Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Brutus

Project: Brutus

I've always enjoyed build threads, seeing where people take their vehicles and what they do to them. This is mine.

Currently Done:

Metalcloak Gamechanger 3.5" Lift ARB Edition
    Metalcloak Overline Fenders
    Metalcloak Inner Fenders
    Offroad Heroes Cargo Top
    Custom Tire Carrier
    Procomp Series 97 Steelies
    Toyo MT 35x12.5x17
    Superchips Traildash

Future:
    Forced Induction (RIPP or Prodigy.. researching this)
    Fully built (Truss, gusset, sleeve, RCV axles) Dana 44's or Dana 60's, 4.88 gearing.
    Winch
    37's
    Metalcloak front + rear bumpers
    Metalcloak Rock Rails

It's humble beginnings at a Honda dealership, traded in for who knows what.

Details:
    2012 JKU Sport
    38,000KM (I'm Canadian) on the clock
    Stock

First time finding mud and having the soft top on, I knew I needed different tires.

In hopes of finding bigger tires at some point, I chopped up my fenders for flats and made a stubby front bumper. I rocked this for a bit even just to differentiate myself from every other soccer mom out there.. looking back on it now, it looked atrocious with stock tires.

Shortly after I ended up finding 35" Toyo MT's for a killer price - all in I paid $1200 for 5 tires @ 90% and brand new Procomp steelies.

Last edited by HahaJK; 09-02-2015 at 01:48 PM.

At Christmas I found out my wife either REALLY loves me or just wanted me to stop spending so much time researching Jeep parts every night. I was obsessed with looking at lift kits, and was ready to work on the side to make up the necessary money needed. But she bought me the full lift that I had researched to death and dreamed of daily..

Full Metalcloak Gamechanger ARB Edition. I understand the 6-Pack shocks don't hold up AS well in our environment up in Canada due to the constant grit/salt/snow and changing climate. In addition I bought a driveshaft from Adams Driveshaft who I will undoubtedly deal with again, great company and phenomenal pricing.

Up on the lift..

All finished up

Parked beside a stock Jeep for comparison..

I lucked out HARD. Full Metalcloak Overline set with inner fenders for sale in my city. Rare to see this stuff go up for sale.. the catch? It was bedlined and looked terrible.

I found a product called "Aircraft Remover" - you brush it on, and you watch it bubble. Scrape it off after then sand down the bare steel. I put about 45-50 hours into cleaning these up.

But the results were worth it.

Last edited by HahaJK; 09-02-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Stripped down

Completed front

Rears in progress..

And finished up

First beauty shot in a while.

Around this time I also bought the Offroad Heroes Cargo Top and had a custom tire carrier built and powder coated. It's sturdy as they come and built for up to a 37" tire handling it with ease. Slightly hesitant to go to 40 as that's a lot of weight to lift up there in case of a flat.

Last edited by HahaJK; 09-02-2015 at 01:54 PM.

One of my first LEGIT off-roading adventures, this is near Drayton Valley in Alberta, Canada.

[IMG][https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...=565DD37F/IMG]

TORE Park

At an Off-road park near my place..

Last edited by HahaJK; 09-02-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Saved for future additions
    Last edited by HahaJK; 09-02-2015 at 02:05 PM.

I don't know what all the "saved for future additions" posts were, but....

WHOA that is a crazy pile of work.... The truck is beautiful with that mud paint job you put on it.

I love to see guys who pour their hearts in to their rigs....then wheel them hard.

Its a fine line, where you have put too much effort into a rig, then you start to worry about sliding it into a tree, and then all the work is for nothing. There is nothing that cannot be fixed or cleaned or replaced. You have to take jeeps to the limit. Thats why we spend the money.

did you paint the flares or powder coat?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    I don't know what all the "saved for future additions" posts were, but....

WHOA that is a crazy pile of work.... The truck is beautiful with that mud paint job you put on it.

I love to see guys who pour their hearts in to their rigs....then wheel them hard.

Its a fine line, where you have put too much effort into a rig, then you start to worry about sliding it into a tree, and then all the work is for nothing. There is nothing that cannot be fixed or cleaned or replaced. You have to take jeeps to the limit. Thats why we spend the money.
    Rather than having information on Pages 1,13,18 and 20 for people to sort through I like having it all in one spot - I'll edit the posts as I go with the future mods as I do them, just how I like to organize things

It's been a lot of elbow grease, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have put so many man hours into this thing to both save costs (Not to cut corners) but it's really helped me get to know her too.

And I agree. I have a hard time accepting the fact that some of the more adventurous trips will put some permanent scars on her, but as soon as I'm driving.. it's worth it. I just know that once I get home, I'll fix whatever happened to the best of my ability. She's not a pavement queen, but I don't abuse her like a corner girl either.

And those fenders are all powder coated. I was going to go with POR-15 for everything, as it's an easy touch up, but the finish was not good enough for me.

Subscribed.

What did you scrape the flares with? Ive tried to remove rhino liner before and gave up. that stuff is terrible.

I used the "Aircraft Remover" product, brushed it on with a regular paint brush and then used a metal paint scraper to remove it once it started bubbling. At times I found it would need to be layered on twice, but rarely any more than that. 15-20 minutes sitting there and you can literally watch it bubble up ready for removal.

Afterwards I used an orbital power polisher with 180 grit sand paper to remove the remaining little bits and that cleaned it up to the nice polished look.