are against a rock and want climb it, Id take the spool up of the RIPP to 4500RPM you can get more high end power in the lowest gear and turn your jeep into a torque monster.

Mag and edelbrock will be in the same ballpark, but will be more susceptible to heat at low speeds, and baking in the desert sun.

The downside to RIPP is water. I personally would avoid water that is as high as the intake. Even with a snorkel. People think snorkels make jeeps into submarines, they don't. They are for dust. Not water. And if the seal of the snorkel isn't perfect, you have no snorkel at all.

If you looooooove snorkels, then mag would be my next choice as you can run any snorkel with it.

First jeep i wrecked was a tj with a snorkle. Water never go over the hood, but it wasnt sealed perfect, and i learned not to show off.

terrible day. No snorkels.

+1 to this thread. i, too am on the fence about buying a supercharger for my 2013 6spd 2dr rubi.

in addition to the ones mentioned, i would also be interested in peoples' input regarding the sprintex offering. here is a writeup on it i saw recently:
    http://sophistijeep.blogspot.com/201...-sprintex.html

there doesnt seem to be too much information out there regarding these untis on manual transmissions.

i would be grateful if anyone with a unit installed could answer any of the following:

if you have a manual, how is the tune? any hiccups? does the stock transmission/clutch seem to handle the power ok?

for water intercooled units, has this been a problem? leakage, etc?

im leaning toward the ripp unit, any issues with it?

how has customer service been with your manufacturer if youve had to contact them?

thanks in advance!

*edit, also, how is fuel economy affected on your rig?

I was interested in sprintex also, but the lack of real world chatter, to me, means that its not sorted out completely.

I do not want to be a guinea pig for 6k. I do not want to send logs and help a company figure things out while my rig is less than correct.

No thanks.

I was interested in sprintex also, but the lack of real world chatter, to me, means that its not sorted out completely.

I do not want to be a guinea pig for 6k. I do not want to send logs and help a company figure things out while my rig is less than correct.

No thanks.

I have a snorkel but I don't show off. I have nothing to prove.