Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar21 View Post

i would be grateful if anyone with a unit installed could answer any of the following:

if you have a manual, how is the tune? any hiccups? does the stock transmission/clutch seem to handle the power ok?

for water intercooled units, has this been a problem? leakage, etc?

im leaning toward the ripp unit, any issues with it?

how has customer service been with your manufacturer if youve had to contact them?

thanks in advance!

*edit, also, how is fuel economy affected on your rig?
    Ive played with all the mods you've seen on the site, but only owned a RIPP supercharger with Manual Trans.

My tune was perfect. You'll find that tune problems are more of an automatic's problem, as I know first hand that RIPP and Mag both had top notch tunes with BB and Sweet Pea.

No issues with the Ripp unit or tune.

Customer service - ive had little detail issues with parts of the kit like having to replace the coolant bottle cap, and I reached them after hours, and they had the part to me, a day or two later.

Fuel economy is not an improvement with any power mod. You will find yourself driving more aggressively, and there goes your economic win fall.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Ive played with all the mods you've seen on the site, but only owned a RIPP supercharger with Manual Trans.

My tune was perfect. You'll find that tune problems are more of an automatic's problem, as I know first hand that RIPP and Mag both had top notch tunes with BB and Sweet Pea.

No issues with the Ripp unit or tune.

Customer service - ive had little detail issues with parts of the kit like having to replace the coolant bottle cap, and I reached them after hours, and they had the part to me, a day or two later.

Fuel economy is not an improvement with any power mod. You will find yourself driving more aggressively, and there goes your economic win fall.
    I think it is only fair to tell them that Ripp Superchargers gave you the supercharger. Prodigy Performance delivers more HP and TQ per dollar than ANY product on the market including the HEMI's. We also deliver best in class fuel economy at the same time.

This is our stage 2 kit at ONLY 5.5lbs

ENJOY!

Thats a sweet charger. His girl dosent love him anymore now.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    With the turbo kit, I actually have an overall slight increase in fuel economy. That includes a daily full throttle acceleration onto the freeway and other occasional moments of enjoying the boost.

I just think it's nice that I haven't killed my fuel economy, like what happens with most Jeep mods. When driving gently, I actually get a decent improvement, based on my unscientific results according to memory. I recently drove about 1800 miles total for a 1-week camping trip. About 700 miles of that was towing a small trailer fully loaded up with camping gear for a week, and a family of 4 in the jeep. I averaged just over 25 mpg for the whole trip.

I think with any of the forced induction mods, fuel economy won't get significantly worse than stock unless you drive aggressively most of the time. But also factor in the increased octane requirement. You will likely end up paying more $ per mile overall, even with a small increase to fuel economy, but not by a big enough amount to be worried about. I did the math at one point based on gas prices at the time, and I was on average just barely breaking even.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted1 View Post
    This is our stage 2 kit at ONLY 5.5lbs
    ENJOY!
    So that's with the stage 1 wastegate spring and the boost controller turned down/off all the way? And that Challenger must have the 5.7 Hemi.

What was the 1/4 mile result with only 5.5 psi?

And is there a video of you against a 6.4 Hemi Challenger? I heard you beat one of those at the strip with 9 psi boost.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    So that's with the stage 1 wastegate spring and the boost controller turned down/off all the way? And that Challenger must have the 5.7 Hemi.
    Yes, i am using the AEM TruBoost controller and had it set all the way down. it took me a minute to figure out why the rush was not as great as usual. However it made the video even more impressive.

What was the 1/4 mile result with only 5.5 psi?
    13.3 I believe

And is there a video of you against a 6.4 Hemi Challenger? I heard you beat one of those at the strip with 9 psi boost.
    The other video i have is coming out later this week or beginning of next. Its a good one.

Boosted1, are you associated with Prodigy?

This new turbo is making me sway towards the turbo.. the numbers were better than superchargers before, now they're out of control.

Can someone drive to western Canada and take me for a trail ride??? Ahhh.. that's what I need most. To take a drive in each one.

Quote Originally Posted by HahaJK View Post
    Boosted1 *IS* Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by HahaJK View Post

This new turbo is making me sway towards the turbo.. the numbers were better than superchargers before, now they're out of control.

