Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New ARB rear bumper

I added a new rear ARB bumper last week to match my front bumper. In typical style, the Aussie's that developed this are brilliant, and completely retarded all at the exact same time. Sometimes where they place holes is dumb. Sometimes their quality control is not that great. Their instructions are horrible, as usual, and they do NOTHING to help you identify all the nuts, bolts and other pieces. It's literally a guessing game where you sit down for an hour and read through the "included parts" list trying to guess which bolt in your hand matches a description on the sheet. You'd think at the least they could put a picture of the part, but NOPE. Every now and then they toss the word "black" or "SS" (stainless steel) or "Z"/"Zinc" in which can make all the difference in the world when you are staring at two bolts of the exact same size and dimension and questioning both of them against another bolt of completely different size. Also... as always... their shipping box is horrible. I have yet to read a post from a single person that didn't indicate their bumper was damaged in some way as it came from Australia. True to form, I had a small part that took a hit. It can't be seen really well and didn't bother me too much so I just ran with it.

Yeah, so that's all the bad stuff, plenty to scare you away from this product. The GOOD side... For what you get, it is actually priced very competitively compared to other bumpers. The metal is STOUT! The finish they put on it is tough. They do think through the fact that this bumper needs to be used for extraction so any brackets or hi lift jack points are built tough and in the right spots. Lastly, it's pretty easy on the eyes. It may not win the prettiest bumper contest, but it certainly won't offend anyone (key when it comes time for resale.) The other MAJOR positive to this is that it's one of the few rear bumpers that you can order it as just the bumper and add on a tire carrier later that integrates directly into the bumper/frame. I found lots of other bumpers that provide tire carriers but most need to be ordered either with or without and then you were stuck with that decision. I already run the TeraFlex HD Tire Carrier which as been working well for me so I don't need a bigger/stronger carrier, but I do like the option in case the TeraFlex no longer works for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160728_18_23_17_Rich.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	1713

When I ordered the ARB bumper, I also ordered a set of Mopar High Top Fenders. My 37" tires will rub the current fenders when flexed, as can be seen in the following photo from this last weekend. I like the look of a full fender but I wanted something that would allow the tire to stuff in there and also provide more coverage over my tires. My wheels have a 44mm offset, and then they are 13.5" wide, so they stick out a fair amount beyond the fenders. I've found when I have the top off and I'm cruising down a dirt road that the front tires kick a good amount of dust up. It's not a problem at high speed, but at low speed that dust gets in my eyes and the contacts really don't like that! I took a look at Bushwhacker Pocket fender flares as they are around 2" wider than stock. As I researched though, I realized that though they are 2" wider, they do this by basically extended 2" on to the same dimensions of the stock flares, which means my tires will still hit the fender, you just won't see it as well because it will be inside a bit more. That's when I stumbled on the Mopar High Top fenders. They are not only 2" wider but they actually move the fender 2" up. They indicate that with their fenders you can run 35" tires with only a 2.5" lift and you will not get fender rub at full flex. I like the look of the Bushwhacker deep pocket's, but the ultimate purpose is to get as much coverage without fender rub so this is pretty much the best option I found. They are currently on back order so I'm still waiting to receive them. When they come in I'm going to toss them over to a painter to paint them gloss black. I wouldn't be surprised if most people who look at the Jeep by the time they are on will know that "something" is different but will not be able to put their finger on what's different as it still looks a lot like the factory fenders.

Name:	WP_20160730_19_58_06_Rich.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	1714

Name:	parking3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	1715

Name:	WP_20160730_19_58_35_Rich.jpg 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	1717

Example of Mopar High Top Fenders as shown off by the Mopar concept Jeep from 2013

Name:	the-serious-six-concept-jeeps-from-moab-jeep-wrangler-flattop.jpg 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1716
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

I like the fenders. a LOT.

Whats the weight on the bumper?

how about a better pic?

Well... Ross giving your thumbs up on the Mopar High Top fenders means a lot, given that you had probably some of the coolest fenders around. I'll be sure to snap some pics when they are on. They are on back order, plus they need paint, so I would imagine it won't be until September that they will go on and I can get some pics of them.

The rear ARB bumper is surprisingly light. Comes in at a mere 80 lbs. (the front bumper is 125 lbs, so this feels way lighter compared to that.)

Yep, I can snag some more pics.

I forgot to mention another reason I went with this bumper is that they move the point that bumper touches the fender back by, ohhh... 2"... Just happens to be the same amount that the new Mopar High Top fenders will move. My hope is that the new fenders will actually end up matching up with the ARB bumper really well. Currently the stock fenders now have a gap to the bumper that didn't exist with the stock bumper. I'll try to snap some pics that highlight this.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

yea, if those flares look oem and allow 37s that sounds like a win.

The best mods are the ones where people have to scratch their head and wonder if its stock.

So did you buy those fender flares? Posting some pics would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by aceron32 View Post
    So did you buy those fender flares? Posting some pics would be nice.
    I did. In fact, it is the other thread that you commented on last week about using the 303 Protectant on.

As JeepLab said, the best mods are the ones people have to wonder if they are stock or not. I'm guessing you thought the pics in that thred were "stock" fender flares ;-)