Close

Prodigy Stage 2 Turbo question

Hi

I'm a new member to the forum.
    I was planning to buy the prpdigy stage 2 turbo for my 12 manual JK

After reading pickless DIY thread and the jeeplab thread, I got more interested in joining the forum and ask you guys some questions that will help me decide about whether I should go for the turbo or not.

I live in Dubai where the weather in summer is very hot and the temps could reach up to 120 F. What should I buy with the turbo kit to make it more reliable in hot summer days? 180 degrees thermostat? A turbo blanket? Vented hood? Upgraded radiator? All of the above?

What about the reliability of the turbo as a daily driver in hot weathers?

This is the main concern I have right now and maybe will have more questions comin.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Prodigy has several customers in the middle east already, so they may already have some feedback and recommendations for hot climates. I believe they offer a water-cooled ball bearing Garrett turbo option primarily for hotter climates. Maybe Prodigy can help you contact some customers or install shops in the middle east that already have experience with their turbo kit so you can get some ideas of what is necessary/helpful.

* Turbo blanket for sure. I consider that a recommendation for everyone, even in mild/cold climates.

* Ceramic coating on the pipes should help with under-hood temps and intake air temps, which will help the engine run cooler. How much will this help? I have no idea. The pipes between the engine and the turbo will be the hottest, so those would be highest priority for coating. Keeping the heat inside the pipes can also help the turbo run more efficiently . The downpipe may be worth coating also, but will have a smaller impact on under-hood temps than the pipes before the turbo.

* The stock catalytic converters are removed when installing the turbo (one on each side of the engine, tucked up in the engine compartment), and the turbo exhaust system includes a high-flow catalytic converter that is below the front seat on the left side. That's two sources of heat removed already

* I've seen mixed opinions on a 180* thermostat. If you don't adjust the calibration of the radiator fans to come on at lower temps to match the thermostat, then you only cause the engine to heat up more slowly, but the computer/fans will still try to keep the temperature in the low 200* range. If the computer is recalibrated to match the thermostat, then you may be running the engine at a lower temperature than it was designed for (reduced efficiency, more pollution, etc). I would talk to Prodigy about this and find out what their other middle-east customers have done.

* Vented hood seems like an easy way to help keep the under hood temps lower. I like what I've read about the Daystar Hood Cowl and Side Vents. They are actually designed and tested to flow hot air out even at low speeds. Some vented hood designs depend on airflow over the hood to draw the heat out. Check out posts #8 and #11 in this thread: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...50#post2773050. I'm slightly concerned about rain getting in the side vent, because it's somewhat close to the air filter. I would probably use a water repellant air filter wrap (Outerwears, for example) to protect the air filter from water dripping/splashing through the hood vent. But maybe it doesn't rain often enough in Dubai for this to be a concern for you

* The turbo does not seem not produce much excess heat when driving "normal". It only spools up and produces a lot of heat when the engine is under heavy load. For daily driving, I think concerns about under-hood heat from the turbo are exaggerated. But it might be a valid concern in 120*F heat. Again, I think Prodigy may be your best source of info about this because they have sold several kits in hot climates already.

I just got an answer from Prodigy that most customers in hot climates get the 180* thermostat, and Prodigy supplies a variation of the tune for it.

Wow! Great info!

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    * Turbo blanket for sure. I consider that a recommendation for everyone, even in mild/cold climates.
    I have already contacted prodigy and they gave me a blanket for free with the stage 2 kit 👍

*Ceramic coating on the pipes should help with under-hood temps and intake air temps, which will help the engine run cooler. How much will this help? I have no idea. The pipes between the engine and the turbo will be the hottest, so those would be highest priority for coating. Keeping the heat inside the pipes can also help the turbo run more efficiently . The downpipe may be worth coating also, but will have a smaller impact on under-hood temps than the pipes before the turbo.
    Great idea. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

* I've seen mixed opinions on a 180* thermostat. If you don't adjust the calibration of the radiator fans to come on at lower temps to match the thermostat, then you only cause the engine to heat up more slowly, but the computer/fans will still try to keep the temperature in the low 200* range. If the computer is recalibrated to match the thermostat, then you may be running the engine at a lower temperature than it was designed for (reduced efficiency, more pollution, etc). I would talk to Prodigy about this and find out what their other middle-east customers have done.
    Dan from Prodigy did offer me to install the 180 deg thermostat with a matching tune from them.

* Vented hood seems like an easy way to help keep the under hood temps lower. I like what I've read about the Daystar Hood Cowl and Side Vents. They are actually designed and tested to flow hot air out even at low speeds. Some vented hood designs depend on airflow over the hood to draw the heat out. Check out posts #8 and #11 in this thread: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...50#post2773050. I'm slightly concerned about rain getting in the side vent, because it's somewhat close to the air filter. I would probably use a water repellant air filter wrap (Outerwears, for example) to protect the air filter from water dripping/splashing through the hood vent. But maybe it doesn't rain often enough in Dubai for this to be a concern for you
    It doesn't rain much here but when it does, it's heavy😅. I'm thinking of running a snorkel but otherwise will definitely go with the filter wrap.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your feedback. I'll keep posting updates about the setup. 👍

We have many turbo systems in the middle east. To combat the climate there a few things are done.

1. We only ship with 180’ thermostats- this lowers engine operating temperatures 25’F
    2. We modify the fan operating temperatures in both the trans temp and coolant temp maps
    3. We have programmed the computer to modify engine timing based on IAT. This prevents pre-ignition and lowers combustion temps.
    4. We run a desired afr 10.7-11.4 for these vehicles. This extra fuel reduces combustion temp.
    5. Lastly, we strongly benefit here by having the LARGEST front mount intercooler. This is the most obvious secret.
    6. If the Jeep is being used in dunes or racing we recommend the customer install an aftermarket trans cooler with a fan if equipped with auto trans

Quote Originally Posted by boosted1 View Post
    We have many turbo systems in the middle east. To combat the climate there a few things are done.

1. We only ship with 180’ thermostats- this lowers engine operating temperatures 25’F
    2. We modify the fan operating temperatures in both the trans temp and coolant temp maps
    3. We have programmed the computer to modify engine timing based on IAT. This prevents pre-ignition and lowers combustion temps.
    4. We run a desired afr 10.7-11.4 for these vehicles. This extra fuel reduces combustion temp.
    5. Lastly, we strongly benefit here by having the LARGEST front mount intercooler. This is the most obvious secret.
    6. If the Jeep is being used in dunes or racing we recommend the customer install an aftermarket trans cooler with a fan if equipped with auto trans
    Great. Thanks for the reply.
    My order is almost done. I can't wait to get my turbo!