• RIPP

2 20.00%
  • SPRINTEX

4 40.00%
  • MAGNUSSON

3 30.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doc5339 View Post
    My poll on JK-Forum now has Edelbrock almost neck-and-neck with RIPP. This is not very scientific, but it does give me an idea what Jeepers seem to like.
    That's interesting because I've never seen an Edelbrock E-Force on a JK. I wonder why it's getting votes? Is there an installed base of E-Force units out there? I'd love to see a real world example. I installed a MAG unit myself (and uninstalled it along with the v-6). That said, I read the installation instructions for the E-Force unit and can say that if it goes in per the instructions and the heat exchanger and bracketry are as shown in their literature that it's much improved over the MAG unit. It's like Edelbrock saw what MAG did and leveraged the R&D to come out with a second generation Eaton TVS1320 based supercharger. That's just my opinion.

In the end I believe results rest more with calibration than hardware. All the best parts can be rendered useless if you can't "tune" the engine to use them.

id like to see edelbrock go head to head with ripp. Are we going to see an edelbrock install?

Quote Originally Posted by gbaumann View Post
    That's interesting because I've never seen an Edelbrock E-Force on a JK. I wonder why it's getting votes? Is there an installed base of E-Force units out there? I'd love to see a real world example. I installed a MAG unit myself (and uninstalled it along with the v-6). That said, I read the installation instructions for the E-Force unit and can say that if it goes in per the instructions and the heat exchanger and bracketry are as shown in their literature that it's much improved over the MAG unit. It's like Edelbrock saw what MAG did and leveraged the R&D to come out with a second generation Eaton TVS1320 based supercharger. That's just my opinion.

In the end I believe results rest more with calibration than hardware. All the best parts can be rendered useless if you can't "tune" the engine to use them.
    Honestly, I am not finding anyone driving around with an Edelbrock E-Force? That said, 40% of votes were for Edelbrock, 50% for RIPP, and I believe 10% for Magnuson last time I looked over on JK-Forum.com. Most people were probably voting on what they "would" have more than what they have.

Hoop skier on that same forum is the only person that I have found who actually purchased on (he also voted), and his is still installing the E-Force as far as I know.

Keep in mind that most people that voice an opinion on superchargers/turbos on forums have zero experience with any of the options. Most of those that do have any experience with any of the options only have experience with one of the options. So the poll results do not accurately reflect what people would prefer if they were given the opportunity to actually compare the options. The poll results more accurately reflect what people predict would be their preference based on their own assumptions, which are often based on reading other forum posts about other people's assumptions - from other people that have zero experience with any of the options.

My thoughts...

Especially considering that yours is 99% daily driver, there's no point in trying to split hairs on which is more reliable, which will suffer from heat soak more, which one will produce more under-hood heat, which one would be easier to bypass and limp home if it were to fail (a ridiculous attribute to seriously impact your decision, IMO), etc. These are all things where one will technically/theoretically be "better" than others, but the amount of difference between them is unlikely to be noticeable.

If fuel economy is a priority, then I think you are doing this for the wrong reasons. This is also a topic that will be nearly impossible to get any useful data about. Fuel economy depends so much on driving style/habits. The difference in power/driveability from adding forced induction may cause you to change your driving style/habits in a way that impacts fuel economy more than the forced induction itself did. Any reports you see of fuel economy are no more than anecdotal evidence, and you don't know what other factors were involved. No one has done any controlled tests to compare fuel economy between stock and any of the supercharger kits.

I think the first step is to figure out what style of power delivery you would prefer. This is more critical with the manual transmission because it requires thought and effort to shift gears. Would you prefer to be able to drive more lazily with less downshifting and get the feeling of big power while driving "normally" in the lower rpms, or would you prefer to have more power actually available for accelerating onto freeways and passing at the expense of requiring more downshifting to tap into that power? RIPP will generally be more powerful and able to accelerate more quickly if you get into the higher RPMs, but the other superchargers may "feel" more powerful than RIPP when driving around more normally at lower RPMs.

Or maybe you just have a certain subjective fascination with a certain style of supercharger based on looks and sound? If you just really like the idea of the "traditional" notion of a supercharger mounted on top of the engine, then that rules out the RIPP. Sometimes choosing what you subjectively like better and makes you happy can be more important that choosing what would objectively.

The easiest comparison to make in power delivery is RIPP vs Magnuson, because JeepLab has put both on the same dyno. You can reasonably assume that the Edelbrock will be similar to the Magnuson, since it uses the same supercharger unit at its core. But no one has produced any dyno results for the Sprintex that can be compared. I've only seen Sprintex's own dyno chart, and their stock torque curve doesn't look like the stock torque curve from any other dyno results. There must be some difference in the dynos used.

x2 on pickles "people don't actually have the power mods" point.

so often, people are just regurgitating what they've read from others who also may not have actually owned the mods. Thats what drew me to this site. (JL) this was the only place people were talking about the mods head to head with actual driving experience.

Get sprintex and edelbrock JL!

Vote for your supercharger of choice

Thank Pickles! I think what got me on the forced induction kick was: a. Wanting more usable power and b. Watching the "War Wagon" in Mad Max Fury Road with its two in-line supercharged engines.

I agree totally with your assessment of my polls and their unscientific/subjective results.

I definitely do not want a supercharger for better fuel economy, though I do want a supercharger that has lower parasitic losses to the crankshaft.

I am pretty close now, and am considering two used superchargers that may be available from forum members here. I was hoping to hear back about that one Edelbrock install and testing before "pulling the trigger."

I like the look of the traditional Roots and Lysholm blowers, but probably the sound of the centrifugal better (coming from turbo diesels).

I like the idea of down-shifting, as well as less heat soak with the RIPP. Not having immediate power on tap is my only issue other than major stuff like trimming/grinding and higher possibility of water intrusion.

The torture I have been putting 4 Jeep forums through will soon be over. I greatly appreciate all of the advice, first-hand perspectives, and empiricism offered by you and JeepLab members.
    2013 JKUR
    Magnuson Supercharger (66mm Pulley) with Catch Can
    Innovate Wide Band O2 Sensor
    Diablotoona Custom Tune
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6-Speed MT with B&M Precision Sport Shifter
    4.10 Rear Diff
    Line-X of Interior and Rock Hard 4x4 Sport Cage
    JW Speaker Headlights, Fog Lights, and Tail Lights
    BFG All-Terrain T/A KO LT265 70 17 (actual height: 30.75")

Do you have a manual trans? If so, dont be concerned about low end with ripp's SC. You will have gobs of low end.

Probably the same with the auto, I just havent owned the auto to speak on it.

Vote for your supercharger of choice

I do have a manual trans, RIPP is making sense.
    2013 JKUR
    Magnuson Supercharger (66mm Pulley) with Catch Can
    Innovate Wide Band O2 Sensor
    Diablotoona Custom Tune
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6-Speed MT with B&M Precision Sport Shifter
    4.10 Rear Diff
    Line-X of Interior and Rock Hard 4x4 Sport Cage
    JW Speaker Headlights, Fog Lights, and Tail Lights
    BFG All-Terrain T/A KO LT265 70 17 (actual height: 30.75")

Soooooooo close now! Between the RIPP and Sprintex. If I go the Sprintex route, I will post as much data as possible.

Amazing that sprintex would be able to come up with as much support as ripp. no one has them, and the one guy that did, took it off. LOL. Thats not a good review.