Close

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Not gonna happen. Different Jeeps with different tires/gears driven by different people, etc. Any MPG comparison would be completely meaningless. You would need someone to run two otherwise identical Jeeps with the two different superchargers through a controlled test (like EPA fuel economy test procedure) to get a valid comparison.

Look at the hundreds of discussions of MPG on Jeep forums for an example of how meaningless it is to compare actual real world MPG of two different people. I've seen people report anywhere from 14 to 21 MPG average with stock Jeeps.

RIPP vs. Magnuson...SuperCharger Shootout!

I thought that Black Betty and Sweet Pea are pretty similar: both Manual Transmissions, 4.10 rears, probably both have relatively big tires and equivalent lifts; unless all of this was just temporary for Dyno and 0-60 times during the shootout?

I do not think that recording real-world MPG over time is meaningless. Threads on MPG tend to become meaningless because owners read the "lie-o-meter" and do not hand-calculate and note fuel type, mods, top-off, hard top, type of driving, etc.

I figure this is JeepLab, so cost per HP/Torque is as valid as average cost per mile. Not trying to do some scientific EPA-like study, just what guys are actually averaging over time, which includes WOT accelerations, wheeling, commuting, or whatever else they're doing.

Am I the only guy using Fuelly? I find that it is a very good tool for many things, especially knowing what it costs per mile to drive, which really gives an idea of the true cost of ownership along with maintenance, repair, and modification spreadsheets.
    Last edited by doc5339; 10-18-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    2013 JKUR
    Magnuson Supercharger (66mm Pulley) with Catch Can
    Innovate Wide Band O2 Sensor
    Diablotoona Custom Tune
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6-Speed MT with B&M Precision Sport Shifter
    4.10 Rear Diff
    Line-X of Interior and Rock Hard 4x4 Sport Cage
    JW Speaker Headlights, Fog Lights, and Tail Lights
    BFG All-Terrain T/A KO LT265 70 17 (actual height: 30.75")

Still pretty meaningless. All descriptions of type of driving, etc, are all still quite relative/subjective. People drive differently, and the way you drive can have a big impact on MPG. Yes, tracking your own fuel economy can be helpful for budgeting, indications of engine problems, etc. But comparing your MPG to someone else with different mods tells you nothing about how that mod affected MPG. There's no way to know how much personal driving patterns/habits are contributing to differences.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Still pretty meaningless. All descriptions of type of driving, etc, are all still quite relative/subjective. People drive differently, and the way you drive can have a big impact on MPG. Yes, tracking your own fuel economy can be helpful for budgeting, indications of engine problems, etc. But comparing your MPG to someone else with different mods tells you nothing about how that mod affected MPG. There's no way to know how much personal driving patterns/habits are contributing to differences.
    I get that Pickles, I am just really curious to know how Black Betty and Sweet Pea are doing MPG-wisw, subjective as that may be.

The best you could aim for is asking people whether they noticed a change in MPG after installing their supercharger. But the problem here is that we're talking about major performance mods that are likely to cause you to change the way you drive. how much are the results impacted by changes in driving habits caused by the availability of more power? And will the same mod cause you to change your driving habits the same way? Probably not.

The point is that there are so many factors involving location, and personal driving habits/patterns that you are not going to get any valid information about which supercharger has better fuel economy by asking people on the Internet unless there are extreme differences. The only way to find out would be to do specific comparison that involved a procedure that removed as many variables as possible. but even then, the results are only valid for that particular procedure. If one supercharger gets 3 MPG better in the comparison, the same supercharger could just as easily get 3MPG worse for your particular driving patterns/habits. And you don't even know what your new driving habits will be with the additional power.

RIPP vs. Magnuson...SuperCharger Shootout!

Every driver, Dyno, road, fuel, mod, type of driving are all different. Some Jeepers, like me record fill-ups and MPG-pertinent data, and I am hoping this may be the case with Black Betty and Sweet Pea.

I simply want to know what kind of average MPG these two Jeeps have been getting, that's all. If there is no data on them, no worries.

I am not trying to go for an empirical study. The testing that has been done in the shootout is also by no means a study; it is just an idea of how the mods perform on two similar vehicles.

So I am no trying to figure which supercharger is overall better. I am just curious.
    2013 JKUR
    Magnuson Supercharger (66mm Pulley) with Catch Can
    Innovate Wide Band O2 Sensor
    Diablotoona Custom Tune
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6-Speed MT with B&M Precision Sport Shifter
    4.10 Rear Diff
    Line-X of Interior and Rock Hard 4x4 Sport Cage
    JW Speaker Headlights, Fog Lights, and Tail Lights
    BFG All-Terrain T/A KO LT265 70 17 (actual height: 30.75")

new to this site. I have a 2011 JKU sport, 4.88's 35x12.5x18. RIPP gen 2, with RIPP headers, and AFE hituck. I have the latest RIPP tune(2 weeks ago) generally speaking, I love the RIPP. for me there are not alot of rocks here in CT, but north there are plenty of trails that keep me and my family entertained. I have been thinking about adding the hi altitude pulley and somewhere in this thread(just read all of it) there was a point where JL was going to install the smaller pulley? but then it got sidetracked. I was just wondering if any of the RIPP guys on here have the smaller pulley and if it was worth the upgrade. as a said I really cannot complain about my current set up, i do experience "lift to shift" occasionally, other than that its pretty stable.

Quote Originally Posted by mpaone1040 View Post
    new to this site. I have a 2011 JKU sport, 4.88's 35x12.5x18. RIPP gen 2, with RIPP headers, and AFE hituck. I have the latest RIPP tune(2 weeks ago) generally speaking, I love the RIPP. for me there are not alot of rocks here in CT, but north there are plenty of trails that keep me and my family entertained. I have been thinking about adding the hi altitude pulley and somewhere in this thread(just read all of it) there was a point where JL was going to install the smaller pulley? but then it got sidetracked. I was just wondering if any of the RIPP guys on here have the smaller pulley and if it was worth the upgrade. as a said I really cannot complain about my current set up, i do experience "lift to shift" occasionally, other than that its pretty stable.
    I did get sidetracked. Here's why -

1. I had the SC apart when Id the clean out, and I couldn't get the standard pulley off.

2. BB is a rocket, I really didnt feel the need for more power. It made 328 hp at the rear wheel.

Another guy in the forum Deola, had the high alt pulley and his review was positive. With the 3.8 i wouldnt hesitate to crank it up. That is a very tough motor.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    1. I had the SC apart when Id the clean out, and I couldn't get the standard pulley off.
    Did you ever contact RIPP to get any advice on how to remove the pulley?

Has anyone tried the hi alt. pulley on a 3.6 at sea level conditions?