Close

Lift On-Road Handling

Got this email, turning it into a thread. go go go!

Read your write up on the 1.5" RK. I have a 2015 JKUR and I like the concept of a small lift where I can run 35s with flat fenders. I will be driving this approximately 600 miles to Ouray, CO. How does the RK perform on road?

How does the RK compare to the Metal Cloak 2.5.

Thanks.

Mike

Here's my answer -

If you want 35s, you will need to lift. If you want to keep it super low, the RK 1.5 is great. However, its not much lift.

I would suggest a 2.5 for your purposes. I had the RK 2.5 X Factor for a year and loved it. Peter Carolina, my brother and the owner of Sweet Pea, always says, BB was at her best, with the 2.5 and duratracs. (eventually changed to coilovers and 3-link suspension and 37s)

We drove that configuration cross country. 29 hours to Colorado non stop. It was incredibly street worthy. Add that BB was supercharged with 320 whp, you can imagine we were speeding the entire way. The suspension was unflappable at high speed.

I dont know enough about the metal cloak to give a real long term opinion. others here have it tho.

I have been really happy with my 2.5" MC with flat fenders and 37's. Its great in all situations.

I can't speak for the MC lift but I can speak for RK.

My first full coil lift was the RK 2.5 Stock Mod with Fox 2.0 Performance Series shocks. The on road performance and handling was top notch. The ride tightened up over factory. Seemed like it had less body roll. After a year of driving it like this, it still rides great.

I've since upgraded to the full 3.5 X Factor for a little more belly clearance. I would recommend any of the RK 2.5 lifts to anyone. Pair it with Fox or Bilsteins and you've got a solid platform to conquer just about anything whether it's highways or off-road trails.

You can run 35's with 1.5 or even a leveling kit but you will still be limited on your flex. Need to make sure you have the proper bumpstops. There could also be an issue with rubbing up into the front stock bumper.

If you are set on that lower lift then I would recommend a set of small 35's like the Duratracs. They start out right around 34.6 and not a full 35 to give you that extra room just to be safe. I run my Duratracs right around 32 psi for even wear and nice smooth ride. Make sure you do a chalk test to determine the proper pressure for your individual tire and the weight of your jeep. A friend of mine has a Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with the TF 9550 shocks and 35" Maxxis Bighorns. When his tires came in, he just slapped them on and took off. He complained about a shimmy around 45-50 mph. I asked him if he chalked his tires and once we did, the jeep rides great now. They shipped with the max of 60 psi+. He thought nothing of it and just went with it.