Close

Anyone have any insight on the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's?

Believe it or not, most of the newer Up-Armored vehicles here in Afghanistan are wearing the new Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, some also have the non-Pro shoes. We just started seeing a swap of our NTV's (non-tactical vehicles) that we use to traverse the awesome roads here in Afghanistan! It's like what we would call beginner wheeling on most of the city/rural roads over here. They look pretty capable but I haven't seen any long term reviews of them online. I'm re-gearing to either 5.13s or 5.38s (3.8L/Auto) and thinking of getting a set of new 37s when I get back in May 2016. Hope someone can point me in the right direction or has personal knowledge on them...prices seem pretty standard and fair for that size.
    Thanks,
    LongbowDriver

What do these coopers cost ? In comparison to the BFG KO2?

The KO2 is an excellent tire. If the price is close I'd look at the KO2. Being the newest tire released, it's got the most technology behind it. Knocking the Duratrac out of the throne. I have limited knowledge of how the military picks gear. One way is whatever is best, other times its who can supply the demand at a low price. I think using the coopers may be the second.

If the cost is close to the KO2, go BFG.

I've never had the STT Pro, but I had the Discoverer AT3 prior to my BFG AT KO2. As a general statement, Cooper makes great tires and they're made in the States. The Coopers balanced well, were great on snow and mild offered, and were holding up great. And by the way, when I was in Ghazni, I couldn't get tires or anything else for our NTVs. Of course, we were supposed to be getting everything out, so getting stuff in (other than life support or mission critical supplies) wasn't a huge priority. Stay safe over there and hurry home.

Quote Originally Posted by rgeorge33 View Post
    I've never had the STT Pro, but I had the Discoverer AT3 prior to my BFG AT KO2. As a general statement, Cooper makes great tires and they're made in the States. The Coopers balanced well, were great on snow and mild offered, and were holding up great. And by the way, when I was in Ghazni, I couldn't get tires or anything else for our NTVs. Of course, we were supposed to be getting everything out, so getting stuff in (other than life support or mission critical supplies) wasn't a huge priority. Stay safe over there and hurry home.
    Sooooooooo,? You have some experience with both..... Cooper? or BFG?

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPmeOVER View Post
    Sooooooooo,? You have some experience with both..... Cooper? or BFG?
    I don't have experience with the STT Pro. I do have experience with KO2 and a different Cooper tire (Discoverer AT3). I can't do a fair comparison, because the Cooper AT3 that I had is such a different tire from the STT Pro. All I can say is that Cooper makes great tires. The KO2s are decent tires, but it took quite a bit of weight to balance them and I still don't think they're perfect. They also don't seem to do as well on standing water during hard rains as my Cooper AT3s did. I don't know if that's because of the tire compounds, tread design, or what. Sooooo... I really don't have much worth while to say except overall I think Cooper makes better tires than BFG. Just one guy's opinion.

Thanks for the inputs! I'll have to check the price comparison with the KO2s and get back to you. Be glad you aren't over here now. Now that I'm a contractor advising the Afghan Air Force (used to be an Army Longbow pilot) only having the pea shooter on my hip is not reassuring! I also need to double check on the weight of each as well. Thanks again and if you haven't seen the STT Pros check them out. I need to do research the KO2s. LongbowDriver

Coopers are slightly cheaper and weigh the same as the BFGs from the sites I was able to check. Good size selection available in both tires. LBD

Id go BFG over cooper. Just because the KO2 is new and looks agressive even though its an all terrain.