Close

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nope just that it was being adjusted as ca asked for some changes. It's gonna be a next year thing. If I thought it would work I would put a stick in it and be done. Then I could do my atlas 4 also. But no it won't work with the auto either.

Has anybody seen or felt there truck running more boost in this weather? My boost gauge hit 9 psi today and usually only hits 8. I know that when the air is colder is more dense but i dont want to risk engine damage with 9 psi

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    Has anybody seen or felt there truck running more boost in this weather? My boost gauge hit 9 psi today and usually only hits 8. I know that when the air is colder is more dense but i dont want to risk engine damage with 9 psi
    Pretty sure you are fine.

Every engine loves cold air. People run the pentastar up to 12 psi.

The Magnuson unit is actually called a Hybrid Roots lobe or Twin Vortices Series design. It is a combination between the traditional Roots system (designed in the 1860's) and the more modern Lysholm Helical Screw System (designed in the late 19th early 20th centuries)-- both are positive displacement designs and the real difference is that Roots units actually doesn't increase the pressure inside the unit. That has to be done with in the cylinder head. Where as a twin rotary screw unit does compress the air within it. Also the Twin Rotary Screw systems show less parasitic drag because they are more efficient and usually require less power to operate when compared to a roots unit.

The Ripp is a simple Centrifugal System-- basically they became popular in the 1930's when supercharging aircraft engines. They basically are just turbo-superchargers that replace the rear impeller with a drive shaft and gearing unit that directly drives from the engine. These are probably the best unit to use for two reasons: One they require little horsepower to really operate because of their small size and high speed operation. They are also are the most flexible-- you can get them with a hi-low range or even a combination of hi-low and 2-stage units if you are so inclined to do so. Those are features that you cannot get on roots or twin screw unit.

However, if you're going to spend the money-- I say use sequential turbo-superchargers... With a properly mated system you can eliminate turbo lag and produce massive horsepower with very little back pressure on the engine. It is about as free as one can get.

But no matter the system-- water methanol injection would really improve the performance overall with any fuel source.

Has anyone tried setting up a 2 step on ripps kit or is it even possible id like to do it to my 2013 jk ripp super charged

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    Has anyone tried setting up a 2 step on ripps kit or is it even possible id like to do it to my 2013 jk ripp super charged
    Do you mean two stage? You would need two Ripp units to do it. Or you would have to have a custom unit designed for you that has a second stage compressor built into it.

A 2 step in it as like launch control you would set the rpms at like 4500 for launching in 1st gear

Well, I see what you mean... Personally, I would go with a Supercharger with a clutch then after 4500rpm use a turbo-supercharger to make up the rest of the boost. this way you get immediate response with the supercharger then the turbo-supercharger picks up the power when the exhaust gases are at peak pressures and volumes.

A twincharger system (supercharger + turbo) sounds awesome in theory, but good luck implementing it well and getting all the transitions to happen smoothly for a good daily driver without more than doubling the cost of the vehicle. That kind of stuff requires good electronic control over the clutch, bypass valve, and wastegate, integrated with the rest of the engine control systems. No one makes such a kit, so it would be a totally custom system.

A sequential twin turbo setup is more realistic than twincharging, but even that would be very expensive as a one-off custom system and may suffer from some daily driving compromises with purely vacuum/spring controlled valves, etc.

It doesn't seem worthwhile to discuss theoretically optimal setups that are vastly different than what is available on the market, unless you have the money/skills necessary and plan on building and tuning a custom system.

Not really... Useless Pickles-- the Detroit Diesel two-strokers were all supercharged for low rpm idle to 650-800 up to about 1200-1300rpm and turbocharged after 1300rpm for normal use. You cannot make a two-stroke diesel and not use a supercharger for scavenging. The system has been around for decades. You're correct it does add complexity-- but you don't need electronic controls to do it. A simple clutch either mechanical or electromechanical can be used to disengage the supercharger. The bypass valve is basically just a very large waste gate and that be operated via the clutch. And waste gate itself doesn't really have anything to do with it. You operate it with or without one. The Detroits used run about 18psi of manifold pressure and they had no waste gates on them. The used to run on the big series engines like the 16V71's two supers and four turbos. So you could get 800hp at 2100rpm and 2000ft-lbs of torque-- where the maximum would be at 1600rpm and be like 2150ft-lbs. Two Stroke Diesels are incredibly flat with their torque curves.

Sequential is good. In fact International offers Sequential turbo charging on their DT series engines as does Detroit on the smaller models but their bigger models use a Compound System.

None of it is theoretical is all practical and has been done for decades. A lot of the pioneering work for turbocharging actually started during the end of WWI.