Close

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Just reread your post on your trans problem.. I could not live with that overdrive problem either. Still nothing from them I guess otherwise you would have posted it. Sorry your having so much grief with your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Just reread your post on your trans problem.. I could not live with that overdrive problem either. Still nothing from them I guess otherwise you would have posted it. Sorry your having so much grief with your system.
    Thanks. It is frustrating for sure. I got a new tune last week or the week prior from Magnuson. The days are running together, so I don't remember which week it was.

The engine seems to be smoothed out more than the previous tune, but the transmission overdrive problem still exists. I think the transmission is learning my driving habits with the supercharger and has calmed down slightly with normal shifts, but it still likes to hold the gears up into the 4-4.5k range if I'm a little heavy on the throttle.

I don't know if it will help, but I've contacted a tuner in the local area. He is looking at my factory tune and the Magnuson tune that I have. I may be able to get on the dyno and get a custom tune later next week depending on his schedule. It is going to cost me $450, but I'm willing to take the chance. Even if my transmission shifts don't change after the custom tune, at least the tune will be for my heavy ass jeep running 40" tires, steel skid plates/bumpers, and heavy aftermarket full width axles. I might get lucky and get a little extra power/torque out of it and it might be enough to cause the transmission to stay in overdrive. I'll also know how much power my jeep produces with the supercharger on it instead of estimating based upon what others have seen.

Ive had a custom tune done on my jk with the ripp kit. A company can only make tunes based on whats on the dyno. When my tuner tuned my jk ripps tune made 250 whp after 5 dyno pulls i put down 344 while getting air fuels and timing dialed into my trucks accesories like 35s stock gears 6 speed elevation

**** MODERATED ****

Hey everyone, if you've been following the forum, you'd know member FerrariFast totalled his rig earlier this year. He posted his new rig here. The build is extensive, and would have completely derailed the supercharger shootout thread so I moved it to its own thread.

http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?21...!-Build-Thread

carry on.

I called Ripp yesterday and they are still in testing with California for an EO# but they are going ahead with it. I do believe I am going to do some sort of power adder. But I live here in CA and it has to pass first before I plunk down the bucks. this whole tune thing with our autos just has me wondering if a engine swap is a better way to fly. Yeah much much more expensive. 23k but you end up with 335 hp and torque with a 6 speed auto. Heck I like my little V6 I just hate the trans ecu.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I called Ripp yesterday and they are still in testing with California for an EO# but they are going ahead with it. I do believe I am going to do some sort of power adder. But I live here in CA and it has to pass first before I plunk down the bucks. this whole tune thing with our autos just has me wondering if a engine swap is a better way to fly. Yeah much much more expensive. 23k but you end up with 335 hp and torque with a 6 speed auto. Heck I like my little V6 I just hate the trans ecu.
    Gunner's next jeep is a STICK. LOL

Did ripp say anything about the shift thing?

Nope just that it was being adjusted as ca asked for some changes. It's gonna be a next year thing. If I thought it would work I would put a stick in it and be done. Then I could do my atlas 4 also. But no it won't work with the auto either.

Has anybody seen or felt there truck running more boost in this weather? My boost gauge hit 9 psi today and usually only hits 8. I know that when the air is colder is more dense but i dont want to risk engine damage with 9 psi

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    Has anybody seen or felt there truck running more boost in this weather? My boost gauge hit 9 psi today and usually only hits 8. I know that when the air is colder is more dense but i dont want to risk engine damage with 9 psi
    Pretty sure you are fine.

Every engine loves cold air. People run the pentastar up to 12 psi.

The Magnuson unit is actually called a Hybrid Roots lobe or Twin Vortices Series design. It is a combination between the traditional Roots system (designed in the 1860's) and the more modern Lysholm Helical Screw System (designed in the late 19th early 20th centuries)-- both are positive displacement designs and the real difference is that Roots units actually doesn't increase the pressure inside the unit. That has to be done with in the cylinder head. Where as a twin rotary screw unit does compress the air within it. Also the Twin Rotary Screw systems show less parasitic drag because they are more efficient and usually require less power to operate when compared to a roots unit.

The Ripp is a simple Centrifugal System-- basically they became popular in the 1930's when supercharging aircraft engines. They basically are just turbo-superchargers that replace the rear impeller with a drive shaft and gearing unit that directly drives from the engine. These are probably the best unit to use for two reasons: One they require little horsepower to really operate because of their small size and high speed operation. They are also are the most flexible-- you can get them with a hi-low range or even a combination of hi-low and 2-stage units if you are so inclined to do so. Those are features that you cannot get on roots or twin screw unit.

However, if you're going to spend the money-- I say use sequential turbo-superchargers... With a properly mated system you can eliminate turbo lag and produce massive horsepower with very little back pressure on the engine. It is about as free as one can get.

But no matter the system-- water methanol injection would really improve the performance overall with any fuel source.