Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Magnsuon Sound Byte

Here it is...

the pentastar with an aftermarket intake and NO supercharger sounds mean. I'll see about getting one installed

THIS VIDEO IS SOUND OF AN INTAKE NO SUPERCHARGER> JUST MAKING A POINT.

Driveability is spot on. You wouldn't know the truck was supercharged if you didn't know jeeps and got behind the wheel. You would just think it was powerful. The power dosent come on all at once, like a lot of aftermarket power mods. You would just think jeeps were fast. The power is steady across the rpm band.

stop and go traffic? no different than any pentastar, but the gas pedal feels lighter and the power plant is always more "ready" with power if you brush against the gas pedal.

Remember this is a stock Rubi outside of the SC so we aren't making it turn huge tires, or steel bumpers or any of that stuff. Sweet pea will get built up this year but for right now we were looking for the max power without weighing her down.

One issue is some power surging at cruising speeds on the highway, Im sure it will get sorted in the next tune.

Hemi still worth the money?

Either supercharger will smoke a hemi. My position is that there is NO point in tearing your engine out for a hemi. If you followed my threads, there was a thread that I opened about a year about challenging anyone with a hemi to line up with Black Betty. I watched the thread and cultivated it for months.

There were no takers, And im not in kansas somewhere, I can see NYC out my window. The most money in the country is in this area, so there are hemi's here. Did anyone want to tangle with Betty? NOPE.

I made the offer publicly. And would have taped the race had I been able to get an opponent. Couldnt have put my money on the table more.

As far as RIPP vs. Magnuson directly, The head to head is coming.

I wanted to give the Magnuson info out to catch up with the work we did with RIPP's unit last year.

Once the same tests are done, we will line them up and test head to head.

First Dyno

Here's how it went.

My dyno is first. We had some issues with the air in the shop, the guy was running it without a fan. Pete, one of my guys, and the owner of the truck had to turn the fan on in the place.

Here are my numbers and Magnuson's.

They are on two different dyno machines, in different locations, and Im feeling like I might want to get another shot at the dyno with sweet pea.

Sweet Pea's First dyno

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magnuson Dyno 1st.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	210

Here is Magnuson's own chart.

Name:	Magnuson dyno chart from magnuson.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	211

Magnuson Pentastar Dyno with "Engine Speed"

Name:	Magnuson Dyno 1st RPM.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	212

Here is the dyno chart with the original dyno on the same page.

Here's what you have to understand. In 4th gear, when we started, the truck had a speed limiter that we hit around 5500 rpm. Thats why the band is shorter.

In 3rd gear we got around 220 hp. keeping away from the speed limiter.

4th gear is more the 1 to 1 with the stock tires, and without the limiter you can see the results. I only mention it, because I think the pentastar makes about 225 "uncorrected" which makes sense and agrees with black betty's stock dyno last year.

So this is the chart of both 4th gear pulls, but the lower one is short because of the speed limiter in the JK that was removed with the magnuson tune. (thus we don't hit it after)

Even tho we didn't get the same numbers magnuson got, that torque curve is pretty sexy.

Stock vs. Supercharged Dyno Chart

Name:	Magnuson Dyno Stock Dyno Laid over.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	213

There was a fan on when this pull happened. The guy doing the dyno didn't start working with the fan on. The point i was trying to make was maybe this wasn't the most professional set up. But in NJ its hard to find a dyno, we drove 50 min to get to this one.

That 4th gear dyno is cut short by the speed limiter. I think the pentastar makes about 220 whp. UNCORRECTED. I think you can expect more like 65 whp increase from stock with my numbers.

The magunson dyno shows a better power gain.

Is it because my numbers are the 4th pull of the day? Poor ventilation?

I don't know. but for reference I wanted to give you guys what I got.

I think another dyno will tell the tale. Im going to get there early and keep it cold, then make it sing.

Better air flow and a cold SC is the way to get the best numbers, but that takes the real world testing and puts it in a test tube which is not my intention.

Betty's dyno won't happen for at least 10 days, as i have to wait for Super Bowl sunday to pass, its a mad house in this area right now.

I sent magnuson my air flow files and they told me that the flow is off or the unit reading the flow is off. So I'm going to let them look it over and if they send a new tune between now and the next dyno i may have new info.

If the new numbers are significantly different we will know its the shop i used, as the weak link in the chain.

Sweet pea's gettin new oil before dyno

Name:	Magnuson oil filter.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	214

This is the magnuson oil filter, its 2 pieces because with the blower on the engine, you cannot get a standard oil filter in and out.