Close

Custom Extended Spare Tire Bumpers for Aftermarket Tire/Wheel Combos

Upgrading to different wheels/tires that have less wheel offset than stock gives you this problem:

click for full size

click for full size

Those bumpers are important. They are supposed to apply pressure to the spare tire to absorb/dampen vibrations, reducing stress on the tire carrier and tailgate. One option is the Daystar Tailgate Bumpstops, but I've heard unpleasant things about them (lightweight rubber foam, sometimes damaged while trying to install).

I decided to go DIY with...

click for full size

Radiator hose! I found some radiator hose that fit tightly over the stock bumper (the stock bumper pulls right out so you can take it into the auto parts store), and has some usable straight sections. I found this particular hose at Pep Boys for under $12.

At the furthest point, the gap between the tailgate and the new tire is about 4 inches (in the vicinity of the stock bumper). I cut two 4 inch straight sections out of the radiator hose. I wrapped/taped a strip of paper around the hose to serve as a guide to keep my cut somewhat straight, and used a utility knife to make the cut.

click for full size

The cuts were not perfectly straight, but close enough. Then I simply pressed the custom bumpers over the stock bumpers:

click for full size

click for full size

click for full size

End result:

click for full size

click for full size

The part of the tire that is closer to the tailgate firmly compresses the radiator hose, creating a similar effect as the stock bumpers. I think it actually looks better than the more expensive Daystar bumpers too.
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 03-18-2016 at 10:58 PM.

this is brilliant. I did the daystar spacers and they were JUNK.

Nice move Pickles!

Hey Pickles.

I can't tell from your pics for sure, but it looks like you might be running the stock tire carrier?

For what it's worth, I have a 44 offset (pretty big offset) and I'm using a TeraFlex HD tire carrier on the door and my tire is pushed as close as any tire you've ever seen because the mount provides horizontal adjustments in/out. I literally have to open up my gate to full extension to even lift the glass because my tire is so close to rear gate that it hits the glass if you try to open it and the gate isn't FULLY open.

I'd really urge you to upgrade to one of the HD carriers (either TeraFlex, Rugged Ridge, etc.) as I'd be concerned you'll rip your mounts right out of the door or crack the mount with the setup you have. Even though you extended the bump stops considerably to make sure they touch the tire, your tire is hanging out so far that it is creating a ton of added pressure on those mounts any time you go over bumps. I wouldn't be surprised if your tire is actually exerting more vertical force on the mount with that setup than my 37" tires are exerting on my mount. You, being the wonderful geek that you are, probably know the formula by heart for force exerted by an object as it is moved further from the fulcrum. Judging by your pictures and what you said of the distance, and in viewing my own Jeep, I'd say you are cantilevered out at least 4.5" further than me. (When I tighten down my lug nuts it actually squishes my rubber bumper at LEAST 1/2"+). Depending on how many bumps you go over or the amount of off-roading you do, I'd give your mounts for the tire carrier about a year before you start to see cracks on the inside of the rear gate where the mounts are located or cracks in the mount itself.

The one other nice thing about the HD carriers is they usually have vertical adjustment as well. In addition to my tire being pushed as close as possible to the gate, I also have it mounted about as low as a 37" tire can be with the stock bumper. Jeeps that mount the tire high look really cool, and it helps keep your tire from hitting the ground if you hit an obstacle at high angles of attack, BUT... you can't see crap out the back window. My tire sits just a hair higher than stock tire height so I still get to use my rear view mirror.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth. I'd just hate to see your mounts fail because the tire is kicked out so much further than stock.

[Including some pics to show the concern]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012_jeep_wrangler_det_lt_4171301_600.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	1702

Name:	ArronsWedding033.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	1701

Teraflex, in addition to having horizontal and vertical adjustment to keep the tire as close as possible, transfers as much of the weight as possible to the support column at the corner of the Jeep and off the rear gate itself. It also has mounting points for a jack or other peripherals. I do realize the entire HD mount is pricey, but it was worth it to me so I didn't break anything and it didn't require that I change my rear bumper (or limit my rear bumper options.)

Name:	TF-4838150-A.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	1703
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Yup. Stock carrier. My tire/wheel combo is lighter than stock Sahara and Rubicon tire/wheel combos, so I'm not too concerned (even considering the extra leverage from the weight being 2.2 inches further out from the tailgate).

I guess I'm just willing to take the chance, because I'd much rather have $500-700 toward re-gearing and TrueTracs. My Jeep is primarily a daily driver, and I try to avoid bouncing around too much when off road for comfort reasons (kids in the back seat, wife with back problems).

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    I guess I'm just willing to take the chance, because I'd much rather have $500-700 toward re-gearing and TrueTracs.
    I hear ya there. There is only so much money and you have to pick and chose where to spend it. Sadly any new tire carrier solution is expensive, be it to replace the OEM or one that mounts on the bumper so I can appreciate why someone would hold off on it. I guess we should just be appreciative that Chrysler made a tire mount improvement over the previous versions to begin with that can handle a slightly larger tire.

Keep up your great posts! Always love reading about your upgrades!
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.