Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Magnuson Supercharger Pentastar Testing Dyno Review

Im probably going to prison for breaking and entering at Magnuson(LOL), but in the meantime lets pound on it a little and see how she responds.

Here's the plan. We are going to install it on a stock 13 Rubicon. We will dyno before and after with stock 4.10 gearing and stock 32" tires. This is the most accurate way for us to figure the true power gain.

Then we will do the 0-60 with stock components, play with it off road... the works. Pics and video during install and testing coming.

I cannot wait to get this thing installed. The sound alone will be worth it. Im expecting a shriek sound out of the eaton style screws.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magnuson Supercharger Jeep JK.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	111

This SC is the same style as the one chosen for the corvette zr1. And you know that corvette R&D team knows what they are doing, and has an unlimited budget.

So im intrigued about how the screw style will work in our application. We do LOVE the RIPP unit. The power gain is out of this world. So is the power delivery. The Pentastar motor's vvt suggests that it wants to build power higher in the rpm curve wich is the RIPP unit's forte. (betty is a ROCKET)

This is a different route to the same goal. Completely unknown to us, so we have no idea what to expect.

Besides, being impartial, The goal is to install and test. If Car and Driver only tested bmw's it would be pretty boring to read.

Here's a shot of our test truck "Sweet Pea"

You can see her here with Black Betty our Ripp truck, and in the back is Tonka our Dozer JK on 40s

Name:	Sweet Pea Magnuson.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	112

Unboxed!

Here's a shot of the SuperCharger,

Its packed like you wouldn't believe. the foam around it is like the kind thats sprayed in, and expands. Its really shipped locked into place. I think I could throw it off the roof and not be concerned.

The parts feel robust. I guess they have to be.... We are going to try do dyno the stock truck this saturday. Then hopefully get the SC in next week.

It comes with the Trinity T1000.

Name:	Magnuson Supercharger Jeep Pentastar.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	113

Here we go....Dyno.

Name:	sweet pea dyno 1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	114

Here is the STOCK dyno chart for Sweet Pea

Name:	stock jeep pentastar dyno rpm 2 resized.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	116

Here we go.....! GET TO IT ALREADY!

Stats on our Magnuson Test Truck

2013 JKUR
    6 spd
    4.10 gears
    stock km2 tires (32")

We are going to operate the install ourselves. There is no shop we are dropping her off and picking her up at.

I want to be able to tell you guys if you can tackle it yourselves or not.

If we hit a wall, I'll tell you.

If there is stuff we screw up that you need to watch out for, I'll tell you.

This is the first time we will take an engine apart, but the instructions are pretty straight forward..... what could go wrong?

Here We Go!

Name:	JeepLab Magnuson 1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	172