Close

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Sprintex 3.6 pentastar install

Let me start off by saying the post will be slow at first because I am visiting my parents in Costa Rica and I don't have access to my jeep or the desire to live on my tablet.

I am not sponsored by sprintex and chose their system because I enjoyed talking to their USA rep and their price crushed the competition. (military discount) I also am a fan of low end torque and according to the dyno charts that what their system provides.

My old ride was a 88 YJ. It had a 383 stroker in it and had scary amounts of power. The replacement is a 2012 JKU automatic with the 3.73 axle and 35 inch tires. Not a slug like a 2011, but not thrilling either.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0174_1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3163.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	1350
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01118.jpg  
    Last edited by Icheer4beer; 10-24-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Initial thoughts: at first I wasn't impressed. The acceleration wasn't there and it was noisy. On day two my opinion changed. I actually gave it more than 20‰ throttle and I was impressed. I was used to my V8 that makes a lot of noisy when it goes. This doesn't. It just spins up and goes. My son says it sounds like a race car. You can hear the blower when you give it gas. It accelerates like a bat out of hell. I haven't given it full throttle yet. There has been no need to. I am at Highway speeds before I even hit the end of the on ramp.

I was worried that it would be loud at cruise speeds. It's is there but not bothersome at all. With the stereo going you can't even hear it.

Pros:
    Wicked acceleration
    Sounds cool
    Power band is where I drive.
    Cons:
    Fuel economy - about 12-14 mpg. It was 16+.
    Burns premium

I think the fuel economy will get better. The current program tends to have the transmission shift at 5k. I have noticed that I can tap the shift lever and make it shift at lower rpm which should help. I will track that more when I get home.

It is 5 o'clock. So we all know of what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Icheer4beer View Post
    I haven't given it full throttle yet. There has been no need to.
    There's definitely a need to use full throttle... a need for SPEED!

I used full throttle with my turbo about 10 minutes into my first drive

BTW, this is from Sprintex's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sprintexusa...301300/?type=1

Boom! This is a stock Jeep on stock tires with a stock Sprintex Supercharger intercooled 3.6L system. 6spd, nearly full tank of gas.

This is not my dyno, Sprintex sent it.

Worth a look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JK 3.6L Pentastar Dyno 12.09.14 .jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1354

I have been a little gun shy with full throttle. On my YJ I was always afraid of busting my chain in my transfer case. I will get more comfortable with the power in the JK and exercise it higher throttle rates. I am taking it wheeling next weekend and hopefully mid month we should have some state side dyno sheets on it.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    There's definitely a need to use full throttle... a need for SPEED!

I used full throttle with my turbo about 10 minutes into my first drive

BTW, this is from Sprintex's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sprintexusa...301300/?type=1

This is an incredible 0-60. What's the gear ratio? Id like to do some math on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    This is an incredible 0-60. What's the gear ratio? Id like to do some math on it.
    Must be a stripped down 2 door

I'm a little suspect of that dyno chart. There is no way a 2012+ stock Pentastar produces that much torque. According to that dyno, the factory torque at the wheel is 238 and the horse power is 194. Since Chrysler published 265 torque and 285 horse power numbers at the crank, I don't see how Sprintex's numbers add up. How does it only lose 27 torque, but loses 91 horsepower? Most dyno numbers that I've seen from Magnuson and RIPP are publishing stock torque numbers in the 175-185 range and horse power numbers between 175-200.

With that said, adjusting the Sprintex torque number downward so that it is similar to other stock dyno numbers that I've seen published, their final numbers after installing the supercharger are on par with Magnuson's numbers and close to RIPP's output. RIPP doesn't have the torque down low like Sprintex, but has higher overall numbers in the upper rpm band.

Quote Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
    I'm a little suspect of that dyno chart. There is no way a 2012+ stock Pentastar produces that much torque. According to that dyno, the factory torque at the wheel is 238 and the horse power is 194. Since Chrysler published 265 torque and 285 horse power numbers at the crank, I don't see how Sprintex's numbers add up. How does it only lose 27 torque, but loses 91 horsepower? Most dyno numbers that I've seen from Magnuson and RIPP are publishing stock torque numbers in the 175-185 range and horse power numbers between 175-200.

With that said, adjusting the Sprintex torque number downward so that it is similar to other stock dyno numbers that I've seen published, their final numbers after installing the supercharger are on par with Magnuson's numbers and close to RIPP's output. RIPP doesn't have the torque down low like Sprintex, but has higher overall numbers in the upper rpm band.
    I think the 0-60 may be too good to be true also. 4.9 is getting into real sports car territory. I'd like to see some info from someone other than sprintex.

Tomorrow, if everything works out, we are taking the jeep wheeling.

It threw a check engine code yesterday and another one last night. The first one was a misfire and I haven't checked the other one yet. They (sprintex) were very quick to get back to me. Unfortunately, it's SEMA week and I told them I would be patient while it was going on.

I will try and take more pics tomorrow and I will let everyone know what code I am getting.

The computer is learning my driving and the shifting is getting better. Shifts around 3k now unless I am accelerating hard. Gas mileage is up around 16.

Overall, I am happy with it. Great acceleration, clean looking install, not too loud and fair price. If I keep getting codes, then my happiness will go down.