Can someone drive to western Canada and take me for a trail ride??? Ahhh.. that's what I need most. To take a drive in each one.
    My name is Wes I am the President of Prodigy Performance LLC.

Our turbo systems are now better than ever. One test drive is all it will take for you to be blown away at the power our system delivers. It is usable off idle performance that has huge power on tap at ALL times. The turbo lag comments are crap, the turbo is responsive and ready to do serious work. Turbochargers are not new but they are the way of the future. Please let me know what questions you have even if it is related to the supercharger companies. We can get them to chime in and give feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.6L turbo.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	1648

Quote Originally Posted by boosted1 View Post
    It is usable off idle performance that has huge power on tap at ALL times. The turbo lag comments are crap, the turbo is responsive and ready to do serious work
    I think reality is somewhere in the middle. I often see exaggerated statements about how laggy turbos are and how they only make power at high rpms. I disagree with those comments, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that "huge power on tap at ALL times"... but keep in mind that I have a manual transmission and don't yet have a boost controller installed.

You only have to look at a dyno chart to see that the biggest gains from the turbo happen in the upper half of the rpm range, so of course I won't have "huge" power down at 2000 rpms when I put the pedal down to the floor with my manual transmission. There's no denying that. Even so, part throttle at lower rpms is very nice with more recent updates to the tune and the upgrade to the Precision turbo. Even under 2500 rpm, I regularly see 1-2 psi boost while catching up/keeping up with traffic using part throttle acceleration, and it feels great. But there's a certain point where you push the throttle just a bit more, and the turbo just can't keep up at the lower engine speeds, and boost stops increasing. The end result is that you reach max acceleration for low rpms before you get to full throttle, and the rest of the pedal travel does nothing but change the sound of the engine slightly. At part throttle, it feels powerful, but when you push the pedal for more, it isn't there. Admittedly, once you get to this point, you probably should have already downshifted anyway. If you try to drive a manual transmission turbo Jeep as if it had a big V8 engine, you will probably be disappointed. But if you adjust your driving style to take advantage of the strengths of the turbo (downshift to get rpms up whenever you want any serious acceleration), you rarely encounter its weaknesses .

But if you have an automatic transmission, huge power really would be just a deliberate press of the throttle away at any time. In the situation I described above, you would still get the perceived low rpm power because part throttle acceleration is great at low rpms, but the transmission will downshift when you ask for more instead of running into that point at low rpms where the turbo just can't flow any more air no matter how much more you push the pedal. Not only will the transmission automatically downshift as necessary, putting you into the upper rpm range where you get huge power, but you also have the benefit of the torque converter. If you're starting from a low speed where the transmission is already down in 1st gear at lower rpms, press the pedal, the torque converter will unlock, rpms will rise, the torque converter will multiply torque some, and you'll have higher exhaust flow spooling the turbo more quickly compared to the same situation with a manual transmission.

Then there's the recent addition of the boost controller to Prodigy's top-of-the-line setup. A wastegate by itself will actually start opening up well before the target boost is reached, slowing down how quickly the turbo finishes spooling up. A boost controller can keep the wastegate completely closed longer, allowing the turbo to spool up more quickly when you put your foot down.

Without a boost controller, my data logs show that (disclaimer: following numbers are approximated from memory) if I'm cruising around 4000 rpm (where the turbo is capable of reaching target boost), then quickly press the pedal to the floor, boost quickly jumps up to about 3/4 of target boost within about 1/2 second, but then takes another 1/4 second to reach full full boost. It's not as extreme as some people will imply, with comments about having to "wait for boost to kick in", etc, but it does make for a "soft" throttle response. It's just not an abrupt/violent sudden kick like a very powerful NA or supercharged engine would be. Adding a boost controller that holds the wastegate closed longer should make this type of situation feel more responsive.

I'd be very interested driving an automatic turbo Jeep to see how it compares in overall "feel", perceived power/responsiveness, etc. I bet the automatic overall feels more powerful/responsive. But a manual transmission is overall more fun to drive

My boost controller is arriving today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get it all installed and setup within the next week or two. With both an increase in peak boost, and an improvement in spooling, it's possible that lower RPM performance could be significantly improved to the point that I'll be closer to agreeing with Wes that big power is available at all times, even with the manual transmission.