Close

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    How about a JeepLab recon mission? Pay for my round-trip ticket from Detroit to Palm Beach and a night in a motel, and I'll do some interrogations and take pictures. Maybe I'll even convince them to let me drive their test vehicle for some exclusive pre-release impressions
    the mission impossible theme song plays in the background....

But then as I approach the turbo Jeep to drive it, this starts playing:

Last edited by JeepLab; 03-12-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Just talked to prodigy. Paper instructions are unavailable right now.

They have the prototype working and will be doing some high speed testing of their own. Then tearing the prototype down and building the jigs to mass produce all the custom pipe they made.

Once the jigs are made, they will reinstall their unit with pictures and what not to make clear instructions. They assure me its completely bolt on, no cutting anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    They have the prototype working and will be doing some high speed testing of their own. Then tearing the prototype down and building the jigs to mass produce all the custom pipe they made.

Once the jigs are made, they will reinstall their unit with pictures and what not to make clear instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    I spoke to Prodigy last friday, and they told me that they are planning to have the kit completed in 10 days!
    10 days from last Friday would be next Monday. That sounds pretty optimistic, depending on what exactly they mean by "have the kit completed". Sounds like it doesn't mean it will be ready to ship that soon.

A couple minor tidbits:

Everything is going smoothly and as planned with the final prototype. They hope have some new info (presumably dyno results) ready to publish next week.

Also, they don't foresee any problems with the stock clutch. I was a bit concerned about maybe needing to upgrade to a stronger clutch ($$$!), so I'm glad to hear this.

not needing to install a new clutch is huge! this gets more exciting every day. Their timeline sounds pretty aggressive but I'm sure they are going full speed trying to get it to market.

This should really be good👍being in Colorado even the Pentastar needs some help 😕

There's some people poo-pooing all over my thread about the turbo over on the wranglerforum, with comments such as, "When are you ever going to get the RPMs high enough to even get the turbo spooling off road?"

I decided to actually do some basic math and answer that question, and I think the results are interesting enough to share over here. The following is a copy/paste of my reply...

Since we don't have details on the 3.6 turbo kit, let's talk in terms of the existing 3.8 turbo kit, 12 psi. Here's the torque gains at a few rpms (refer to the dyno chart I posted earlier if you want to confirm the numbers):

2000 rpm: 25 ft-lb, 16% gain
    2500 rpm: 55 ft-lb, 33% gain
    3000 rpm: 105 ft-lb, 68% gain
    3500 rpm: 185 ft-lb, 116% gain

Now let's look at the speeds attained at the same rpms.

First, let's assume my plain old stock Wrangler Sport with 29" tires and 3.21 gears, in 1st gear, 4LO.

2000 rpm: 5.3 mph (25 ft-lb, 16% gain)
    2500 rpm: 6.6 mph (55 ft-lb, 33% gain)
    3000 rpm: 7.9 mph (105 ft-lb, 68% gain)
    3500 rpm: 9.3 mph (185 ft-lb, 116% gain)

So there you have it. Significant gains in the 5-10 mph range. That is a very common speed range for me on the off-road trails that I drive on. If you are not focused on extremely slow rock crawling, then this is usable torque for you.

But that's pretty tall gearing for off-roading. How about a Rubicon with the 4:1 transfer case, 33" tires and 4.10 gears?

(EDIT: corrected a miscalculation of speeds)
    2000 rpm: 2.7 mph (25 ft-lb, 16% gain)
    2500 rpm: 3.4 mph (55 ft-lb, 33% gain)
    3000 rpm: 4.0 mph (105 ft-lb, 68% gain)
    3500 rpm: 4.7 mph (185 ft-lb, 116% gain)

I'd say that looks pretty damn usable for low-speed off-roading. Maybe still not extreme rock-crawling usable, but I'm not a rock crawler, so I don't know.

The kinds of trails I drive on, I'm often in the 5-10 mph range in 4LO and 1st gear. Yes, I actually keep it in 1st gear so I can make use of the mid/high rpm range and the power that comes with it!

I hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 03-15-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    There's some people poo-pooing all over my thread about the turbo over on the wranglerforum, with comments such as, "When are you ever going to get the RPMs high enough to even get the turbo spooling off road?".
    I've gotten the same note in each supercharger thread.

Its a short sighted opinion that is easy to throw out with little knowledge of superchargers and their uses offroad.

The answer to this question, is when your offroad, you can crawl in lower gear, at higher rpm WHEN you need more power. RATHER than goose the throttle.

I did a video on this technique. Its a very simple concept, and I dont understand why some people cant grasp it.

The extra power is useful when your slow offroad and fast on the highway, You just need to manipulate the RPM to use it... when its called for.

It's kind of a strange conflict of priorities I see. People want to gear down their axles (numerically higher) a lot for better low speed off-road grunt, but then there seems to be a general fear of using anything over 3000 rpm. The whole point of gears, 4LO, and the transmission is to have the ability to take advantage of the engine's power as best as possible at any speed. By the very definition of power, if you have any sort of decent torque curve, peak power will be in the upper RPM range. Numerically higher gears in the axle allows you to reach higher power levels of your engine at lower ground speeds. If you continue to always shift below 3000 rpm after re-gearing, then you're kinda missing the point.

I had someone tell me in a thread that they "couldn't conceive of ever running any vehicle at 4000 rpms under any conditions". It was a thread where he was complaining about wanting stronger acceleration. If you want the power, downshift and rev it up! There's a rev limiter around 6400 or 6500 to keep you in a safe operating range. You will not hurt the engine.