Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Unnamed base model 2013 2-door sport with manual transmission. The only option added is A/C.

Mods so far:
    * Removed "Wrangler" and "Sport" stickers.
    * Marker lights converted to turn signals
    * Quadratec "premium" hitch receiver
    * At least 5 lbs of sand hidden throughout the Jeep from driving at Silver Lake sand dunes with the top down.

Future plans:
    * Remove "Jeep" emblem on grill (the grill itself already says "Jeep" by itself)
    * Supercharger or Turbo (waiting for JeepLab reviews/comparisons)
    * 33x12.5x15 Duratracs
    * AEV 2.5" lift
    * Re-gear + TruTrac LSD front & rear

Should be very fun for both daily driving and mild/moderate off-roading (no rock crawling or other stuff that requires lockers).
    "Trail Rigs are built not bought" - Jeremy Rock Krawler

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    "Trail Rigs are built not bought" - Jeremy Rock Krawler
    I've noticed that this idea means quite different things to different people. What exactly does it mean to "build" your Jeep rather than "buy" it?

I've seen some people take the concept to the extreme and belittle others for purchasing aftermarket parts/kits and/or paying for professional installation. Their idea about a "built" jeep that is not "bought" is that you start with junkyard scrap and put it together with your own fabrication skills and elbow grease. Why buy a professionally designed/manufactured component if you can weld some scrap metal together into a seemingly acceptable alternative?

I think the idea of a "built, not bought" Jeep is more about the awareness of what your real goals are (what terrain do you ACTUALLY drive on, and what mods/equipment help you there?), researching, and making your own decisions. If you buy a Jeep just because it was on the dealer's lot and looked cool with the overpriced dealer-installed aftermarket lift, tires, winch, etc, then your Jeep really is "bought, not built".

If you can fabricate your own parts and have the skills/time/tools to perform your own engine swaps, etc., then that's awesome. But if you have more money than you have mechanical skills/tools/time, then there's nothing wrong with "buying" parts, kits or professional labor. There's some components that require significant engineering/testing to be effective and safe. There's some modifications that require years of specialized experience and a collection of special tools to get it done properly/safely. If you don't have the required skills/tools, and the required skills/tools are not reasonably within reach for you, then it's just stupid/unsafe to try doing it yourself for the sake of claiming that it is "built, not bought".

My definition of a "built" jeep:

1) Decide how you plan to use your Jeep, do some research, and decide what features/mods you want to improve your enjoyment and the Jeep's capability in the situations that *YOU* plan to drive it.

2) Purchase the best Jeep available as-is that you can afford and requires the least amount of total investment (money, time, labor, including initial purchase of vehicle) to go from where it is to what you want.

3) DRIVE your Jeep as-is to confirm that you want the mods that you think you want. Maybe you'll discover that you actually enjoy driving in different places/ways than you had planned, and therefore need to re-think your overall plan for mods.

4) Apply some mods using whatever resources/strengths you have (money for parts/labor? skills for fabrication/labor?). No matter how you are able to get it done, at least make an effort to expand your knowledge/skills so that you can be more personally involved and confident with your next mod.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4.

If you can talk about your Jeep with other Jeep owners, identify the mods on it, and intelligently discuss why you have those mods and how they apply to your style of Jeep usage (compare/contrast to other options, etc), then I think it qualifies as a "built, not bought" Jeep. It doesn't really matter how much money vs. personal labor/skill went into it.

I simply take the built versus bought to mean that its good to understand your rig as its built and be as involved as possible. Much in the same way that its ideal to learn to off road in a stock vehicle, then upgrade as necessary, building your skills and equipment as you move forward.

Just buying a ferrari doesn't make one a good driver. A lot must be learned along the way.

I've noticed that this idea means quite different things to different people. What exactly does it mean to "build" your Jeep rather than "buy" it?

I've seen some people take the concept to the extreme and belittle others for purchasing aftermarket parts/kits and/or paying for professional installation. Their idea about a "built" jeep that is not "bought" is that you start with junkyard scrap and put it together with your own fabrication skills and elbow grease. Why buy a professionally designed/manufactured component if you can weld some scrap metal together into a seemingly acceptable alternative?

I think the idea of a "built, not bought" Jeep is more about the awareness of what your real goals are (what terrain do you ACTUALLY drive on, and what mods/equipment help you there?), researching, and making your own decisions. If you buy a Jeep just because it was on the dealer's lot and looked cool with the overpriced dealer-installed aftermarket lift, tires, winch, etc, then your Jeep really is "bought, not built".

If you can fabricate your own parts and have the skills/time/tools to perform your own engine swaps, etc., then that's awesome. But if you have more money than you have mechanical skills/tools/time, then there's nothing wrong with "buying" parts, kits or professional labor. There's some components that require significant engineering/testing to be effective and safe. There's some modifications that require years of specialized experience and a collection of special tools to get it done properly/safely. If you don't have the required skills/tools, and the required skills/tools are not reasonably within reach for you, then it's just stupid/unsafe to try doing it yourself for the sake of claiming that it is "built, not bought".

My definition of a "built" jeep:

1) Decide how you plan to use your Jeep, do some research, and decide what features/mods you want to improve your enjoyment and the Jeep's capability in the situations that *YOU* plan to drive it.

2) Purchase the best Jeep available as-is that you can afford and requires the least amount of total investment (money, time, labor, including initial purchase of vehicle) to go from where it is to what you want.

3) DRIVE your Jeep as-is to confirm that you want the mods that you think you want. Maybe you'll discover that you actually enjoy driving in different places/ways than you had planned, and therefore need to re-think your overall plan for mods.

4) Apply some mods using whatever resources/strengths you have (money for parts/labor? skills for fabrication/labor?). No matter how you are able to get it done, at least make an effort to expand your knowledge/skills so that you can be more personally involved and confident with your next mod.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4.

If you can talk about your Jeep with other Jeep owners, identify the mods on it, and intelligently discuss why you have those mods and how they apply to your style of Jeep usage (compare/contrast to other options, etc), then I think it qualifies as a "built, not bought" Jeep. It doesn't really matter how much money vs. personal labor/skill went into it.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. I heard jeremy say that on our way "behind the rocks" in moab, because someone was asking him about the parts he used on his own truck. He started with a sport and put a pro rock 44 on it, and a lunchbox locker. He was also talking to a friend and not me, I overheard him.

So to a gear head, starting with the least amount of technology and building it may be part of the fun, or they might feel they can build it more to their specifications.

Black Betty, on the other hand, is a rubicon. So did I "buy" a trail rig? maybe. But I like the fit and finish of pushing a button for my locker. The auto sway bar disconnect i think is more of a gimmick because it dosent truly disconnect the sway bar, And I think its a pain that you cant drive in 4 hi with it disconnected.

The point of posting the quote, is that those two schools of thought are roads to the same destination. The question is where do you want to start on the path. And also, that Pickles, and Jeremy from Rock Krawler basically picked the same hardware to start with.

Sorry for the slight thread derailment. Now back to our regularly scheduled topic:

Sorry for the slight thread derailment. Now back to our regularly scheduled topic:

Is that a pile of snow?

Yes. When they plowed the parking lot, they piled the snow in the back row of parking spaces. I'm perfectly in my normal spot.

Yes. When they plowed the parking lot, they piled the snow in the back row of parking spaces. I'm perfectly in my normal spot.
    Gotta love Jeeps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14868_10152306489819756_664835757_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	407

New grill and painted the headlights rings. Franks is next weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14868_10152306489819756_664835757_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.1 KB