Close

Blog Entries

Pentastar oil filter/cooler crack

Just a heads up to those of you that change your own oil in the Pentastar. Do not OVERTIGHTEN the oil filter cover. The whole magilicuttty is made of composite (plastic) and the neck cracks at the bottom where you can't see it. By the way this is also attached, all one unit, to the oil cooler. I developed a leak and couldn't find it till I ripped everything apart. I'm very meticulous and ended up with oil all underneath the jeep. The whole 2 part intake has to come off along with the injectors and rails. Not the worst thing but definetly one that I shouldn't have had happen. I'm an overtightener which bit me on the ---. Snug tightening is good. It has the Oring no need to crank it. I own 3 vehicles with this motor. This is the 2nd one I replaced because I'm an idiot. One in the Cherokee and one in the Rubi. I guess I'll chalk this one up to underhood experience. And by the way, the part alone is over $300 and that's doing it yourself. I hope this helps somebody out.

I had an oil leak i couldnt find for a YEAR. It was on the LCAs, back in the middle of the jeep on the frame. Made me crazy. Ended up selling.

Maybe it was this^^