Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nitto Mud Grappler aka Reptilian Awesomeness

Size in use- 35x12.50x17 shoved under a heavy 2012 JKUR. Used in a mountainous region of Virginia where every known weather condition other than a Tsunami is typically experienced weekly. No large rocks like the out west crawlers get to experience really, but lots of loose shale, smooth stone, and step ups present a similar problem for tires.

Mud- Owns it! Can slow roll up the mountain without ever clogging its tread with the nasty red clay. It will claw (pun intended) through all the nasty stuff and ask for more. The huge side lugs really help make this happen.

Rain- These tires have plenty of off road grip in wet grass and forest leaf litter, when wheeling in rain. I have never experienced any hydroplaning while on road with the mud grapplers, but I realize I’m in a lifted JK on mud terrains that the bank still owns….so my on road thrashing tends to stick to when surfaces are dry. They do tend to bite well when on the brakes hard on wet pavement, better than the stock 32” Rubicon tires in my opinion.

Sound- Huh?! I can’t hear you! Seriously though the stock radio will be in excess of volume setting 20 when travelling above 60 mph. There is no carpet in my Jeep though, but everywhere there was carpet there is Line-X sprayed in. This is not a highway tire.

Ride- Much better than expected in dry conditions than I would have originally thought. I routinely cross three steep curvy mountains in my travels, and I fling the Jeep when the roads are clear and the traffic is nil. At low speeds on pavement you feel the aggressive tread (<10mph).

Braking- If you’re driving for your skill, your vehicle capabilities, the weather, and the ominous “other driver” your fine just don’t ask them to compensate for your lack of judgment. Overall I have been truly impressed with these 35’s that stop better than stock smaller rubbers.

Would I buy again? Well this is my second set. I picked up (5) 35x12.5xr17s for $1,475 mounted and balanced. I think they are a great off-road tire for the money. I am a career Firefighter/EMT for a department 30 miles from where I live, which means no matter the weather I have to get to work on time. I trust these tires to help my Jeep get me there.

Pros- During hunting season last year I took my jeep up abandoned logging roads on Jack Mountain in Highland County. Not impressive really until you add in the ¾” of ice under 21” snow in 0 degree weather. After I got my deer I stopped on the way down to pull out two family members who tried to follow my tracks (one on a 4-wheeler the other in a side by side). I have a winch, but I have never had to use it and I credit to these tires.

Cons- THIS IS NOT A HIGHWAY TIRE. If you buy this tire to ride around town, it would be like buying a Rottweiler to stuff in your girlfriend’s purse. This tire does a great job doing what it’s made to do, however if my JK was my daily driver I would have a different set of tires.
    Last edited by JeepLab; 03-10-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: spacing

Excellent review and they seem reasonably priced.It sounds like they do really well off road. One thing that was nice about the stock Rubicon tires was just how well the drove on the highway. You could hit 85 in those things and not worry. I guess its all a trade-off.

Deola put just about the same way I would have. They dig, and claw and spit mud like champs.

if you dont mind the noise.

Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Excellent review and they seem reasonably priced.It sounds like they do really well off road. One thing that was nice about the stock Rubicon tires was just how well the drove on the highway. You could hit 85 in those things and not worry. I guess its all a trade-off.
    I really think that's why this forum and threads like this are so useful. A jeep is a rolling tool to suit your needs, and everyone has different priorities of what they NEED. Ads from companies for jeep parts are shady at best anymore. Unless you have access to honest reviews then you may be buying a part only to turn around and buy a different version that works for your use. When I pulled my stock rubicon tires off my dad pulled the street slicks off his sport and threw the BFGs on, and they were perfect for him.

Some tire images I had on my phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Deola View Post
    Those are really meaty on the sidewall. I bet they grip like hell when aired down as more of that side wall gets under the jeep.

That thing is MEAN. I cant keep my eyes off the hood.

Keep These coming. Im going to be in the market soon. Maybe show some ATs

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    Keep These coming. Im going to be in the market soon. Maybe show some ATs
    I will be doing the terra grapplers soon, just want to put them through their paces a bit more.

I will be doing the terra grapplers soon, just want to put them through their paces a bit more.

This guy's on FIRE!