• RIPP

2 20.00%
  • SPRINTEX

4 40.00%
  • MAGNUSSON

3 30.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Vote for your supercharger of choice

I am looking hard at the Edelbrock E-Force, Sprintex, and RIPP. I like the Roots/Screw Type for the on-tap power (at least theoretically). I am hoping you guys can guide me in the right direction for the best overall balance of usable power throughout the rev range, reliability/durability, and fuel efficiency.

I have a mostly stock (intend to stay that way) 2013 JKU Rubicon Manual Trans, 4.10 Rear, 31.6" tall tires (may go to 33" some day, but no larger), 99% daily driver. Would do a Bruiser Cummins ISF or Motech 5.3 Vortec if I could afford it.
    Last edited by doc5339; 09-26-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by doc5339 View Post
    I am looking hard at the Edelbrock E-Force, Sprintex, and RIPP. I like the Roots/Screw Type for the on-tap power (at least theoretically). I am hoping you guys can guide me in the right direction for the best overall balance of usable power throughout the rev range, reliability/durability, and fuel efficiency.

I have a mostly stock (intend to stay that way) 2013 JKU Rubicon Manual Trans, 4.10 Rear, 31.6" tall tires (may go to 33" some day, but no larger), 99% daily driver. Would do a Bruiser Cummins ISF or Motech 5.3 Vortec if I could afford it.
    Whats your reason for supercharging, but staying stock otherwise? They have decent power on tap already for those who intent to daily drive it.

The fact that you have a manual trans makes things much easier. I didn't like the behavior of the auto and the lift to shift issues. I think you'll have good luck with any of them. However, the Sprintex made great power and ran smoothly. If you are interested in sprintex, let me know. I'm going to sell of the one I pulled from my '14 when I went with the MoTech LS3. Good luck whichever you choose.

Why... Because

I simply like the torque/power; improved power-to-weight ratio. I like power and performance the way most jeepers like big wheels, lift kits, and heavy bumpers.

I understand that my JKUR is a brick, not a sports car. "Decent power on tap" is a subjective statement. The 3.6 Pentastar is not quite "decent" from my perspective.

Q: How much power do you have?
    A: More than I'll ever need, but not nearly enough.

I want to do this for the same reason I had a 1976 FJ40 with 350ci Small Block Chevy V-8; it's a helluva lot more fun to drive.
    Last edited by doc5339; 09-27-2015 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo
    2013 JKUR
    Magnuson Supercharger (66mm Pulley) with Catch Can
    Innovate Wide Band O2 Sensor
    Diablotoona Custom Tune
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6-Speed MT with B&M Precision Sport Shifter
    4.10 Rear Diff
    Line-X of Interior and Rock Hard 4x4 Sport Cage
    JW Speaker Headlights, Fog Lights, and Tail Lights
    BFG All-Terrain T/A KO LT265 70 17 (actual height: 30.75")

Quote Originally Posted by rgeorge33 View Post
    The fact that you have a manual trans makes things much easier. I didn't like the behavior of the auto and the lift to shift issues. I think you'll have good luck with any of them. However, the Sprintex made great power and ran smoothly. If you are interested in sprintex, let me know. I'm going to sell of the one I pulled from my '14 when I went with the MoTech LS3. Good luck whichever you choose.
    Thanks, that is good to hear regarding the Sprintex + Manual Trans. I sent you a PM about the Sprintex.

Only 3 jeepers with superchargers? I posted another poll over on JK-Forum, and RIPP is killing it.

Here is what I have observed (keep in my mind that i have a manual transmission, therefore I ignore auto trans woes) by reading through threads, Internet searches, and YouTube:

Magnuson (Roots-type) uses Eaton 1320 TVS Rotors, does not allow for direct access to the oil filter, and it has an electric pump (water may damage it) down low near the axle. Well-documented install and proven results on the JK and other makes/models. Being a Roots-type, the Magnuson is still susceptible to heat soak.

Sprintex (Lysholm "Screw"-type) uses S5-335 Screw Compressor, also requires the air tube be removed to access the oil filter, however, on a positive note, it uses nylon rather than metal between the engine and the actual supercharger, which supposedly mitigates heat-soak. Sprintex has a 30 year history building superchargers for many makes/models, and I won't hold the fact their Australian against them.

RIPP (Centrifugal) requires trimming off the sides of the grill and grinding of the manifold, and seems more pervious to water intrusion. The RIPP should not have the potential heat soak issues of the Roots-type SCs. Being a centrifugal (Vortech) supercharger, its power delivery is exponential and therefore not immediate. Dyno numbers are great as are many owner reviews, however, I lean toward the instant and constant power delivery of the Roots-type blowers.

Edelbrock E-Force (Roots-type) uses Eaton 1320 Rotors appears to eliminate the oil filter access issue that the Magnuson and Sprintex have, though it is probably still susceptible to heat-soak. I am probably just being partial to it because it looks good installed and says "Made in U.S.A." on it. I am still waiting to hear about installation results from the other forum. It is about 8-10 actual hours of installation according to the guy installing it who has been doing 2-3 hours at a time.
    Last edited by doc5339; 09-28-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: new information/revision typo
    2013 JKUR
    Diablotoona Custom Tune
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    4.10 Rear Diff

your getting love for the RIPP unit on the other forums because there are more RIPPs on the road than anything else.

That SC was the first out, and had a good rep from the 3.8. Also, the RIPP guys are at EVERY event.

Makes big power, little if any heat soak. The cutting required is not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    your getting love for the RIPP unit on the other forums because there are more RIPPs on the road than anything else.

That SC was the first out, and had a good rep from the 3.8. Also, the RIPP guys are at EVERY event.

Makes big power, little if any heat soak. The cutting required is not a big deal.
    Kinda figured that about RIPP, and I still am considering it. I was just hoping for some more arguments and controversy.

I have been studying the Sprintex, which I believe is the only Twin-Screw of for the JK. I like that they make an effort to isolate heat soak by using glass-impregnated nylon as a sort of a thermal-break, as well as the fact that it a compressor, not just a pump.
    Last edited by doc5339; 09-28-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo

My poll on JK-Forum now has Edelbrock almost neck-and-neck with RIPP. This is not very scientific, but it does give me an idea what Jeepers seem to like.

I
    2013 JKUR
    Diablotoona Custom Tune
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    4.10 Rear Diff