Close

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Ripp or Maggie

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    WELCOME!

Im sure JL will weigh in, but in these cases, where we are talking towing i think you want the most low end you can get. The Magnuson may be worth its price here. BUT.... have they figured out their tune?

Manual trans or auto?
    Automatic transmission

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifast View Post
    Automatic transmission
    Someone here said that the RIPP SC struggled to shift with the auto. I dont know if mag has the same problem. All the JL trucks are manual trans.

Anyone here have a automatic magnuson who can tell us if you have to "Lift to shift"?

Lift to shift will annoy you. Maybe ripp has worked it out by now, I'd confirm and go with wichever promised that you do not have to "Lift To Shift"

2000 for gauges is way to much i bought an aem wide band and boost built in 1 gauge omes with everything you need to install it. Mine cost 330 from pepboys definitely worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    Someone here said that the RIPP SC struggled to shift with the auto. I dont know if mag has the same problem. All the JL trucks are manual trans.

Anyone here have a automatic magnuson who can tell us if you have to "Lift to shift"?

Lift to shift will annoy you. Maybe ripp has worked it out by now, I'd confirm and go with wichever promised that you do not have to "Lift To Shift"
    Yes, I agree. Lift to shift would annoy me... Does anyone have any experience with a Magnuson and auto tranny?

How hard was it to install yourself? THX

How hard was it to install yourself? THX
    The mag is an easy install. We did it on one day.

The lift to shift comment earlier is a good one. Id contact both companies RIPP and Mag and see if they can swear you wont have the lift to shift problem. If they tell you it will be a non issue, then you can decide. If one says no prob, and the other wont, there's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    The mag is an easy install. We did it on one day.

The lift to shift comment earlier is a good one. Id contact both companies RIPP and Mag and see if they can swear you wont have the lift to shift problem. If they tell you it will be a non issue, then you can decide. If one says no prob, and the other wont, there's your answer.
    Thats a good suggestion.. Thank you. How important is the person doing the tuning at the time of install in the whole process? The Maggie dealer is quoting me four hours of tuning at $125.00 per to tune. I thought the programmer unit did the actual tuning or I am missing something here? Money is not really the issue, but I hate being taken advantage of..

My tuner took about 2.5 hours and 5 dyno pulls to dial it in the programmer is whats used to dial in your air fuel ratio along with your timing for optimal performance do not skimp on a good tuner if it comes to saving a few bucks cuase it can cost you an engine if not tuned correctly also the gauge was easy to install hardest part was welding in the wideband bung in the exhaust for the gauge

Thats good info on the guy doing the tuning. It sounds like a experienced tuner is probably the most important part of the whole process regardless of system one chooses. Thank you for your input

Thats good info on the guy doing the tuning. It sounds like a experienced tuner is probably the most important part of the whole process regardless of system one chooses. Thank you for your input
    That is a step beyond. The tune out of the box should be good, Only if you have problems, would I pay someone to customize the tune.

The tunes take months to build, and the tuners at Ripp, Mag, Prodigy, are people who do nothing but tune.

I'd trust them first, and if you find parts you don't like, id tell the manufacturer first, see if they can correct the tune for you. If that fails, then pay a tuner.

I would not jump to screwing with an established tune until i knew i had a problem with it that the person who made it will not solve. Also, your paying by the hour, so to be able to state specific problems that need attention rather than something general will keep the cost down.

"I have a dead spot at 2500 rpm in 3rd gear" "the throttle surges at cruising speed" Stuff like that. Pinpoint the problems first, it will save time and money.

finally, and most important, make sure you have a competent shop. Needs to be a race shop or tuner where the person tuning knows what they are looking at. You don't want some fool with a dyno screwing with your truck. Check references. google the shop. look at it like selecting a doctor to work on your child.